Essex police want professional drivers banned for mobile pho

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-23585694

No need to do this if the current systems are used to better effect - the TC has powers which can sort this for the driver and the employer

crap, utter crap if they are going to take a licence away from a truck driver they have to do it to motrbikes, cars and bus drivers!

I know there’s some HGV drivers who use their mobiles while driving, but it’s an epidemic among car drivers. Alot of car drivers drive around with their phones on their lap. After getting caught once, I think if drivers get caught a 2nd time, maybe a 2 week suspension of a driving licence should be applied, I’d like to see something along those lines tried rather than calling for drivers to be sacked.

discoman:
crap, utter crap if they are going to take a licence away from a truck driver they have to do it to motrbikes, cars and bus drivers!

I think that’s along the lines of what the RHA have said

I think all drivers should be banned for using a mobile phone whilst driving.

Unfortunately, this Chief Constable’s comments merely segregates professional drivers from the rest! And once again, truck drivers and other pro drivers are to be treated differently from all the other road users who don’t drive professionally, or only commute, or deliver their children to school, and often exhibit the most dangerous road behaviour!

Don’t get me wrong. I DO believe professional drivers should obviously drive more professionally, but we already have greater training requirements and the same twelve points on our licence to lose as the man/woman who drives five miles to work each day and sits in a traffic jam applying their make-up or reading their office presentation whilst doing it.

Maybe if the police stopped more people using their phone whilst driving, the message would sink in. But the fact of the matter is, if I’d got £5 for each driver I see using their phone illegally, I’d just about be earning about the same as a Chief Constable of Police!

Given you can buy a car stereo from Halfords with bluetooth built in which will work as hands free for under £100 why don’t they fit trucks with them as standard?

Make a hands-free mobile phone required equipment in all vehicles, or a universal hands free facility for your own phone.

For how cheap you can buy a bluetooth earpiece now the drivers who get caught with a handheld up to their ears deserve the full weight of the law, whatever the status of the driver.

is it not the case now that when a driver with an lgv licence has been caught on the mobile phone the police force concerend inform the traffic commisioners office of the driver and the offence

Its about time Bluetooth hands free wasn’t seen as an expensive extra and started to be standard in lorries. In the 12 years I’ve been driving trucks this is the first one I’ve driven with it and it makes such a difference.

As for firms that constantly chase their drivers up on the phone, Aren’t they “Aiding and Abetting”?

Bluetooth is standard in the majority of new cars but even if it’s fitted many don’t bother to ever set it up & use it - pure laziness - it’s easier to stick the phone against your ear.

Increasing the penalties & adding points is fine but it needs to be enforced and with the decreasing number of coppers seen around that ain’t going to happen.

Borg head sets ■■■■, I’ve got about 3 & didn’t get on with any of them.

Our company has a policy that says mobile phones shouldn’t be switched on whist driving but have inbuilt hands free fitted :confused:
Suits me fine, the job runs so much smoother without them ringing up, sort of defeats the point of having a mobile phone though !

good, but while your at it, ban smoking for everyone while driving, inc car drivers

holliefabbabe:
good, but while your at it, ban smoking for everyone while driving, inc car drivers

Its only a matter of time, I like a ciggy when I’m driving but also like a bluetooth earpiece as it interfers with my ciggy hand if I have to hold a phone as well.

Course I now have an electronic one, but will tug on a proper one when I get chance.

Nothing wrong with the cheif tnucstables proposal but are we really turning into such a nanny state when we have to be told the f-in obvious.

holliefabbabe:

Why?

discoman:

Exactly…

Don’t make/receive calls whilst driving then you have nothing to worry about. :wink:

This is what I tell the gaffer. Call my next delivery point if its urgent and I’ll get back to you. If you feel the need to speak to the caller pull in where safe and do it then.

As another point, most car manufacturers now actively promote the connectivity of their vehicles and encourage such distractions in a vehicle!

‘Our new vehicle now includes a free points on your licence function’!

You see it all the time, talking/texting etc and they even strap the devices to the steering wheel. Ban the buggers for at least three months IMO.