EU Third Directive on trailer width for cars,vans

The EU are going to make us change the maximum width of trailers being towed by a car or van under 3.5 tons. They intend to scrap our 2.3 maximum width limit for cars and van and increase it to 2.55 metres to comply with the rest of the EU. Do you agree with the change or not ? Will it mean more EU caravan persons coming into the UK ? I would like to hear your thoughts.

I dont have a problem with it, hopefuly will get me a bigger caravan…

If there is to be a driving test to include the extra width then why not! Althought I doubt it.

I used to pull different size trailers and caravans on a car licence sometimes with a car and sometimes with a transit or pickup.

Not sure of the regs but I believe a new driver now has to pass a test before they can pull ANY trailer■■? If that is the case (maybe not and would like to be corrected) then surely any width increase should need further driving qualification.

Some caravan pullers now are in need of width awareness courses.

Rick B:
Not sure of the regs but I believe a new driver now has to pass a test before they can pull ANY trailer■■? If that is the case (maybe not and would like to be corrected)

A ‘B’ (car) licence holder can tow a trailer provided that the combined maximum weight is not over 3.5 tonnes

A newly passed car driver can use a 2 tonne car to tow a 1.5 tonne trailer for example without having to take any towing test - go figure !!!

Go figure what??

What is a 1.5 tonne trailer?? I really don’t know and haven’t looked into that because it doesn’t apply to me and at a guess a 1.5 tonne trailer is about the size of a wheelbarrow I wouldn’t bother :wink:

Rick B:
Go figure what??

What is a 1.5 tonne trailer?? I really don’t know and haven’t looked into that because it doesn’t apply to me and at a guess a 1.5 tonne trailer is about the size of a wheelbarrow I wouldn’t bother :wink:

I wonder what an average caravan weighs■■?

an average caravan is around 1200kgs.
allowing full width trailers will mean our caravan manufacturers may go wider. should,nt be a problem as cars have been steadily getting bigger for years.

Caravan Dealers Rubbing their hands as everyone trys to get a good deal on a EU spec Hobby or Fendt Caravan before the prices rocket.

ROG:
A newly passed car driver can use a 2 tonne car to tow a 1.5 tonne trailer for example without having to take any towing test - go figure !!!

:exclamation: :exclamation: …and trailer itself is no heavier than 750 kgs!

You can’t pull 1,5 ton trailer behind your car, even if it totals less than 3.5t. For heavy trailer you need to obtain B+E category.

…so no, he can’t. You are wrong on that.

ROG:

orys:
:exclamation: :exclamation: …and trailer itself is no heavier than 750 kgs!

You can’t pull 1,5 ton trailer behind your car, even if it totals less than 3.5t. For heavy trailer you need to obtain B+E category.

orys:
…so no, he can’t. You are wrong on that.

Some info for you orys mate…
Towing trailers or caravans with vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

The 750kgs rule is relevant for C & D catagories but can apply in some B catagories - see link

Hi Rog

there trailer of 1.5 tons is gross weight so if you are going to pull that trailer it would probably a 750kg so you could carry 750kg load

the quote says

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

my car as a gross weight of 1.3 tons and i could pull a trailer with goods on totalling 1 ton with brakes or 400kg without brakes

it all down to maximum authorised mass (MAM),or in old money gross combined weight

dave:
an average caravan is around 1200kgs.
allowing full width trailers will mean our caravan manufacturers may go wider. should,nt be a problem as cars have been steadily getting bigger for years.

Putting the caravan weight up to about 1.5 tonnes would seem realistic and with a people carrier or a 4x4 pulling it, that would be about the 3.5 tonne mark so legal on a car licence if it does not exceed the combined 3.5 tonnes total.

ROG:

You’re right.

The question I was asking in a roundabout PC way was," Do you think that we might be flooded by EU travellers in their wider caravans living cheaper than renting a house and nicking our jobs whilst sending home to their wives and children WFTC and Child benifit ?, This change could happen as soon as March.

You are forgeting that the MAM of the trailer cannot exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle for you to be able to drive a combination of less than 3.5t on a b licence!

you can drive a 3.5t vehicle with a trailer on a b licence if that trailer does not exceed 750 kgs

miketdt:
The question I was asking in a roundabout PC way was," Do you think that we might be flooded by EU travellers in their wider caravans living cheaper than renting a house and nicking our jobs whilst sending home to their wives and children WFTC and Child benifit ?, This change could happen as soon as March.

romainain gypsies are already a problem over here, we dont need anymore of them!! but…if there are genuine holiday goers and more economy into the uk, them im up for that!

burnie1:
You are forgeting that the MAM of the trailer cannot exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle for you to be able to drive a combination of less than 3.5t on a b licence!

I don’t think that is written in law - just a designer recommendation…

ROG:

burnie1:

I don’t think that is written in law - just a designer recommendation…

hi Rog

if you read you quote you will see it

ROG:

Apologies to all - you are right Del - I was thinking B+E …

For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E.

And

Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle.

i passed my car driving test (B class) in 2001, because i passed it after 1998 i was not allowed to pull any sort of trailer what so ever, unless i passed a test for it, in which case i passed my class 1! :smiley: if you have got B+E on the back of your license you can drive upto 3.5t MAM, so thats the combined weight sorted but then there is also a recommended weight it can pull and thats in the cars handbook, my zafira weighs in at 1300kg, its designed to pull nothing more that 1350kg which is similar to a caravan!