EU Third Directive on trailer width for cars,vans

chappy261:
i passed my car driving test (B class) in 2001, because i passed it after 1998 i was not allowed to pull any sort of trailer what so ever, unless i passed a test for it,

Whoever informed you of that was either incorrect, wrong or did not know what they were talking about.

ROG:

chappy261:
i passed my car driving test (B class) in 2001, because i passed it after 1998 i was not allowed to pull any sort of trailer what so ever, unless i passed a test for it,

Whoever informed you of that was either incorrect, wrong or did not know what they were talking about.

before i passed my class 1, there was no B+E on my licence and thats the part that is required to tow a trailer, check this out alanmoffat.com/carvan.htm and ask why is there a compulsery test at the end?

chappy261:
before i passed my class 1, there was no B+E on my licence and thats the part that is required to tow a trailer

you do not need B+E to tow a trailer unless the combined weight is over 3.5 tonnes -
Towing trailers or caravans with vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

A ‘B’ (not B+E) driver can tow a 1.5 tonne caravan with a 2 tonne vehicle

ROG:

chappy261:
before i passed my class 1, there was no B+E on my licence and thats the part that is required to tow a trailer

you do not need B+E to tow a trailer unless the combined weight is over 3.5 tonnes -
Towing trailers or caravans with vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

A ‘B’ (not B+E) driver can tow a 1.5 tonne caravan with a 2 tonne vehicle

Only if the MAM of the caravan does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle!

The rules are changing at some point. Smaller trailer combinations will come under a new driving licence but the DSA are proposing that the test will be the same as the B+E making it pointless to do that test and not a B+E test. Put it another way the combination will be smaller so more people will have to take tests to stay legal!

burnie1:
if the MAM of the caravan does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle!

good point and worth checking before the decosion is made to drive a combination.

burnie1:
The rules are changing at some point.

Have they said when and exactly what those changes are likely to be ?