Ever met anyone famous while trucking?

I delivered a carpet to Dennis Watermans house, never had any help to get it off and it wsnt a small bit either, cost him somewhere in the region of £10,000. Got a cup of coffee and a packet of ■■■■ out of him though at the house, and when I left he shook my hand and when I opened it (after getting back in the cab) it was a £50 he gave me.

Nice bloke.

Met Falklands veteran Simon Weston whilst delivering spuds somewhere in Wales.
“Alright mate” he says " is Keith in?"
“dunno, want some cheap Estimas?” says I
Simon Weston walks off…

I’ve not really met any famous dudes whilst trucking, although I was next to Paul Young once in the late '80’s in a jam on the M25 (“wherever I lay my hat, that’s my home”…MY ARSE! He was in a PORSCHE!).

Otherwise, I’ve had a snowball fight with Vinnie Jones and his minders (yes he has minders!) outside my local pub. He used to live just round the corner when he played for LUFC).

When I was a cop I met Roland Rivron outside a nightclub in Leeds (very short and full of himself) and the bloke who played the Superintendent on “The Bill” outside a different nightclub in Leeds (He’s also a right shortarse! :laughing: ).

Jimmy Saville (When I was a community bobby, he lived on my beat).

I now live next door to a Championship footballer (but I’m not saying who!) A really nice lad.

I take it you live nr Moortown then Shrek, I used to live up that way near Shadwell village, had a paper round up there and later as a postie.

Even though I was on the coaches at the time I have met

Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson is shorter than he seems… :laughing:

The Corrs, hubba hubba

I was the driver for the MK Kings Ice Hockey team, so I know all the lads by first name.

I delivered concrete to Sam Ermolenko. You’re all wondering who that is & I didn’t now who he was either at the time but found out later :blush:

Very nice guy & it was the 22nd of December… he gave me £30 as a “xmas gift for a job well done”

Dunno if he counts as famous?

MADBAZ:
I take it you live nr Moortown then Shrek, I used to live up that way near Shadwell village, had a paper round up there and later as a postie.

Yes mate, I grew up in High Ash Drive and latterly lived on Shadwell Lane…I bet we actually know each other! :laughing: (The pub is called “The Dexter”…my local for years and years)

We live in Wakey now though.

Melchett:
I delivered concrete to Sam Ermolenko. You’re all wondering who that is & I didn’t now who he was either at the time but found out later :blush:

Very nice guy & it was the 22nd of December… he gave me £30 as a “xmas gift for a job well done”

Dunno if he counts as famous?

Just Googled him mate…and Google haven’t heard of him either :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

I lived on Shadwell lane ('85-'89) but at the big place with the cricket field :wink: , later on shared a place in the Darkwoods. I never ventured into the Dexter though, too busy cycling, Dunnies cafe in Otley was my local. I went to Lawnswood High, bit of a trek though.

amazon.co.uk/Breaking-Limits … 0752425854

Hey Blissy

I probably know you then,i started pulling for Frigo’s out of E15 then, i went to the yard to fill the fridge up with diesel when Bowie was filming that.
That was a mistake eh, couldn’t move in there, for all the film crew lorries and campervans etc.
Had the mrs with me, when i looked round she’d gone, where the zb she gone
i thought, she’d gone out the yard through security ( he didn’t stop her ) and was by the cold store trying to see what was going on :unamused: :unamused: :smiley: :smiley:

I should have done a runner while i had the chance. :smiley:

Bob.

About 7 years ago now, i was working at RAF Fairford, i was sent with a Bus to a Hotel at Stow on the wold, the one at the bottom of the hill by the lights. Was told to ask for the Party for Fairford

Was told at reception that they were not ready yet, some are still in bed and the rest were having breakfast and would i like some tea and toast while i wait.

Sits down at a table next to some elderly Gents and i could not help listening to their conversation, turns out they were the surviving members of 617Sqd the Dambusters, I could have sat there all day and listend to the stories they were talking about, the rear gunner telling the rest that they went round Nine times before they dropped the bomb.
I spent most of the day with them, and it was a pleasure to do it.

Also met,
Cats eyes Cunningham
Douglas Barder
Neil Armstrong
Chuck Yeager

Real Celebs and Heros all of them.

I was delivering a load of bushes for want of a better word in Kensington one day for a bloke called JC Decaux. Might have seen his name on some billboards?? Anyways he was having his garden re landscaped but to do this the crane etc was having to run through two other gardens and the driveway they were using to access those belonged to Brian May and Anita Dobson who were floating about all day. Was quite surreal, both pleasant and polite.

while trucking i was being a fridge at a music festival and had lunch with billy Bragg, but didn’t know it at the time, i didn’t have a clue who he was :blush: :blush:

whilst on various ships have met the following

Jim Davidson, a really nice bloke and very very funny
Bobby Davro yet again very nice bloke and hilarious
prince Charles - came on board while doing a day long war exercise and told him to “get the ■■■■ out the way i need that pump” then realised who he was and apologised, he just laughed and said its OK you might just save my life one day!
simon weston, found quite arrogant.
Geoff Hoon, what a ■■■■
Chris Eubank, a really nce bloke that bought us all a drink (about 100 of us at a nightclub the whole ships company used to use)

but the really celebs i have met is the people we have delivered to various parts of the world in the dead of night in complete darkness and then recovered a few nights later, all characters and always laughing!

@ Melchett did you mean the person mentioned underneath

try these linksONE

AND also this ONE

once stopped for a ■■■■ at fleet services a few years back to find myself stood beside john hurt. didnt look to see if he was the elephant man in real life :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jj72:

bullitt:
Mrs Thatcher …seemed a nice lady

i used to like you Bullitt - go wash your mouth out with carbolic! :wink: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I thought that would get a bite!! :laughing: :wink:

Yes…Quite a few years ago,when me and my father ran our own trucks,delivering roof tiles, we delivered 2 loads to Ron Haslams house in Derbyshire ! He was re roofing his farmhouse…very pleasent fella to talk to !
You know who Ron Haslam is ■■

When I was in the Army I met the late Lord Louis Mountbatten on several occasions, I also had the pleasure of driving him once or twice. He might have been royalty, but what a brilliant bloke - he used to know everyones name in the regiment.

I pulled up outside that Scottish guy from Dragons Den and stopped ion his house one night.