Exhaust Brake

Hey Guys,
Just wondering about other peoples opinions on using the exhaust brake on your truck.
I tend to use it when I’m carrying a heavy load or going down steep banks (usually around the North Yorkshire Moors).
I had a driver trainer come out with me for a couple of hours today and he said the company expect a driver to have the exhaust brake turned on at all times. I’ve also been told buy a previous driver trainer from another company to only use it when you need it.
Dave

Use it all the time its better on fuel and saves on pads/linnings

Use it all the time, the brakes last longer/don’t wear out as quick.

Won’t make much difference to you on general work, but will make a difference to the company when the truck does more miles between re-lines.

On Volvos I think the default setting is on anyway. Saves brakes, doesn’t do any harm.

It is their truck so drive it how they want it driven.

Use it all the time when it is a good one, if it is one that doesnt make a lot of difference, then I dont bother.
If it is a good one and you are unladen, you don`t usually have to use the footbrake if you drive smoothly.

Conor:
On Volvos I think the default setting is on anyway. Saves brakes, doesn’t do any harm.

It is their truck so drive it how they want it driven.
[/quote]
True, I have no issue using it mind it doesnt make any difference to me…Anything to get them to take me on full time :slight_smile:

I use it all the time, getting the best from it requires you to think ahead and read the road, that’s how it should be done :wink:

Use all the time, its there to be used, if its one (like Volvo and Jake) that retards instead of simply making a silly noise like most simple exhausters, then use common sense to adjust the setting down when empty and/or in slippery conditions.

Yeah turn it off in snow or ice or if its greasy if its a volvo or renault.The others on the market are poor

Be carefull on slippery roads as the exhaust brake can cause loss of traction.

Foden exhaust brakes were crap. A silly rasping noise and little else except when the button stuck to the floor.
Jake brakes however…fantastic. Great for frightening tourists going down the High Street in Burford.
:smiling_imp:

With my vast experience, I use it all the time. I don’t have a huge amount to compare between different types, but on the MAN I usually drive (with a comfort shift), it seems pretty effective, and as mentioned earlier, if unladen and planned carefully, I rarely use the footbrake. Even with a load on, the effect is still very noticeable, and reduces the foot pressure considerably.

When I drive one of the auto MANs, or on the Scania Opticruise I drove last week, the bit I didn’t like is the lag whilst it sorts out the best gear. At least on the Scania, once it kicked in it worked well, whereas on the auto MAN’s it just seems to make a noise, but doesn’t seem to have anywhere near the same effect as the manual.

Gary

I always have the exhaust brake turned on im nearly always full weight for a 26 tonner. and it is a god send with the roads round buxton and ashbourne just needs a few revs to really get it working

scaniason:
on the MAN I usually drive (with a comfort shift), it seems pretty effective

I’ve driven one of these, a 16 speed. I was very impressed.
With the comfort shift matching the engine speed before re engaging, you can bring it down to walking pace without touching a pedal!!

I use it all the time if there’s either a sensible way of operating manually or can be switched to apply automatically with service brake.

I have come across quiet a few folk that have been told by trainers only to apply on long downhills. I don’t know why they say this. Older vehicles do sometimes have a switch/method of operation that’s unsuitable to use on anything but long downhill stretches though.

dci320:

There will be cases of this scenario occurring but I always think the risk is often a bit exaggerated in anything but extreme icy conditions.

Own Account Driver:

dci320:

There will be cases of this scenario occurring but I always think the risk is often a bit exaggerated in anything but extreme icy conditions.

Speaking from experience i would say thats wrong.Last week in my premium it locked up and started to drift in the rain but i always have my hand near it when it rains so to knock it off

I only switch it on when I know it’s needed, slowing down on m’way slip roads etc. it comes on automatic in cruise control when I run over 92kmph. I find it’s handy if you need to shed a little speed at night and it’s not worth using the brakes, I brake, lad behind thinks wtf and he brakes and the lad behind him etc etc etc, no need

Bud143:
Use it all the time its better on fuel and saves on pads/linnings

True :slight_smile:

… But ! I never leave mine on, I find that using it to help retarding the speed when loaded is good but when on a flat stretch and loaded, once you reach the top speed, taking your fott off the gas and letting the weight of the load push you along is very fule saving, if you leave the exhaust brake on you either have to rest your foot on the accererator to stop the thing from engaging or let it slow you up.
It is also very wrong to not use it in snow, if the exhaust brake doesn’t slow you up in snow by using the drive axle you can bet your life the foot brakes won’t and after countless very snowy and harsh winters up here I know I tell the truth about that.

Bud143:

Own Account Driver:

dci320:

Speaking from experience i would say thats wrong.Last week in my premium it locked up and started to drift in the rain but i always have my hand near it when it rains so to knock it off

I run a Premium and haven’t had that, are you sure you weren’t light on the pin? Mine’s not new but I don’t think it would have the guts to lock the drive axle in anything but ice.