Eu referendum whats your vote

whiplash:
Answers in simple English please.
If Britain wants out,(and I respect their right to have voted out),and lots on here agree they are a net contributor,why oh why arent they saying to the EU,were out.
Like what is actually stopping them from walking?
Surely there must be some element of truth in moneys being owed,or whatever phrase you want to put on it.Or some legal aspect?
If theyre so sure theyre right why not do a Harvey Smith on it?

If “The Buzzer” and me were in charge that’s exactly what the EU would get from the UK —a bloody great Double V sign !! PD ■■■■■■■ Q !! Bewick.

whiplash:
If Britain wants out,(and I respect their right to have voted out),and lots on here agree they are a net contributor,why oh why arent they saying to the EU,were out.
Surely there must be some element of truth in moneys being owed,or whatever phrase you want to put on it.Or some legal aspect?

We are a net contributor if all you calculate are contributions and direct receipts, such as grants for under developed areas. That doesn’t take into account the benefits to business of tariff free trade: with taxes ourexport goods will cost more in the EU, so sales could be lost. With extra customs someone has to pay for extra admin, and goods could take longer (time is always money) to travel. All of that is ignored in a simple calculation.

If we were to leave tomorrow we would still be trading with the same companies and countries. The UK Gov can’t really tell Nissan Sunderland to buy their widgets from Australia rather than Austria. We won’t be buying tomatoes from Brazil rather than Spain.
Remember 40% of our food is imported. EU is our biggest and nearest trading partner.
Stick out fingers up today, what trading deals will we get tomorrow?
If a haulier has a customer welch on a deal today, what deal will they get tomorrow? It won’t be a good one, will it? You’d charge more and get the debt back before trusting them with a reasonable rate for the job.
And who else in the world would give us a good rate of they saw we were untrustworthy?
No one in Gov* is saying it isn’t a legal debt. They may argue about the amount, but it is a debt.
I think the UK is a country with honour, and wish that to continue. I wouldn’t want us to be thought of as cheats.
Wouldn’t do much for own main earners, the Bankers and financial service providers if we got a reputation as being dishonourable either. Who’d trust us with their money if we look like debtors.

*edit apart from the ‘usual suspects’
Plus how about our being at the table when standards are set? Do we want a say in Euro 7? Galileo satellites? Atomic standards? Few movement of academics? No one in Brexit even thinks about these things let alone costs them.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

whiplash:

We are a net contributor if all you calculate are contributions and direct receipts, such as grants for under developed areas. That doesn’t take into account the benefits to business of tariff free trade: with taxes ourexport goods will cost more in the EU, so sales could be lost. With extra customs someone has to pay for extra admin, and goods could take longer (time is always money) to travel. All of that is ignored in a simple calculation.

If we were to leave tomorrow we would still be trading with the same companies and countries. The UK Gov can’t really tell Nissan Sunderland to buy their widgets from Australia rather than Austria. We won’t be buying tomatoes from Brazil rather than Spain.
Remember 40% of our food is imported. EU is our biggest and nearest trading partner.
If a haulier has a customer welch on a deal today, what deal will they get tomorrow? It won’t be a good one, will it? You’d charge more and get the debt back before trusting them with a reasonable rate for the job.
And who else in the world would give us a good rate of they saw we were untrustworthy?
No one in Gov* is saying it isn’t a legal debt. They may argue about the amount, but it is a debt.
I think the UK is a country with honour, and wish that to continue. I wouldn’t want us to be thought of as cheats.
Wouldn’t do much for own main earners, the Bankers and financial service providers if we got a reputation as being dishonourable either. Who’d trust us with their money if we look like debtors.

Plus how about our being at the table when standards are set? Do we want a say in Euro 7? Galileo satellites? Atomic standards? Few movement of academics? No one in Brexit even thinks about these things let alone costs them.

I haven’t said much about all the arguments raging backwards and forwards, but I must take serious issue with the false claim I have highlighted in red. My background is food production and distribution for 40 plus years, so to read that makes it look like 40% of our food is imported from the EU. It isn’t. We have a 90,000 pallets cold store and not 10% of its content is from the EU. It is UK produced various products, New Zealand lamb, Thai chicken (up to 10 containers a day come in), frozen orange juice from Florida and California and so on. Granted we have fresh produce from the EU, but mainly out of UK season items. As has been said by others we can manage without tasteless Dutch tomatoes, Spanish strawberries, again tasteless and as hard as bullets. The remainers cannot come up with any coherent new arguments, just the same factless scare tactics.

I should add that we distribute salad products to supermarket RDCs for the largest UK based grower, that also has farms in Spain and the USA and has trading agreements with grower cooperatives in other countries, both EU and non-EU. So again we’re not going to starve. Contingency supply arrangements are already in place in the event of a no-deal withdrawal. Yes it will mean higher prices in the shops in the short term but people will have the choice whether to purchase or not. Both sides of the argument, leavers and remainers, need to keep the entire Brexit fiasco in perspective and cut back on the hysteria.

gingerfold:

Franglais:

whiplash:

I haven’t said much about all the arguments raging backwards and forwards, but I must take serious issue with the false claim I have highlighted in red. My background is food production and distribution for 40 plus years, so to read that makes it look like 40% of our food is imported from the EU. It isn’t. We have a 90,000 pallets cold store and not 10% of its content is from the EU. It is UK produced various products, New Zealand lamb, Thai chicken (up to 10 containers a day come in), frozen orange juice from Florida and California and so on. Granted we have fresh produce from the EU, but mainly out of UK season items. As has been said by others we can manage without tasteless Dutch tomatoes, Spanish strawberries, again tasteless and as hard as bullets. The remainers cannot come up with any coherent new arguments, just the same factless scare tactics.

I should add that we distribute salad products to supermarket RDCs for the largest UK based grower, that also has farms in Spain and the USA and has trading agreements with grower cooperatives in other countries, both EU and non-EU. So again we’re not going to starve. Contingency supply arrangements are already in place in the event of a no-deal withdrawal. Yes it will mean higher prices in the shops in the short term but people will have the choice whether to purchase or not. Both sides of the argument, leavers and remainers, need to keep the entire Brexit fiasco in perspective and cut back on the hysteria.

Anyone who wants the figurws can go to Full Fact .org or any other independent site.
I’m not trying to deliberately mislead anyone here.
Your perception from working for one or two companies is hardly objective, although I’m not accusing you of being any sort of dishonesty.

How many votes out on the basis they may have less choice of, and pay more for their food?
None of the bad things are garanteed to happen, but denying the possibilities is wrong.

^^^^Knowledge of the Food Industry. Since 1968, two very major producers of a wide portfolio of products, where my job took me to several EU and non-EU countries and one very major UK haulage company, where I’m still employed. My current job gives me daily contact with customers ranging from millers, growers, and food processers. Yes, three employers but a multitude of companies within the food industry. So I know a bit about the industry. Perhaps you might care to outline your own experience of it and if it’s superior to mine then I’ll give way to your knowledge, but never ever accuse me of subjectivity.

The price of food is fast becoming the latest scare story from remain, the sad fact is that food is too cheap in this country, the population’s households spend a significantly lesser amount of their income on food than do those in many other countries. UK food expenditure rates 4th or 5th in the ranking of household expenditure behind categories which include the purchase of cars, culture, holidays and recreation. Historically in the late 1950s we spent between 27 & 33% of our income on food, now it is between 12 & 16%. Probably the most significant factors relating to our current food spending are the amount of food which is wasted or bought uneconomically eg: processed/prepared or by brand name.

I am well aware of the argument about food banks, this however is more to do with the distribution of wealth and disposable income than the price of food.

gingerfold:
^^^^Knowledge of the Food Industry. Since 1968, two very major producers of a wide portfolio of products, where my job took me to several EU and non-EU countries and one very major UK haulage company, where I’m still employed. My current job gives me daily contact with customers ranging from millers, growers, and food processers. Yes, three employers but a multitude of companies within the food industry. So I know a bit about the industry. Perhaps you might care to outline your own experience of it and if it’s superior to mine then I’ll give way to your knowledge, but never ever accuse me of subjectivity.

I fully concede that you may have a daily interaction with the food industries much deeper and wider than mine.
But I doubt it is wider and deeper than that of the ONS, FullFact or any other legitimate number crunchers.
I’m not setting up a particular set of numbers, I’m agreeing with your previous post that we should look deeper at properly sourced stats.

Hi all, on our local new’s last night they were once again talking about all the chaos that is going to start on the local road’s when there are thousands of lorries waiting to clear custom’s in and out off UK.A local haulier said they have wasted the million’s that’s been given to ferry companies already to plan for this chaos because it wont happen as most of the vehicles travelling across the channel are from Europe not UK hauler’s so EU hauliers will not want to go back to clearing custom’s so it will not happen and also very quickly mentioned that it is already in place to clear the good’s through custom’s electronically before the truck leave’s it loading place.I find this very strange and still think that 90% of all that we are being told is just scare mongering in the hope that the nation will demand another vote. :sunglasses:

Franglais:

gingerfold:

I fully concede that you may have a daily interaction with the food industries much deeper and wider than mine.
But I doubt it is wider and deeper than that of the ONS, FullFact or any other legitimate number crunchers.
I’m not setting up a particular set of numbers, I’m agreeing with your previous post that we should look deeper at properly sourced stats.

Just walk into any major supermarket and look for EU imported Meat,Fish,Dairy and Fruit and Veg as opposed to domestically,if not non EU,produced for the ‘facts’. :unamused:

Also your double standards as to UK exports being lost in the EU market would be a disaster but the EU would be happy to lose its UK export market.Great we’ll have a food and car based trade war that’ll work out well for the German and Spanish exporters.

Just a quickie on the food front. I was in my local Aldi store yesterday (a German company, remember) and did a quick snapshot survey of the fresh fruit and veg section. Apart from oranges and lemons from Spain, almost everything else was sourced from the UK or from outside the EU. Strawberries from Israel, melons from Brazil, blueberries from Ecuador. parsnips from Africa and so on. It also occurred to me that these “fresh” foods could not conceivably have been picked the day before, some having travelled half way around the world, so I can’t see that the threatened customs hold-ups would have such a big effect as is being reported.

Franglais:

gingerfold:

I agree that is the problem Franglais, so much of what is out there from various sources is open to different interpretation. What happens from time to time in the food industry still surprises me. A few years ago I was astounded when containers of onions from New Zealand started to arrive at the consolidation hub. Surely an instance of the transport costs being far greater than the value of the product, especially as then we were doing seasonal bulk haulage of onions from field to storage, a distance of 12 miles from our consolidation hub. And the locally grown onions were every bit as strong as those from NZ.

Regardless of ones in/out thoughts,Mr Tusk surely hasn`t endeared himself to many today, with his “place in hell” comments.Not very statesman-like.

whiplash:
Regardless of ones in/out thoughts,Mr Tusk surely hasn`t endeared himself to many today, with his “place in hell” comments.Not very statesman-like.

It can swivel. :imp:

whiplash:

Agree with that and he knows his gravy is getting thinner and may dissapear altogether in time, Buzzer

whiplash:

I agree. Not helpful at all.

What was the straw that broke the back of his temper I wonder?
Maybe he’s been reading TNUK?
Being told he’s a corrupt, stinking drunkard, with his snout in the trough, purely selfish, in his deceitful lies and manoevering has ■■■■■■ him off a bit?

;-?

Being told he’s a corrupt, stinking drunkard, with his snout in the trough, purely selfish, in his deceitful lies and manoevering has ■■■■■■ him off a bit?

;-?

Well, they do say the truth hurts…

fodenway:

;-?

Well, they do say the truth hurts…

It does indeed.

And for those who remember Boris Johnson’s expression when it dawned on him Brexit was really happening…
Bit like a dog who’s chased a noisy motorbike down the road…
And caught it !
“What’ll I do now?”

I think Tusk has done a Gerald Ratner

Franglais:

whiplash:

I agree. Not helpful at all.

;-?
:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Just supposing that in the end the wish of the 17.4 million in this country get there way and we do actually leave the EU with no deal on the 29th of May and this brings down the corrupt EU and its remaining members just how will it pan out. For sure if we do get out at the given time you can forget all this ■■■■■■■■ about miles of trucks waiting for customs I don’t think this would happen as I believe all the countries we do trade with now in Europe will want to continue, if in business you just cant stop the trade and the financial flow because the money is the life blood of any business, stop that and every thing comes to a grinding halt.
Will be interesting to see what does happen in the end when TM comes back from Brussels with just a few tweaks on the backstop and she gets rejected in Whitehall again, thinking about it I am hoping this is the case in the end and we get free providing there is absolutely no extension to the deadline to leave. Any longer period would just exacerbate the situation and if we have had nearly 3 years and not come up with an answer what point would there be in elongating the discussions, cheers Buzzer.