Exeter-Ireland

Hey guys im looking for some advice on driving time ,
Im traveling from Exeter to Ireland tomorrow and im a bit confussed as to the hours i can do,
Im booked on the 0230am boat on friday morning,
Im leaving exeter around 17:00-18:00 tomorrow, depending on how quick im loaded and im thinking the drive to holyhead will be at least six hours?
So as i understand i can do 4.5 hours then have a 45 min break then drive to the boat? then im wondering what i put the tacho on and how long i can drive when i get off the boat before i need another break?
The delivery is only a 45 min drive from Dublin so could i get there then have my daily rest break?
Thanks in advance guys :smiley:

As long as you can do everything in a 15 hour spread then theres no problems either before or after your boat journey. When you get on the boat set it to BREAK (Bed mode) so it records as a break as you’ll be disposing your time on the boat as you wish… Easy as really…

Now that was so much simpler than trying to get my head round any book!!
Thanks fella, much appreciated :smiley:

15 Hours probably aint going to be enough,
Is it not 11 hours daily duty max??, Ill be picking up the truck about 13:30, arrive at collection at 14:00, as a estimate i will say leave there at 17:30,
Now they will be loading it so between 14:00 and 17:30 i will be doing nothing so what should the tacho be on? p.o.a? and would i be able to drive 4.5 hours without a break?
and would i not be out of time at half past midnight??
Its a lot to ask i know and i do appologise its just all new to me, the bacon sandwiches are on me for anybody who helps :laughing: :laughing:

Exeter to Holyhead will take five and a half hours if you take M5/M6.A55.

Can’t remember how long the crossing takes but not enough to get in a daily break but if you leave Exeter at 1800, you can drive until 0900, which will get you to Dublin about the time the customer opens. You will then need to take nine hours off but his means you would be starting at 1800, after factories have closed for the day.

You may need to find a pub :wink:

Would’nt it have saved a lot of diesel and aggro to have used the Swansea to Cork boat.

Or Pembroke to Dunleary?
If you get the truck at 1330 then your spread will run out at 0430 so you probably won’t do it. IIRC, the Holyhead boat is around 5 hours, although they used to slow it down on night crossings sometimes. In truth, with the new digi tachos, it removes any chance you have of starting before 1100 again the next day because you may well be there by midnight, but will not be able to book off until you board the boat, then you would be able to show a movement in your break to drive off the ferry and park up. So if you drive on the ferry at 0130 as one of the first loaded, and if the boat docks and you drive off to park on the street, then you could start for the customer at 1030ish. It all has to work exactly right for that to happen.

Best hope would be to get an earlier start and get there by 10pm if you can, then your movement would be to drive on the ferry and you would start clean when you drive off.

If it is a paper chart then things would be simpler by far, if a little less legal. :wink:

Am I correct to say you are allowed two movements during a daily rest break providing they do not exceed one hour total and you still take a total rest break that adds up to 11 hours?

If so, and assuming you can get to Holyhead well before the sailing: park up and stick it on rest, use one movement to get on the boat, stick it back on rest for the 5 hour crossing, another movement to get off, park up stick it back on rest and finish off your 11. You’ve then got a complete daily rest in and you can make your delivery, pick up your return load and possibly even get another daily rest in while waiting for the return ferry (using the 2 allowed movements if necessary), giving you a full driving shift at the other side to deliver your return load and get home (or to your next pickup).

Or am I missing something obvious? (apart from being pretty knackered at the end of the trip)

Edited for accuracy

Looks like i owe a few bacon sandwiches! :smiley:
Thanks for the replys guys, Im trying my best to make sense of it all but they dont make it easy!!
Ill have a work with the boss in a bit and see if he is as switched on as you guys! :smiley:
Thanks again

Problem solved, the lorry will now be loaded ready for me to leave Exeter around 17-18:00 hours so i have time to get to the delivery then have my daily rest break, Jobs a good-un, thanks again for the help :smiley:

scottishcruiser:
When you get on the boat set it to BREAK (Bed mode) so it records as a break as you’ll be disposing your time on the boat as you wish… Easy as really…

Not that it really matters in this case but -
REST = disposing of your time as you wish
BREAK = not working

If you sre able to take at least 3 consecutive (unbroken) hours of BREAK on the ferry and you are able to dispose of that time as you see fit then those 3 hours can be classed as REST and used towards a SPLIT daily rest of 3 + 9 hours which then counts as a full daily rest - one option should you choose to do so :bulb:

bobthedog:
Or Pembroke to Dunleary?

If it is a paper chart then things would be simpler by far, if a little less legal. :wink:

That could’nt have been put in a better place than on a UK-Ireland thread. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

bobthedog:
Or Pembroke to Dunleary?

That could’nt have been put in a better place than on a UK-Ireland thread. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The plastic one i have is too bloody tough to rip up!!
not that i would do anything illegal as im working for a company so it would not bennefit me one bit!
Its all sorted now after the initial worry!! like i say they dont make it very easy to understand so thank the lord (and the moderators) for trucknet and thanks to you guys for the help which im sure i will need more of at some stage :laughing: :wink: :smiley:

Your getting around aint you mate,

Big Brummie Macca:
Your getting around aint you mate,

Im sure clocking up the miles!!
Made it back safe, all on time and all legal :smiley:
The only bad thing is im bloody knackered!! its hard to get any sleep when ya sharing a cabin with a big hairy snoreing Irish fella :angry:
I also had to have my daily rest period in the middle of nowhere and it was a bloody hot day yesterday, too hot to sleep in the lorry thats for sure!
Im off to sleep now for a couple of days!!