Exhaust Brake

The jake brake on the oshkosh het makes me smile put it on full and watch people jump :laughing:

The exhaust brake and retarder doesn’t work with the modern way of driving, when the instructors use the oft repeated mantra

“brakes to slow, gears to go.”

The exhaust brake needs gases going through it to work efficiently, and by pottering about at 12 or 1300 RPM it will simply make a noise with no retardation

Angus25:
The jake brake on the oshkosh het makes me smile put it on full and watch people jump :laughing:

That’s a sight when 3 are loaded, coming down the A417 from the Air Balloon to the M5. :sunglasses:

Link removed. Links to You Tube videos are also covered by Rule 3 on language

Little recording about engine brakes. ( warning lots bad language! ) :grimacing:

■■■■■■ brilliant… :laughing:

Own Account Driver:

Bud143:

Own Account Driver:

dci320:
Be carefull on slippery roads as the exhaust brake can cause loss of traction.

There will be cases of this scenario occurring but I always think the risk is often a bit exaggerated in anything but extreme icy conditions.

Speaking from experience i would say thats wrong.Last week in my premium it locked up and started to drift in the rain but i always have my hand near it when it rains so to knock it off

I run a Premium and haven’t had that, are you sure you weren’t light on the pin? Mine’s not new but I don’t think it would have the guts to lock the drive axle in anything but ice.

The road was very greasy or something had been spilt coming down to a roundabout for a guess as its the only time its done it.
Pat you are clearly more experienced than me at driving in snow! I try to slow down without using the brakes and at times yes i use the exhaust brake but not when coming to a stop.It depends how bad the snow is but its nothing here compared to over the pond!

dpt2011:
I had a driver trainer come out with me for a couple of hours today and he said the company expect a driver to have the exhaust brake turned on at all times. I’ve also been told buy a previous driver trainer from another company to only use it when you need it.
Dave

Seems like a lack of clarity here. If by switched on it is meant that the exhaust brake is deployed during normal braking then yes switched on all the time. If the intention is to have the exhaust brake on and over ride with the accelerator, but brake when it is released, then NO. In these circumstances the Renaults that I mostly drive will not engage the cruise control, and once the accelerator is released you lose momentum when you might only want to coast (in gear ready to power on or brake), for example, to a junction.

Pat Hasler:
It is also very wrong to not use it in snow, if the exhaust brake doesn’t slow you up in snow by using the drive axle you can bet your life the foot brakes won’t and after countless very snowy and harsh winters up here I know I tell the truth about that.

I don’t know that I agree with that comment Pat. If your braking on one axle, maybe 2 if there are twin drive axles, rather that 4,5 or 6 it would seem to increase the hazard rather than reduce. Smooth and steady would be my watchwords in adverse weather.

If you use the thing properly and keep the revs up then some idiot interpreting the satellite tracker data will decide that you have been wasting fuel and deserve a written warning.

i use exhaust brake all the time on a MAN , loaded or unloaded
even tho i often think will someone go into the back of me
because the brake lights dont come on when using it

and i dont bother when driving a DAF as it doesnt have much effect

villa:
i use exhaust brake all the time on a MAN , loaded or unloaded
even tho i often think will someone go into the back of me
because the brake lights dont come on when using it

and i dont bother when driving a DAF as it doesnt have much effect

Thats the good thing about renault and volvo,the brake lights do come on

Wiretwister:
I don’t know that I agree with that comment Pat. If your braking on one axle, maybe 2 if there are twin drive axles, rather that 4,5 or 6 it would seem to increase the hazard rather than reduce. Smooth and steady would be my watchwords in adverse weather.

Each to his own my friend, all I know is when I am driving in snow I leave it on and it will slow the vehicle up when needed and using the foot brake locks every wheel up. On the very odd occasion the drive wheels have locked when the exhaust brake has engaged but as the other wheels are still turning I still have control, when the foot brake is used in those conditions all the wheels lock up and there is no control. I agree fully with your smooth and steady aproach, I am not crazy enough to drive at speed in 6 inches or more of snow. The advantage I have is that my exhaust brake has 3 power levels, when I am empty and in snow I turn the power down so it doesn’t bite so hard, the foot brake is useless in such conditions.

Always use them. I used to have a Hino which had a fantastic retarder. Now I’m on a Daf and to be honest, I’d slow down more if I stuck my arm out the window to catch the air.

hammer:
Always use them. I used to have a Hino which had a fantastic retarder. Now I’m on a Daf and to be honest, I’d slow down more if I stuck my arm out the window to catch the air.

AAARGH…you were my hero running the ever reliable Hino.

Why the sudden change?

Could you confirm for me if you will please…did your Hino have a Japanese interpretation of Jake?.

If I’m loaded I use it apart from when there a stupid little sign saying can’t use it or if do then a $200 fine

taffytrucker:
If I’m loaded I use it apart from when there a stupid little sign saying can’t use it or if do then a $200 fine

Which covers about 50% of PA mate :laughing:

I use it all the time, not for fuel savings but to take the pressure off the breaks from overheating. The less you use the breaks, the more likely they’ll be there when you really need them.

I had a bad day once when I’d been in too much of a rush to keep a booking when fully frighted.
Even the dead man couldn’t stop me from going two meters past a give way line. Had anything been coming down the road, I’d have been a dead 'un.

Juddian:

hammer:

AAARGH…you were my hero running the ever reliable Hino.

Why the sudden change?

Could you confirm for me if you will please…did your Hino have a Japanese interpretation of Jake?.

A sudden change was a sudden stop. The Daf isn’t mine. I gave up as an o/d a couple of months ago.

The Hino had a two-stage retarder and it was fantastic. Really miss it.

Pat Hasler:

taffytrucker:

Which covers about 50% of PA mate :laughing:

Most of Canadian towns I think Pat lol

dpt2011:
‘…wondering about other peoples opinions on using the exhaust brake on your truck…’

Yep, and when conditions suit I use it right up until the red-line before dabbing the foot brake - if those behind need to see a red light appear at my tail then it’s often too bad, although I’ll give them a tiny dab to be charitable.

I’d sooner let her howl & holler before I begin warping the discs :exclamation: