EU work visas

Is there such a thing?

I did 87 days euro work last year so when I had some time off I pretty much had to go to Turkey for a Holiday and was scuppered for anything else over the water until last week.

In theory you can get a visa for the first country you go to (France) or the one you spend the most time in (Germany) you just need accommodation booked, a letter from the co you work for and the one you are delivering to and ‘sufficient funds’

Anyone actually got one or tried getting one?

Please don’t turn this into a pro/anti Brexit thread. We are stuck with it now.

I have an Irish cpc and usually drive Irish plated trucks .

Cheers.

joe royal:
Please don’t turn this into a pro/anti Brexit thread.

OK…No comment.

joe royal:
We are stuck with it now.

Im not sure thats true, but…no other comment.

joe royal:
In theory you can get a visa for the first country you go to (France) or the one you spend the most time in (Germany) you just need accommodation booked, a letter from the co you work for and the one you are delivering to and ‘sufficient funds’

What sort of visa are you referring to here?
As a UK passport holder (dcpc, truck reg, etc, is irrelevant I think) you are allowed 90 days in the EU. (Edit 90 days in a rolling 180 day period)
Thats it. . Visas are issued for 3rd country nationals to reside and work in *individual* countries inside the EU. Each country decides its own rules.
(for countries inside the EU they all look the same. For 3rd countries all EU countries look different).
There is no pan-EU visa, although the lack of border control inside Schengen might give that impression.
You wont get a work permit for an EU country* unless your job has been advertised all over the EU and no-one else wants it . If youre employed by an Eire company (CTA rules apply to UK citizens still*) then look at EU cross border worker agreements. Talk to them first.
I`m open to correction on any/all the above.

**Can of worms.

From what I understand is 90 days in any 180 days period, so plenty of time for a “holiday” after delivering. Also if you enter a non-Schengen country, that stay wouldn’t add to your 90 days.

osark:
From what I understand is 90 days in any 180 days period, so plenty of time for a “holiday” after delivering. Also if you enter a non-Schengen country, that stay wouldn’t add to your 90 days.

Yep, 90 days in a rolling 180 day period. (I`ll edit my post above as I left that bit out)

Switzerland and Norway are both in Schengen Zone but not fully in the EU. Bulgaria, Cyprus, and Romania are not in Schengen Zone.

90 days in Schengen, 90 days Cyprus, back to Schengen Zone for another 90 days again, no problem, as I see it.

There are a lot of variations of work visas, many are country specific with different criteria for minimum financial requirements for each. If your employer wants you to regularly go across the water then they should be aware of the requirements and make the necessary arrangements for you

Does this 90 day lark affect just the driver, or also the (UK registered) truck.
As a Dutch passport holder, I have no restrictions on how long I can work on the other side of the ditch…

This one is simple.
If you live and work abroad, then the company has to sort out a work permit. Here in Norway it’s around 3 months waiting time at the moment. (my permit has expired, but I’m allowed to stay as the application has been made). For Sweden it was quicker, and also needs to be a permanent job. Germany is quite rigorous and takes a while.
But you are still allowed 90 days in 180 in EU on a UK passport.
No such thing as a EU work permit as far as I know.
Cheers
Paul

sonflowerinwales:
This one is simple.
If you live and work abroad, then the company has to sort out a work permit. Here in Norway it’s around 3 months waiting time at the moment. (my permit has expired, but I’m allowed to stay as the application has been made). For Sweden it was quicker, and also needs to be a permanent job. Germany is quite rigorous and takes a while.
Cheers
Paul

Very interesting stuff.
In your case, to be clear if I can ask:
You are a UK passport holder, and are employed by a UK company? Not a Norwegian one?
The company you work for is a UK one? You`re not actually employed by an EU subsidiary company or whatever?
And it is the UK company that asked for the work permit from the Norwegians? Or a company in Norway that is contracting the UK company?

As I understand the OP`s position, he is a UK passport holder, working for an Eire company (all good under the Common Travel Agreement) but driving extensively in the EU.
So an Eire driver is perfectly OK doing that, but is a UK driver OK?
Since it seems he needs some dispensation to work over the 90/180 how does the Eire company get one for him since he is likely to be border hopping in the EU?

I don`t think it is easy.

I just thought, does the 90/180 rule actually apply for work, or just for visiting (I.e. holiday, or living in a second home)? Can a UK passport holder simply work in Europe, for 90 days, without a permit?
I guess you can, when you drive for a UK firm, but can a UK passport holder work for a firm in the Irish Republic?

sonflowerinwales:
This one is simple.
Cheers
Paul

If you work and live in Europe is different from the OP, who I think lives in the UK, and drives in Europe, mainly for Irish firms.

Christ I know I’m going to regret this, I can’t believe I’m asking,.what with the few rabid EU fan boys on here. :smiley:
Here goes… :unamused:

Firms like VOS,.BET, TSA, Verhoek,.Boon, Van Der Vaal, etc, Dutch, Belgian, and French, firms,…a couple who I have worked for myself in the past in fact, who have always employed Brit drivers running their individual country’s registered trucks, …
How do, or how did the Brit drivers stand already in employment, or how did their terms change (if any terms left) after Brexit?

(Taking cover for all the incoming…and gloating . :laughing: ).

robroy:
Christ I know I’m going to regret this, I can’t believe I’m asking,.what with the few rabid EU fan boys on here. :smiley:
Here goes… :unamused:

Firms like VOS,.BET, TSA, Verhoek,.Boon, Van Der Vaal, etc, Dutch, Belgian, and French, firms,…a couple who I have worked for myself in the past in fact, who have always employed Brit drivers running their individual country’s registered trucks, …
How do, or how did the Brit drivers stand already in employment, or how did their terms change (if any terms left) after Brexit?.

(Taking cover for all the incoming…and gloating . :laughing: ).

Most Dutch firms not only employ East Euro drivers, most of the Dutch wagons are registered in Eust Euroland aswel.

A few years ago, a few companies (including one near my old stomping ground Duiven), where looking for (Dutch) drivers to drive on UK work, they where struggling to get drivers willing to drive here…
Something to do with driving on the wrong side of the road, facilities, and the general attitude here I understood.

They’d have to apply for right to remain/citizenship in respective countries. Once they have it they can go wherever they want in the EU.

Conor:
They’d have to apply for right to remain/citizenship in respective countries. Once they have it they can go wherever they want in the EU.

Ok, but my point was I/they, were UK based,. and keeping truck at home in UK, obviously still living here…so not exactly operating from Country of truck registration.
So in that that case do you mean you would have to gain citizenship of whatever country the company belonged to ?

the nodding donkey:
I just thought, does the 90/180 rule actually apply for work, or just for visiting (I.e. holiday, or living in a second home)? Can a UK passport holder simply work in Europe, for 90 days, without a permit?
I guess you can, when you drive for a UK firm, but can a UK passport holder work for a firm in the Irish Republic?

Unless you have some sort of permit, it is 90/180. Thats it. Currently there is no mark in your (UK) passport when you enter/leave EU countries as to the reason for the visit that I have seen. As the OP mentioned if he has worked 87 days out of 180, then he isnt going to be allowed to take a holiday there.
If someone has bought a house in an EU country then that gives them no right of abode. If they want to go beyond 90/180 then they will need some kind of permit. The rules for that are different in all individual EU countries*.
When you say “work in Europe” I think it depends exactly what you mean.

robroy:
How do, or how did the Brit drivers stand already in employment, or how did their terms change (if any terms left) after Brexit?

Looks like a mess to me.

Let`s try to leave Eire companies out of this because that is an extra layer to look at. Assuming a holder of a UK passport only.

If anyone was both living in EU and working for an EU company, pre-Brexit then they should have been able to register as a resident in whatever country they were in, and (more or less) carry on.

If anyone was living in the UK and driving a UK reg truck for a UK office of a foreign company then nowt changes. The name on the door might be European but it`s really a UK company.

A driver living in the UK, but working for a genuine EU company, and in a EU reg truck? They would (I think, I`m open to correction) be regarded as a Cross Border Worker. There are rules about income, and residency taxes, and social security payments. Lots of that around Luxembourg, and FR/D borders for sure.
I guess that any contract in existence before Brexit would continue? But I certainly do not know that.

If anyone wanted to try their hand at EU work a few years ago all they had to do was jump on a ferry, walk into a transport company anywhere in the EU and their driving licence, DCPC, was perfectly good, and although there might be a bit of admin work for the employer to do, there were no problems at all about legality. We all had the same right to work and to live in any and all EU countries as anyone else. Anyone who did that pre-Brexit should have secured all of that and be currently safe.

If that driver lost their job they should be in the system of their new country of residence. They can get a new job in their country of residence…
BUT they cannot get a job in a different EU country*. As the UK is now a 3rd country, and documents we UK passport holders have is for us in ONE EU country.

Now, post Brexit, if you want to get a job with an EU company…bloody difficult.
If a Dutch company wants to employ a driver, then they must firstly try to employ an EU driver. If after advertising in employment exchanges all over the EU, they cant find one, then they might apply to the Dutch Gov for permission to employ a 3rd country national. The Dutch Gov might well have some favoured countries to deal with. Without good reason, it looks bad for a UK driver. OK, there may be some small family companies that would take on someone "off the cards" but we arent talking about that here.

*To explain a bit: all EU countries look the same for all EU passport holders. But for 3rd country citizens, (UK) all EU countries are different.
Its the same with paperwork for goods> the documents to export a load to France is different to the docs for a load to Germany. The EU is there to make things easier for EU members, it isnt there to make things easier for 3rd countries.

robroy:

Conor:

Ok, but my point was I/they, were UK based,. and keeping truck at home in UK, obviously still living here…so not exactly operating from Country of truck registration.
So in that that case do you mean you would have to gain citizenship of whatever country the company belonged to ?

I might have answered this above, but,
Citizenship isnt the same as residency rights. But any UK passport holder wanting to work in an EU country has a hard job in front of them. Getting residency as a retiree for instance depends upon an individual countrys rules, and seems to be dependent upon an immigrant from a 3rd country, such as the UK, proving they have sufficient funds to support themselves.
Once a residency card is granted, for however long that is valid, might give the right to work in that one country. It does not give the right to live nor work in a different EU country. Once inside Schengen, borders can be easily crossed, but residency and employment are not the same in all Schengen member states.

Thanks for the concise answer Frangers,.and for resisting the ( I suspect ) strong urge, temptation and opportunity of ‘having a go’ …given the subject matter. :smiley:
I’ll really need to reciprocate and try and do the same with you in future…(however difficult it may be :wink: :laughing: )
#firstdayoftruce :smiley: …(.let’s see how long it lasts. :smiley: )

the nodding donkey:

Some UK companies seem to have “flagged out” trucks to Eire offices. Im not 100% sure so no names mentioned.... And Ive heard (no written evidence so no names) that UK drivers were “moved across” too. On paper even if not in fact. The trucke were moved because of Cabotage problems in their particular line of work. UK trucks could no longer do it post Brexit.
A UK citizen can work for an Eire company under the CTA.
gov.uk/government/publicati … a-guidance

But that doesn`t give the OP (assuming he has UK passport) the right to more than 90/180 in Schengen Zone.

robroy:
Thanks for the concise answer Frangers,.and for resisting the ( I suspect ) strong urge, temptation and opportunity of ‘having a go’ …given the subject matter. :smiley:
I’ll really need to reciprocate and try and do the same with you in future…(however difficult it may be :wink: :laughing: )
#firstdayoftruce :smiley: …(.let’s see how long it lasts. :smiley: )

No worries
:smiley:

Franglais:
Very interesting stuff.
In your case, to be clear if I can ask:
You are a UK passport holder, and are employed by a UK company? Not a Norwegian one?
The company you work for is a UK one? You`re not actually employed by an EU subsidiary company or whatever?
And it is the UK company that asked for the work permit from the Norwegians? Or a company in Norway that is contracting the UK company?

Bonjour Franglais
I am indeed a UK passport holder, home is most definitely in Wales. I am employed by a UK company, but paid (and taxed!) by a Norwegian umbrella outfit. I am, if you like, “on loan” to a Norwegian company for a 12 month contract, due to renew February 2024.
It was the exactly the same setup when I was in Sweden.
But in Holland I was employed by a UK agency and paid by a Danish outfit, but that was pre-Brexit…
Any other questions, drop me a PM.
Cheers
Paul