Ex pat returning

Returning to UK after 7 years,and back to driving preferably European. I need to do all my licences with DVLC (Dread the thought) My entitlement is Class one,but this cpc thing is new. As I passed my c+e in the 80s I am inside the qualification for the “Aquired rights”…I have been told this is no longer the case., as Aquired rights" is no longer available. Can anyone confirm this.!!! Also, I have no fixed abode in the U.K will have Mothers address,do I need to just exchange addresses from my previous address in the U.K WHICH IS STILL ON MY LICENCE. Have checked on the devils website and it really doesn’t answer my questions. Returning September and need to get a job asap.

You now need a cpc as the grandfather rights ended in 2014. I take it your digicard has expired too. Change the adress on your licence, you need a photocard if you haven’t already got one. Apply for a new digi, and you’re good to go once you have completed your cpc

Thanks for the quick reply. Have my digi card, expired 2012, lost my plastic licence whilst living here in LaLa Land,so that will need replacing, but still have my torn and tattered paper licence. I know will have to take a new medical as well, as soon as I get back,and thanks for the info on the CPC, Thats what I really needed to know first and foremost (getting expensive already). If I get all the correct forms and send all together is this the correct thing to do,kind of lost in the maze of it all… :slight_smile:

DCPC you will have to attend 35 hours (5 x 7 hours) of “training”, (no test)

So, I have to sit in a classroom for one week and listen to someone rant on about all the stuff I learnt in my previous 30 years of driving U.K and Europe…oh great joy, and obviously pay thru the nose for it, you cannot beat the UK Government for scams in which to earn extra revenue,so I take it by the time Ive gone thru all this crap its going to be about a month before I can accept a job offer, and start earning some money again, that is providing DVLC play ball. They do quote that they need 3 years of UK address too,what the hell for beats me… But anyways, I haven’t got that, been away 7 years :unamused:

But your mothers address is the one your going to use on your new licence, so thats the one you used to come and go to, and you didnt get around to changing your new address on your old licence :wink: :wink:
the DCPC ■■■■■■■■ doesnt have to be done all at once, and i`m sure you can sit in a class for a day or so to get the ball rolling, so just make a few enquiries with your local trainer.
If you need a medical, which is basically form filling, a urine test, and a blood pressure test along with your eye test, and can all be done at the same time so long as your are registered with a local gp.
The hold up will be with DVLA, and they will send a digi along with your new licence anyway…just have a word on tuesday when they re open…good luck…

My old address was not my mothers when I left the uk, but thats where I will want all my mail sending once home,around the middle of September,so, on my return do I just have to attend a cpc course for a whole week, and then wait for the thing to come through the post, or can I take the course over a period of time,but still drive class one,I dont think I can do the latter,from what I have heard,I will have to take the course and fulfill the hours quota (35) before being granted this CPC so I can drive.As clear as mud !! Thanks for the advice you gave,just getting a little nervous with DVLC,

1 My Plastic drivers licence card lost here in Asia, I know my HGV entitlement would of expired now due to age,so new medical required for that. No Problems there.
2 Digi card expired. Needs renewing.
3 Still have paper licence. (Just a bit battered and worn out ).

I will not be on any electoral roll,and will be flitting around a bit when I get back,job offers already,but only when I get this sorted out and have everything in hand, so to speak.

Any help truly appreciated, and thanks for the replies already… :confused:

You will need to have your cpc card before you drive commercially

OVLOV JAY:
You now need a cpc as the grandfather rights ended in 2014.

Not entirely ture. You can sit parts 2 & 4 if you have grandfather rights. Although they can be a failed.
I was going to go down this route as I have regained my licence after some time and needed cpc. Part 2 is a theory test and 4 is a drive out with an someone .
Since I was paying for the lot myself and it could have been a waste if i failed I went for the 5 days. £350.
I Emailed DVLA about the grandfather rights and it was confirmed that yes I have it(passed Class 1 in 1994) and yes you can just sit parts 2 & 4.
Do some more digging if you Don’t want the 5 days classroom training.

rocketsquadron:

OVLOV JAY:
You now need a cpc as the grandfather rights ended in 2014.

Not entirely ture. You can sit parts 2 & 4 if you have grandfather rights. Although they can be a failed.
I was going to go down this route as I have regained my licence after some time and needed cpc. Part 2 is a theory test and 4 is a drive out with an someone .
Since I was paying for the lot myself and it could have been a waste if i failed I went for the 5 days. £350.
I Emailed DVLA about the grandfather rights and it was confirmed that yes I have it(passed Class 1 in 1994) and yes you can just sit parts 2 & 4.
Do some more digging if you Don’t want the 5 days classroom training.

I have just got mine back after 15 years just have to send medical, as to dpcp I just sat the 5 modules in the class room there was no tests at the end, just a pass
hope this helps

If you previously had LGV CE or HGV class 1 on a UK licence then all you need to do to get hose back is to pass the D4 medical

A problem with that can occur if you passed those before 1983 (I think) as the DVLA records before that time did not go onto a computer database so they may not have your previous records in which case they will insist that you need to pass the category tests again like being a newbie
If that is the case then as a newbie you will have to do initial dcpc mods 2 & 4 and not the 35 hours to cover you for the first 5 years of commercial LGV driving

ROG:
If you previously had LGV CE or HGV class 1 on a UK licence then all you need to do to get hose back is to pass the D4 medical

A problem with that can occur if you passed those before 1983 (I think) as the DVLA records before that time did not go onto a computer database so they may not have your previous records in which case they will insist that you need to pass the category tests again like being a newbie
If that is the case then as a newbie you will have to do initial dcpc mods 2 & 4 and not the 35 hours to cover you for the first 5 years of commercial LGV driving

I passed my class 1 in 1976 spoke with dvla, they said their records don’t go that far back on the system, but its not a problem

dantheman57:
So, I have to sit in a classroom for one week and listen to someone rant on about all the stuff I learnt in my previous 30 years of driving U.K and Europe…oh great joy, and obviously pay thru the nose for it, you cannot beat the UK Government for scams in which to earn extra revenue

Actually it is a requirement forced upon us by the EU, every country has to have it or an equivalent and we’ve been one of the last countries in the EU in implementing it so its got nothing to do with the government coming up with a scam but in fact the UK government being forced to do it. Even France had introduced a DCPC equivalent before we did and the way its done here based just on turning up with no test is basically the minimum the government could allow us to do whilst still being in compliance with the EU directive.

And unless you’re some kind of driving god there’s going to be at least something you’ll learn from the course. It was quite funny listening to some of the comments. For example I did a module on defensive driving and driving in severe weather. When it came to snow and ice all the experts were bleating on about how automatic gearboxes were crap and thats why they had problems and they continued to do that right up until the point the instructor who drove snow ploughs and gritters for the council pointed out that his Mercedes he used was automatic and he never got stuck and followed it up with a Youtube video of a bus with an auto box going up some ice covered S bends up a hill at Whitby without getting stuck unlike all the cars on the hill. That shut them all up.

I won’t even comment about how much stupid was demonstrated by the attendees in the EU Drivers Hours module I did.

How come your an “expat” and every bugger else is an “immigrant”
You mean things have gone a little sour so you decided to come back “home” after not paying tax for a few years and claim off the state.

Conor:

dantheman57:
So, I have to sit in a classroom for one week and listen to someone rant on about all the stuff I learnt in my previous 30 years of driving U.K and Europe…oh great joy, and obviously pay thru the nose for it, you cannot beat the UK Government for scams in which to earn extra revenue

Actually it is a requirement forced upon us by the EU, every country has to have it or an equivalent and we’ve been one of the last countries in the EU in implementing it so its got nothing to do with the government coming up with a scam but in fact the UK government being forced to do it. Even France had introduced a DCPC equivalent before we did and the way its done here based just on turning up with no test is basically the minimum the government could allow us to do whilst still being in compliance with the EU directive.

And unless you’re some kind of driving god there’s going to be at least something you’ll learn from the course. It was quite funny listening to some of the comments. For example I did a module on defensive driving and driving in severe weather. When it came to snow and ice all the experts were bleating on about how automatic gearboxes were crap and thats why they had problems and they continued to do that right up until the point the instructor who drove snow ploughs and gritters for the council pointed out that his Mercedes he used was automatic and he never got stuck and followed it up with a Youtube video of a bus with an auto box going up some ice covered S bends up a hill at Whitby without getting stuck unlike all the cars on the hill. That shut them all up.

I won’t even comment about how much stupid was demonstrated by the attendees in the EU Drivers Hours module I did.

And theirs me dumb as a bunch of frogs thinking that the UK had a say in the EU law. See I thought we had MEPs that fight our corner,in fact I thought we had more MEPs than most other european states.

But its a lot easier to blame the germans ,french,dutch or spanish because the british government really gives a ■■■■ about some low life truck driver dont they.
Thats why you got no where to park every night suckers.

Bking:
You mean things have gone a little sour so you decided to come back “home” after not paying tax for a few years and claim off the state.

my my my, why so volatile BKing, no, things did not go a little sour, I just done what I wanted to do with a part of my life,and that was to travel all over Asia and the Australias, doing something different,and ,having done something with my life,I have absolutely no regrets,not that I owe you an explanation. And no, I haven"t claimed one penny from the state, I actually signed up with an agency, and have been handballing 45 foot containers, coming into a local factory, which has nigh on killed me,but earned me the money I needed to support myself and get all I needed doing done. Having done all the doing, I have been offered many jobs in the process,and at this moment am picking and choosing which one suits what I want to do,and which will support me in my retirement to sunny climes in Europe. I choose to live my life, by what I put into it, and in over 30 years in Transport have never signed on,to claim one penny from my government,although quite entitled to do so. Thank you to the others who gave their time to answer helpfully,it was appreciated. I suggest Mr Bking, you do something with your life,and refrain from being so judgemental on people you have never met,or is your life just living full of regrets about what you haven’t achieved… :unamused:

Bking:

If you had 2 brain cells to bang together you would realise the difference twixt ex pat returning and immigrant is where they are born .

This is big problem with present levels of immigration as first thing immigrants do is drop a baby on british soil .This makes it very hard to ever get shot of them

dantheman57:

Bking:

my my my, why so volatile BKing, no, things did not go a little sour, I just done what I wanted to do with a part of my life,and that was to travel all over Asia and the Australias, doing something different,and ,having done something with my life,I have absolutely no regrets,not that I owe you an explanation. And no, I haven"t claimed one penny from the state, I actually signed up with an agency, and have been handballing 45 foot containers, coming into a local factory, which has nigh on killed me,but earned me the money I needed to support myself and get all I needed doing done. Having done all the doing, I have been offered many jobs in the process,and at this moment am picking and choosing which one suits what I want to do,and which will support me in my retirement to sunny climes in Europe. I choose to live my life, by what I put into it, and in over 30 years in Transport have never signed on,to claim one penny from my government,although quite entitled to do so. Thank you to the others who gave their time to answer helpfully,it was appreciated. I suggest Mr Bking, you do something with your life,and refrain from being so judgemental on people you have never met,or is your life just living full of regrets about what you haven’t achieved… :unamused:

I would ignore these comments as I have found there are quite a few idiots on this forum lacking in the brain department who are happy to have a go at anybody because they have nothing better to do.
After doing the CPC you will feel like you have wasted five days of your life .
Good luck getting sorted out with a job.

Conor:

dantheman57:

[/quoteas]
The above comments are from Connor!
I can assure you auto boxes are worse than manual gearboxes in snow and I would go as far as saying they can be dangerous in the wrong hands.
I have done lots of driving in the snow and have delivered trucks to Econ who make snow ploughs, not one was an automatic.
You so called expert instructor must of forgot to mention his snow plough would have a diff lock , snow tyres and a heavy body full of grit to aide traction and if it was a six wheeler double drive axles.
As for the bus video I have seen this as well , you instructor cant be very bright as he has not realised the bus is rear engined so a lot of the weight is on the drive wheels aiding traction.The cars that could not get up are modern cars with large low profile tyres which are crap in snow.
A few years ago in one severe winter my 4x4 broke down and I had to use my 1968 Karmann Ghia to travel to work in snow.I had to go through a steep forest road covered in deep snow and was forced to stop in a dip because of all the cars stranded and people stood in the middle of the road.
Once the people moved off the road I pulled away from the bottom of the dip and weaved through all the stranded cars up the hill . I did this because the engine is in the back ( a skilled driver behind the wheel helps as well) aiding traction just like the bus in the video.
If autos are that good in snow try watching "Ice Road Truckers"and seed how many are autos…non are.
I suggest you have a word with you instructor as he is talking ■■■■■■
Most of these people are not even proper truckers.
NAB

dantheman57:

Bking:

Not a problem ■■■■ do as you please .Just wondered why every bugger else is an immigrant but you ,no doubt because your a good old stiff upper lipped “brit” was as usual above “jhonny foreigner” and was ,of course, an “ex pat”? Did the “antipodeans” realise they had an ex pat in their midst or where you just another bloody english immigrant?