EU work visas

sonflowerinwales:

Franglais:
Very interesting stuff.
In your case, to be clear if I can ask:
You are a UK passport holder, and are employed by a UK company? Not a Norwegian one?
The company you work for is a UK one? You`re not actually employed by an EU subsidiary company or whatever?
And it is the UK company that asked for the work permit from the Norwegians? Or a company in Norway that is contracting the UK company?

Bonjour Franglais
I am indeed a UK passport holder, home is most definitely in Wales. I am employed by a UK company, but paid (and taxed!) by a Norwegian umbrella outfit. I am, if you like, “on loan” to a Norwegian company for a 12 month contract, due to renew February 2024.
It was the exactly the same setup when I was in Sweden.
But in Holland I was employed by a UK agency and paid by a Danish outfit, but that was pre-Brexit…
Any other questions, drop me a PM.
Cheers
Paul

Hi ya. No particular questions for me thanks, and without asking you to give out personal stuff, and help us all understand how it works.
I gather from your former posts that the actual work you do isnt exactly the sort of steering wheel stuff that most of us do. The Norwegian company is paying you directly? Hence you are paying Norway tax? I assume there is a reciprocal arrangement so you dont pay UK tax too!
Norway is a special case here because alike Switzerland it is in Schengen, but not in the EU.
Norway and Switzerland are in EFTA.
(I`m not mentioning Lichtenstein and Iceland!)

And I was thinking the Schrodinger borders between EU/Eire/NI/UK was enough to be going on with… :smiley:

Monsieur Franglais
I have no secrets to hide.
(Apart from the ones I’d rather my wife not know, but that is another story… and the benefit of living away from home)
You are correct, I’m not a steering wheel operative, more a technical type chap who plays with rather expensive hardware.
How about a single use fuel filter for £5,000? Or a pipe inspection costing £15k!
I’m paid in Euro by a Norwegian company into my Dutch account and pay tax in Norway, currently around 45%, but pay nothing to our glorious UK government.
Once I escape from the UK and get though customs, I’m free to wander around the EU as much as I need/want to, no hassle at borders. 28 flights this year so far.
I do enjoy it, but miss being at home. (Unless there’s a party going on somewhere…)
Cheers
Paul

Hi there SonFlowerInWales, yep from your first posts it was clear that your toys were a bit above our wee grounded trucks!
Nice to see that ESA(?) is outside of the…B-word…thing.
Since you`re paying taxes in Norway then you presumably have a Norwegian work and/or residence permit? Hence you have no problem in staying inside Schengen Zone as long as you like.

Our OP though, has no such permit/visa so cant stay inside Schengen over 90/180. Since he is (it seems) on a UK passport, and works for an Eire company (Eire is outside Schengen) then that is why he appears to be a bind. His truck is legal, but he isnt. An Eire passported driver would be legal.
At least that is the situation as described.

Guess your Norway tax includes an element of pension? Might be a nice little bonus in the future for you! :smiley:

Ed to add
If you do have a permit then I assume that was arranged with your Norwegian company and the N Government.
Again since our OP has no need for a permit to work in Eire, and even if he did, a permit for a foreigner to reside/work in Eire, wouldnt extend into the rest of the EU as Eire isnt in Schengen.