euro satnav

whats the best satnav for euro work please :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dunno about the actual devices, but as Tomtom are a european company and garmin yank, the tomtom euro maps are reputed to be better. its how you use em that matters.

but I`ve used both tomtom and garmin in europe (on a motorcycle) and found em both worthy

neil46:
whats the best satnav for euro work please :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Why β– β– ? Iraq is not even close. :laughing:

a long story that doesnt have an ending yet

If you get a tom tom you can go here hgvsolutions.com/sales_tomtom.htm and get Western Europe bridges, weight restrictions etcetera, never used it myself as I used lowbridges.com for the U.K. for a tenner but it looks quite good.

If you get the pro plus let us know if its any good. :laughing:

is this 1 any good

cgi.ebay.co.uk/GPS-NAVIGATION-DE … 240%3A1318

Don’t know about that one.

I’d advise a 2nd hand Tom Tom Go 700 or similar with latest maps and Navcore. The 700 has Europe as standard, but you really need to be uptodate with maps. It should have Western and Central Europe 815.2023. map

how about this 1

handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=105

or this 1

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tomtom-GO-700-GPS … 240%3A1318

aranger:
If you get a tom tom you can go here hgvsolutions.com/sales_tomtom.htm and get Western Europe bridges, weight restrictions etcetera, never used it myself as I used lowbridges.com for the U.K. for a tenner but it looks quite good.

I dunno how good their european POIs are. But why pay anything ££ for **UK** tomtom Truck POI files when you can get em for free :unamused:
truck bridge hights in 1 inch increments from 10ft - 16ft 9"
www.poiplaza.com will give you the german maut locations, theres loads of other POI websites to give you every kind of useful POI`s, spend a while searching

Why not just use MS Autoroute & a GPS sensor on a laptop? Much more detailed and easy to use!

peirre:

aranger:

I dunno how good their european POIs are. But why pay anything ££ for **UK** tomtom Truck POI files when you can get em for free :unamused:
truck bridge hights in 1 inch increments from 10ft - 16ft 9"
poiplaza.com will give you the german maut locations, theres loads of other POI websites to give you every kind of useful POI`s, spend a while searching

I tried some of the torrent download ones and they where β– β– β– β– β– β– β– β–  but thats a handy link cheers.

Hope the ind. estate one works as I dont know how many times an address on paper work has simply said such and such industrial estate and I cant get it, cheers.

neil46:
or this 1

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tomtom-GO-700-GPS … 240%3A1318

That seems alright, and It does has the latest navcore, but, the map version is well out of date. See my previous post. You can update it, but its not free normally

aranger:
I tried some of the torrent download ones and they where β– β– β– β– β– β– β– β–  but thats a handy link cheers.

Hope the ind. estate one works as I dont know how many times an address on paper work has simply said such and such industrial estate and I cant get it, cheers.

maybe some aint purfect, but Ive been using the free trucknav ones for sometime. they seem fine to me not had a problem. inc bridges, ind est, etc

why Hgv solutions should be charging for POIs such a as keyfuel, BP, & Shell forcourt locations when they are freely available is beyond me. But I guess some folks are more gulable than others, and will pay out good money. It galls me that they also seem to charge even more for the "PROcab" POIs just to cover weight restrictions, narrow roads, environmental limits, bollards, structural limits, humped bridges, country lanes, width limits. When these are also available off the trucknav site for free.
Again Ive been running those POIs on my tomtom IPAQ for months, and not had a problem.

The joys of the tinterweb, where if you look closely enough, you`ll find the worlds largest FREE source of info

Which reminds me of the time i got into a convo with the bloke selling truck accessories at the truckstop up the road. i mentioned I knew where I could get the old robin walton version of bridge hights for free. He asked me where from, and said he wanted to put em onto CD`s and flog em to the drivers for over Β£10 a pop … cheeky bast

This is pretty much like a mobile phone debate. i.e Some swear by Nokia others swear by Sony Ericcson.

I have used Tom-Tom including the GO700 I have always found them to be good units, clear to read and understand and very easy to use, You can even use the 700 as a bluetooth hands free kit.

i have used a Becker sat-nav again very good bit harder to use than the Tom-Tom until you get used to it.

At the moment I am using a Garmin Nuvi 205 (i think) and found it a very easy and good unit the fact I managed to get our local Halfords to sell it me for Β£70.00 was a bonus. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

depending where you are intending to go into Europe was my decider my Garmin covers most of the Commie Bloc as standard, where as the Tom-Toms tend to only cover the original EU unless you want to spend a few quid upgrading.

If you have a Nokia N95 you can get the Sat-Nav function unlocked by Nokia for Β£30.00.

Get a Garmin nuvi 300 series, its got a truck setting, I’ve used it in a truck and on a motorbike in europe and found it to be excellent.

For my two pennies worth, tried TOM TOM and Garmin. TT got thrown out of the cab useless. Got a Garmin 760t now with the freebie downloads. Never let me down and unlike the TT it works out the type of road most used and routes these first.

My two pence worth, iv’e got an S80 Navman full european spec and does what it says on the tin. Just got back from Porto Maghera in Italy and it took me to the door bell, good luck cus i think its a minefield trying to decide which one :confused: :confused: :confused:

i’ve got tom tom1 v3 and its got me to spain,germany no problem you can now get bridges and width restrictions for free now when you update it via your pc and tomtom home. dont know about euro bridge heights though i’ll check it out when i get a chance

neil try www.directions-uk.co.uk i think the link is they do a navigator for either laptop or pda that has hgv data in the map ive used it and its about as good as snooper and pronavs (shudder) data i think they do pnd device as well but the applcation and maps are fairly cheep worth a look
dont truck the truck setting on garmin it only adjusts your eta

the first ebay link was rinning route66 worth bridge height and weight limit poi it would only have warned you tbey were there