Ever met anyone famous while trucking?

I was just wondering had many of ye rubbed shoulders with the"Rich & Famous" and if so,who were they ?

A few years ago we were bringing computers out to Holland and shipped out on a Sunday morning,only a handful of us in the drivers restaurant.Myself and a Nippon Express driver at a table,we were joined by an unshaven man with a dark green wax jacket and a cap.Conversation was struck up and he informed us we he was heading for Oxford with horses,nothing unusual in that I thought,as horseboxes are regular on the Rosslare-Fishguard route.He was very well spoken,and very interested in were we heading for and how long we would be gone for.
Just seemed like any ordinary conversation in a drivers room,but when he got up from the table to go fetch himself a glass of juice,the Nippon Express driver informed me in his strong Cork accent that our colleague was a famous actor,but that he couldnt recall his name,for love nor money.
The 3 of us wandered around the boat,we all having a smoke,with our famous stranger choosing to smoke ‘rollies’ like an impoverished student :laughing:
I have to admit,other passengers on the ferry were looking but neither us or anybody else pestered him or looked for photographs,etc.After this I headed for the cabin for a couple of hours sleep.
When I went down to the lower decks to get ready to drive off I met the actor again.I was surprised to see that he wasnt driving a multi million pound horsebox but he was driving a Landrover 110 with a horsebox trailer,both looked to have seen better days.
He jumped up in to my Topline cab and commented on how much he admired Truck drivers and the job they do,and I joked if he might not hold me up much when he gets off the boat as he was in front of me :stuck_out_tongue:
We bid farewell and sure enough he pulled his Landrover & horsebox into the first layby coming out of Fishguard and gave a big ‘Thumbs Up’ out the window.
I thought to myself,if I had his money,I would of paid someone to bring those horses over.But I suppose even Jeremy Irons likes to live a normal life.

15 years ago i met Ken Dodd on Burtonwood services, the man is funny without trying… :laughing:

when on removals i moved mark mcmanus(taggert) up to settle. nice bloke down to earth.
working for a scenery company i met bob todd and a few others at tv studio’s ,not much to do with em cos they kept poopin off to “green room”

Ive delivered to Ronnie Corbetts house he does a nice cup of coffee and toast

and a few weeks back took a load of reclaimed bricks to Stella Mccartneys place in the cotswolds

About six years ago was at North Weald airfield & bumped into Tom Cruise, he was there with Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) who owned a couple of jets including the yellow gnat, based at the airfield. Yes he is short, but he posed for a photo with my wife!

About 1984 I was pulling for Frigoscandia out of Stratford and David Bowie was filming part of a video for his new song in the chiller…met him as he came out of his Winnebago style caravan…have to say he was rather aloof :slight_smile:

Quite a lot of people, its my job to transport bands etc around Europe. I will be spending the next 5 months on tour with The Mighty Boosh, probably the least famous people ive driven.

A few years ago i had a load of fabric for Bill Beaumonts textile factory in Chorley. I did the drop and was reversing back towards the gate (there was no room to turn) when this big bloke in a suit walked round the corner and started watching me back. Turned out it was the man himself. When i’d finished the reverse he ambled up to the cab, had a look at the address on the door and asked how were things in Llantrisant? We had a short conversation about rugby and i shook his hand and went on my way. Real nice bloke.

Last weekI took studio equipment to Stings house in Tuscany, wasnt expecting him to hold open the driveway gates for me…!! :smiley:

I saw that girl called Alice something-or-other with a face like a potato who used to present consumer programmes in an MSA.

i once went round to mike oldfield,s house to empty his cesspit.did not even get a cup of tea off him.

Trucking…i bumped into Jonny Vegas in Watford Gap services, yes i did shout ‘Monkey’ in the funny voice, sad i know!
I also drove a black cab and picked up Faith Brown, Mr.T, the gay scottish news presenter off GMTV, half of Brookside and Hollyoaks cast. And loads of footballers, i don;t follow football at all and almost all of them thought i was being funny by not getting into conversation or acknowledgeing them :smiley:
I knever knew them from Adam !

I once saw “Dr Legg” from eastenders on a p&o ferry :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

had dinner with stirling moss and jack brabham

stood and peed next to richard wilson?(victor meldrew) …think it was stanstead services when i was on the taxis!didnt think it was quite the right place to quote his catchphrase :smiley: :blush:

Took some stuff to princess Anne’s farm out west years ago, some sort of horse show she was putting on, nice lady and had time for a few laughs with the lads

Had brekkie on the Calias ferry with Delboy David Jason, smashing fella

Delivered to Anneka Rice’s house in London when her arse was as famous as her, she was a bit up herself at the time

Delivered to Harry Redknapps house in Hornchurch when he was at West Ham and Tony Cottee’s place in Upminster when he was also at West Ham,
both made coffee, nice both of them

But the best was being asked by princess Dianna how long i was going to be when delivering gas oil to clarence house, i had blocked her Audi in, she was gorgeous

Mrs Thatcher when delivering to Downing Street, mid 80`s.

She pulled up in the armoured jag, got out and came straight over for a chat…seemed a nice lady.

Prince Charles in the early 90`s.

passed sir Jimmy Savile jogging round Leeds and seen Jackie Charlton while waiting at a garden centre in Ponteland

I was tipping in Park Royal once. There was a small film studio next door. Stefan Denis aka Paul Robinson from ‘Neighbours’ came out to have a ■■■. He chatted to me about being a female driver. Before he went back in took a photo of me infront of my truck on his phone. He sent it to his mates back in Oz.
Very nice chap. Down to earth.

bullitt:
Mrs Thatcher …seemed a nice lady

i used to like you Bullitt - go wash your mouth out with carbolic! :wink: :laughing:

we do a fair bit of artwork moveing (mainly big sculptures) and i’ve met damien hirst and a few other “famous” artists - not exactly proper slebs I know, but I don’t think I’d want to meet many of them really :stuck_out_tongue: