Ex retired

Hi I’ve been retired a year and it’s driving me barmy so thinking of applying to reinstate my HGV/PSV and hopefully get a mon/fri regular hours job if there is such a thing, anybody else done it or am I mad? I’m in Southampton area.

dilbert:
Hi I’ve been retired a year and it’s driving me barmy so thinking of applying to reinstate my HGV/PSV and hopefully get a mon/fri regular hours job if there is such a thing, anybody else done it or am I mad? I’m in Southampton area.

We have a few who are past retirement age.But are still at it.Only doing 3 day weeks though.Personally i’d love to retire a give it up.But that’s a few years off for me.So i might well feel like you do someday.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No, you´re not mad, mate. It´s exactly what I´m doing now :smiley: Well, ok, we may be just a bit.

I´ll let you do the Googling/research, it´s part of the fun.

Find out if the type of jobs you are looking for are out there.
Organise a medical, send off medical form AND application for a re-instatement of your licence.
Research DCPC and Digital Tachograph card. You´ll need them.

I´ve left it deliberately vague because I got alot of enjoyment from finding out about stuff on me own. Mebbe you will too.

But don´t be backward in coming forward with any questions you have and ask here on TNUK.
I´m not a real wagon driver, just a Class 2 but I´m 100% positive that anything you need to know can be found/asked on here.

Good luck brother, the quest begins :slight_smile:

Just because yours dont bend that dont make you any less of a wagon driver …

raymundo:

I know my place :smiley:

raymundo:

They ALL bend given the correct amount of input. :wink:

Thanks for all the replies, I done about 40 years on all sorts of jobs general haulage, waste disposal,containers etc and bus and coach work oh and agency .my digi card has run out and I got about a year on the DCPC so as I’ll be on yearly medical for my licence all I’ll need is a day’s course a year to keep it up I think

dilbert:
Thanks for all the replies, I done about 40 years on all sorts of jobs general haulage, waste disposal,containers etc and bus and coach work oh and agency .my digi card has run out and I got about a year on the DCPC so as I’ll be on yearly medical for my licence all I’ll need is a day’s course a year to keep it up I think

If the DCPC is valid for a year, then that’s it, it’s valid. You’ll need the full 5 days to continue driving with it when it expires.
Suggest get a year’s medical and take it from there.
Good luck.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

dilbert:
my digi card has run out and I got about a year on the DCPC so as I’ll be on yearly medical for my licence all I’ll need is a day’s course a year to keep it up I think

As has been said you will need to do the 35 hours periodic training before your current DQC expires if you want to continue driving after that time.

Good luck :wink:

Sent from my mobile.

First thing that springs to mind is that if you have no hourly credits on your CPC then you will need to do 35 hours before your current one expires. Thats´s IF you want to carry on working past your current CPC validity date.

Book a medical.
General consensus is stay away from your GP. They tend to be 2-3 times more expensive. If money is no problem and you want the convenience? Go right ahead. But there are loads of options for medicals at mebbe 50-60 quid or even less. There´s even a bunch that will come to your house.

Get the digicard sorted.
AFAIK, and I repeat AFAIK, you cannot renew it online. I´m just applying for my first card so I have to get a form and send it off.
I THINK it´s the same for renewal.
Now, where I am in London I´ve been, this afternoon, to 4 separate post offices. One of em was a main P.O. None had the form I needed. So I´ve ordered a pack of em from Swansea. The place where I´m doing my CPC can have the left overs.
(Last day tomorrow YAY)

Exciting, innit! :smiley:

Edit: Soz Franglais and Tacho, was drinking while posting, didn´t see yours hic

Retired 7 years ago,and dont miss it one bit,never renewed my licence. Not everybodies life style or financial circumstances are the same I am lucky enough to be free of debt and able to do things as and when I want without being committed to somebody for 3-4 days a week Holidays ( change of scenery really)3-4 times a year mainly off peak times or late deals, fishing gardening watching rugger,lying in bed instead of getting up at silly oclock,the only one to keep in good books with is the Wife
For me your MAD :wink: :wink:

lolipop:
Retired 7 years ago,and dont miss it one bit,never renewed my licence. Not everybodies life style or financial circumstances are the same I am lucky enough to be free of debt and able to do things as and when I want without being committed to somebody for 3-4 days a week Holidays ( change of scenery really)3-4 times a year mainly off peak times or late deals, fishing gardening watching rugger,lying in bed instead of getting up at silly oclock,the only one to keep in good books with is the Wife

Same with me, retired in February, not missing it but glad I’m not doing it in this current heatwave.
Perhaps you need to get out an about, I walk 2 or 3 miles most days and sometimes mor3 on others, get your busses and go traveling for free.

gezt:

lolipop:

Same with me, retired in February, not missing it but glad I’m not doing it in this current heatwave.
Perhaps you need to get out an about, I walk 2 or 3 miles most days and sometimes mor3 on others, get your busses and go traveling for free.

Me too, February 2nd was my last day and I won’t be going back for sure, loving the time to do whatever I want when I want, good luck :smiley: :smiley:

gezt:

lolipop:

Forgot about the free travel with the bus pass

As with lolipop,dave and gezt I retired on DCPC day 4 years ago and don’t miss a thing.I have a relaxed life and a place in Spain to spend as much time as I like in.In the UK I like cask bitter and rugby league.The traffic is horrendous,average 20mph if you are lucky .I can drive from a ferry port to Alicante and tell you within 30 mins my arrival time but I couldn’t say how long to get to Leeds 20 miles away.I don’t mind those 5 day "old git"bus trips either,not that I’m an old git.Get up in the morning when I want,ditto go to bed.I don’t like getting older because the aches and pains don’t go away but I don’t have to haul a lorry around and be sneered at by most of the population.

Ahh the DCPC… I thought I could just do one day a year to keep it valid so I’ll have to do a weeks course to carry on past the expiry date. More hassle and expense on top of paying for the medical. Might have a rethink and just blunder about in my old campervan.thanks for all the replies folks

dilbert:
Ahh the DCPC… I thought I could just do one day a year to keep it valid so I’ll have to do a weeks course to carry on past the expiry date. More hassle and expense on top of paying for the medical. Might have a rethink and just blunder about in my old campervan.thanks for all the replies folks

You´ve still got a year on your current DCPC.
One day training every 73 days gives you another 5 years DCPC :slight_smile:
Don´t give up now, kittens will die!

I can’t imagine ever voluntarily giving up my licence, even after retiring the thought of never driving a truck again would be too upsetting! Good luck in your quest, hope it works out. Don’t write off agencies for work, you at least get to retain some freedom compared to a full time job

After 50 years of turning that wheel it’s time to let go, us older guys did the hard work ( NOT looking for sympathy etc) we went through hell sometimes but that was the job,we did all the stuff you young drivers couldn’t imagine. Again not looking for sympathy that’s the way it was, we was a closer community no internet just a wish to meet each other and chat after a hard day. Good luck to you guys today bit seriously I don’t envy your future.

gezt:
After 50 years of turning that wheel it’s time to let go, us older guys did the hard work ( NOT looking for sympathy etc) we went through hell sometimes but that was the job,we did all the stuff you young drivers couldn’t imagine. Again not looking for sympathy that’s the way it was, we was a closer community no internet just a wish to meet each other and chat after a hard day. Good luck to you guys today bit seriously I don’t envy your future.

Behave gezt, you´re making me cry. Nostalgia ain´t what it used to be :slight_smile: