europe or uk ?

Should i go to the docs about my problem, which is ive always wanted to do euro work but never have. Ive got a good class 1 job with a well known national logistics company 5 on 3 off, money and kit good, no nights out( well about 1 or 2 a year maybe) but i cannot get rid of this desire for euro work. No experience with trucks in euro but have travelled thru many countries by car as i am a non flyer so would this help a little or not ? I am from the Bristol area and my yard is 8 minutes from home also married with kids, so what should i do ? Pls dont be too hard on me !

you def need the doctors, happily married with kids, 3 days off after 5 working, no nights out and happy with your job?
why would anyone want to be away from home more?
i do it as a job but would love to be home just doesn’t pay as good.
get a driving holiday around europe and make do with that :laughing: :laughing:

Been on many driving holidays in europe thats why i fancy it so much, but you are right im thinking.

Why would you want to give up a decent job decent money home every night a few min away from home :question: especially at this time
I would stay where you are as the grass not always greener on the other side for now at least can place on back burner until things sort them selves out

I massively prefer driving on the mainland compared to the UK, the roads and facilities are far better for starters, but it’s not the best time to be looking for work, it seems that hardly any of the trucks at Dover are British any more…

Yeah probably couldnt get a job anyway so will have to remain a distant dream me thinks.

bald bloke:
Yeah probably couldnt get a job anyway so will have to remain a distant dream me thinks.

Nope just place on back burner for now but dont give up yet

bald bloke:

Don’t give up on it, Van den bosch will be looking for drivers this year and are now flying drivers out from Bristol, the jobs not for everybody but worth looking into.

No experience nesaccary

Thanks for that will keep that in mind, it always amazes me what you can hear on this site with regards to whose looking to take drivers on, wouldnt really fancy flying to holland though cos i hate flying but its a thought.

bald bloke:
Thanks for that will keep that in mind, it always amazes me what you can hear on this site with regards to whose looking to take drivers on, wouldnt really fancy flying to holland though cos i hate flying but its a thought.

the flight is 1hr 20 minutes, been on longer bus rides :smiley:
Seriously though, if you want to try euro work and have no experience it’s not a bad start, I wish I had the this opportunity years ago

Thanks Okey will give it serious thoughts for a few days, i just hope the wife dont find out yet !!

Im not trying to be funny but you must see the doctor as WBIS said 5 on 3 off and home most nights and you wanna do euro work. :open_mouth:

You wont get 3 days off doing it trust me,more like doing a weeks work then having 24hrs off then going for it again,and getting paid probably the same as your getting now being sat at home with a wife who remembers what you look like and not spending 2 weeks sleeping in a tin box.

I agree its easier over the water and the facilities are in some parts second to none,but i would rather be home in my own bed,and trust me once the novelty wears off you will too.

bald bloke:
Thanks Okey will give it serious thoughts for a few days, i just hope the wife dont find out yet !!

stay where you are mate i had a job like yours but wanted to do uk euro work away, 5 years later and 2 more kids and i would go back 2 mrow to my old job i hate being away even with me now on 4 on 4 off with only 3 nights out the urge soon goes once your away all the time and want to get home if there is a problem at home it doesnt suite everyone but i do understand how you want to do it :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My view is ignore what people tell you and go with your gut. If I’d listened to other drivers I’d have never taken up Virginia on their job offer and therefore missed out on my dream job. Only you know what’s right for you.

switchlogic:
My view is ignore what people tell you and go with your gut. If I’d listened to other drivers I’d have never taken up Virginia on their job offer and therefore missed out on my dream job. Only you know what’s right for you.

Yes but atm he has a job which he does like & home every night not to far from home so low running cost fro fuel on car

As yet he dosent have a job lined up so I will stand by what I said in that just put on back burner for now until the job market pick up a bit & things are more secure, if he didnt have a job he liked with decent money & an EU job line up then you may be getting a different reply from me

Good luck in what ever you decide

switchlogic:

Hey Luke do you remember a guy on for your firm who goes by the name of everton■■?

Thetaff:

switchlogic:

Hey Luke do you remember a guy on for your firm who goes by the name of everton■■?

was he a liverpool fan from manchester :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What will you regret more a few years down the line?

1. Going for it, it not working out and having to get another UK job, or maybe your old job back?

2. Not going for it, staying with what you have and always wondering what if, and possibly growing to resent your current job and situation because it is preventing you doing what you real want to? Possibley even begining to resent the family, not so far fetched, I know someone who that happened to.

If you can find a Euro job, and that’s a big if, go for it. No point checking out of this life with regrets having always chosen the safe option.

When I was thinking of becoming an OD doing Euro work back in 1989 I had all the responses you are getting on here - “Your in a good job, don’t risk it.”, “Don’t do it, why take a chance.”, “What about the family?”, and so on. Bloody glad I ignored it and went with my heart.

welshboyinspain:

Thetaff:

switchlogic:

was he a liverpool fan from manchester :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

He’s an ARSEnal fan from bath!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thats his actual name though,not a nickname.

Aint it the thrill of driving over the water being the fact that you haven’t done it before?? Clearly he has albeit in a car,but apart from sleeping in a truck aint it the same so to speak??