Essex lorry deaths: 4 Men Jailed

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-55765213

Ronan Hughes, 41, and Gheorghe Nica, 43, played “leading roles” in the smuggling conspiracy and were jailed for 20 and 27 years respectively.

Eamonn Harrison, 24, who towed the trailer to the Belgian port of Zeebrugge before their journey to the UK, was sentenced to 18 years.

Maurice Robinson, 26, was given 13 years and four months, having collected the trailer and opened it in an industrial estate to find the migrants dead.

I’m guessing Robinson got the lower sentence because they were already dead by the time he collected the trailer. Looks like that because of calls made during the voyage they’d been alive at Zeebrugge.

Where have all the #justiceforMo hashtags gone?

Robinson coughed to it more or less from the off, couldn’t do anything else really, that would explain the “discount” on his sentence, that and the information he gave “assisting the enquiry” likewise Hughes who also pleaded guilty from the off
Nica pleaded not guilty and tried to sell a complete pack of lies in court that the prosecution barrister tore to shreds that’s why the judge nailed his hat on with twenty seven years, similarly Harrison who was handed eighteen years
The earlier the guilty plea, the bigger the discount especially when the judge is handing out “deterrent” prison terms

If ever there was a real reason for bringing back capital punishment then these 4 would be candidates.
Death by suffocation in an enclosed space would be apt.

Grumpy_old_trucker:
If ever there was a real reason for bringing back capital punishment then these 4 would be candidates.
Death by suffocation in an enclosed space would be apt.

i prefer death by a thousand cuts for these money driven scum mate… :imp:

four pieces of scum . If Woody hadn’t rang the ambulance’s you can be sure the whole lot - trailer and the contents would have dissapeared without trace . These thugs have nothing to do with haulage - it is just a quick and easy way to make money. It boils my ■■■■ that the general public now thinks that this is what lorry drivers do . I’d agree all candidates for a short rope from a high tree .

beefy4605:
four pieces of scum . If Woody hadn’t rang the ambulance’s you can be sure the whole lot - trailer and the contents would have dissapeared without trace . .

That has always puzzled me why they did not do just that,.who would have known?
I would have thought that matey will get his comeuppance whilst inside, for ringing it in on 999, , he’s the reason for them all doing time for it, and obviously not the brightest button in the box.
( Not condoning anything btw, just a bit of lateral thinking.)

If they keep their nose clean and behave etc will they not get a third off of their sentence. If so that doesn’t make it a big penalty for all those lives.

On longer sentences they can earn more privileges such as having a Hi-fi ,or a guitar in their cell or pad , and if allowed , photos on the wall to make it more comfortable .

No sympathy for any of em, but if you take the nature of the initial crime out of it for a minute, Does anybody else think that 13 yrs for that Mo character for picking the trailer up was a bit harsh?
Anytime I’ve picked a trailer up at docks, first thing I’ve done is open the back doors to check, if he had done that he could have assessed the situation, either ring his boss, for instructions, then maybe do as I said in my previous post, or inform the dock authorities, or just distance himself from it by just leaving it there, and getting to hell away from it.
Self preservation by damage limitation in a dodgy situation, aka being ‘streetwise’. :bulb:
So now he’s picked the trailer up, therefore involved himself, drove out the docks, phoned 999, and it’s cost him 13 yrs of his life, … for being too ■■■■ fim for his own good. :unamused:

Ok I know he was a cog in the machine, but his actual hands on involvement was minimal, I ain’t no legal expert, but 5 yrs would have been more like it imo.

robroy:
No sympathy for any of em, but if you take the nature of the initial crime out of it for a minute, Does anybody else think that 13 yrs for that Mo character for picking the trailer up was a bit harsh?
Anytime I’ve picked a trailer up at docks, first thing I’ve done is open the back doors to check, if he had done that he could have assessed the situation, either ring his boss, for instructions, then maybe do as I said in my previous post, or inform the dock authorities, or just distance himself from it by just leaving it there, and getting to hell away from it.
Self preservation by damage limitation in a dodgy situation, aka being ‘streetwise’. :bulb:
So now he’s picked the trailer up, therefore involved himself, drove out the docks, phoned 999, and it’s cost him 13 yrs of his life, … for being too [zb] fim for his own good. :unamused:

Ok I know he was a cog in the machine, but his actual hands on involvement was minimal, I ain’t no legal expert, but 5 yrs would have been more like it imo.

Robinson was involved in this up to his neck, he knew exactly what was going on here and had been an integral part of this criminal gang’s activites for many months, he made no attempt to hide the financial reward for his part in the enterprise with his large house and luxury cars, so proof positive we’re not talking about a criminal mastermind
As the Detective in charge of the investigation said after the sentencing, this gang targeted vulnerable immigrants and took full advantage of them, treating them in a way you would’nt dream of treating animals, they had zero regard for them, packing them in an airtight trailer with no means of escape, they’d been doing it for so long that they totally disregared any notion of danger, because of a failed attempt previously, they doubled up the number of people going into that trailer with no thoughts about the oxygen supply.
Any notion of Robinson keeping his gob shut on discovery of the dead bodies is frankly not credible, if you’ve seen the CCTV footage of him opening the door to reveal the full horror with the clouds of vapour escaping into the night air is a scene from a nightmare horror movie, in any case, what the hell is his going to do with 39 dead bodies? drive around Ireland in that Scania with a 13M fridge trailer dropping them off in bus shelters and waste skips?
No, he got what he deserved, they all did, the judge made it quite clear they were getting exemplary jail terms as a deterrent to others involved or thinking of getting involved in this trade

bigdave789:

robroy:
So now he’s picked the trailer up, therefore involved himself, drove out the docks, phoned 999, and it’s cost him 13 yrs of his life, … for being too [zb] fim for his own good. :unamused:

Robinson was involved in this up to his neck, he knew exactly what was going on here and had been an integral part of this criminal gang’s activites for many months, he made no attempt to hide the financial reward for his part in the enterprise with his large house and luxury cars, so proof positive we’re not talking about a criminal mastermind
As the Detective in charge of the investigation said after the sentencing, this gang targeted vulnerable immigrants and took full advantage of them, treating them in a way you would’nt dream of treating animals, they had zero regard for them, packing them in an airtight trailer with no means of escape, they’d been doing it for so long that they totally disregared any notion of danger, because of a failed attempt previously, they doubled up the number of people going into that trailer with no thoughts about the oxygen supply.
Any notion of Robinson keeping his gob shut on discovery of the dead bodies is frankly not credible, if you’ve seen the CCTV footage of him opening the door to reveal the full horror with the clouds of vapour escaping into the night air is a scene from a nightmare horror movie, in any case, what the hell is his going to do with 39 dead bodies? drive around Ireland in that Scania with a 13M fridge trailer dropping them off in bus shelters and waste skips?
No, he got what he deserved, they all did, the judge made it quite clear they were getting exemplary jail terms as a deterrent to others involved or thinking of getting involved in this trade

Ok point taken, I just thought he’d got done for the actual involvement in picking up the trailer, but now you come to say I do recall reading about his non conducive lifestyle.

Oh btw…Brilliant idea btw about dropping them off In bus shelters, I hadn’t thought of that, but thanks for the patronising anyway :unamused:
I was thinking from a ruthless criminals pov trying to avoid a life sentence,.so any solution would be possible…maybe a ■■■■ big hole in a landfill.site?
You sound mildly ‘offended’ by my suggestion of leniency :neutral_face: …yep, it was horrible and all the rest of it, but those people knew (or should have) that anything involving large sums of money given to professional hard line criminals is always going to carry risks, by it’s very nature.

To offend you maybe even more…it will maybe make others think twice about entering our country illegally, purely for economic purposes, after passing through numerous others…but there you go, fill yer boots with offence. :wink:

Like Robroy I thought it was strange ringing 999. The article says he rang/text his boss’s before ringing 999. I would have thought they would know the right landfill or any other way of hiding the evidence as with no bodies who would know about them?. The relatives wouldn’t know the exact time/date there loved ones would cross to the UK or when they would get to the safe house etc. Obviously the gamble is if/when caught somehow the sentences would be longer but he lost his earnings and a few years by whistle blowing anyway.

mrginge:
Like Robroy I thought it was strange ringing 999. The article says he rang/text his boss’s before ringing 999. I would have thought they would know the right landfill or any other way of hiding the evidence as with no bodies who would know about them?. The relatives wouldn’t know the exact time/date there loved ones would cross to the UK or when they would get to the safe house etc. Obviously the gamble is if/when caught somehow the sentences would be longer but he lost his earnings and a few years by whistle blowing anyway.

Not just me then.
When you’re in dodgy dealings as deep as those guys were, I would have thought it would be a non brainer, hide the evidence, keep schtum, and move on to the next deal.

(Btw…Just to reiterate before the snowflakes start stuttering, :unamused: … I know it ain’t acceptable, but these things go on in the world.)

House of Cards or Giant Jenga.

Reliant on every one

robroy:
Does anybody else think that 13 yrs for that Mo character for picking the trailer up was a bit harsh?

No, bit lenient in my opinion

Had a serious hunch from 1st pic of Scania on Bulgo plates.
Then when was informed by a colleague who lived in same village as Mo fella the size of house the two cars etc knew proof positive involved.

Posted on various sites ref the “Mo is innocent” movement they were ALL gonna end up with egg on faces as he WILL plead@ 1st hearing@ court.

Don’t know how the others were “cajoled” into taking their cases to a contest through the court’s!!! :confused:

Not really read or heard full details into how the higher ups in the chain were caught - assuming it was Robinson who grassed them up in return for a shorter sentence?

If so and he had any sense he would have kept his mouth shut from the off when caught and let the authorities offer him some sort of witness protection deal in return for the info. I know he got a reduced sentence but surely they were more interested in the top of the chain rather than him at the bottom. Also for his own safety because I would imagine he has a giant bullseye on his back for being a grass.

For the record I also am not condoning any of this and think he is exactly where he deserves to be as he knew exactly what he was doing and was involved in.

mrginge:

In a carefully planned operation you would think there would be some type of contingency plan in place to deal with this scenario. Northern Ireland is a largely rural country and it would not be difficult to “lose” 39 bodies on an isolated farm somewhere in the back of beyond. Although Robinson opening the trailer doors was captured on CCTV, it is highly unlikely that this footage would ever have been viewed had it been an otherwise uneventful night on the industrial estate.

They do seem to be less of a highly organised gang than a bunch of dim-witted Paddies. Hughes sending the following Snapchat message, not realising that it was there for all to see for ever more was sheer stupidity.

tmcassett:
Not really read or heard full details into how the higher ups in the chain were caught - assuming it was Robinson who grassed them up in return for a shorter sentence?

If so and he had any sense he would have kept his mouth shut from the off when caught and let the authorities offer him some sort of witness protection deal in return for the info. I know he got a reduced sentence but surely they were more interested in the top of the chain rather than him at the bottom. Also for his own safety because I would imagine he has a giant bullseye on his back for being a grass.

For the record I also am not condoning any of this and think he is exactly where he deserves to be as he knew exactly what he was doing and was involved in.

Mo didn’t need to grass them up. By the time they had quickly traced the person who hired the trailer and was the actual owner of his Scania (Ronan Hughes) and then looked at Hughes’ phone records, raided his house for his computers, and tracked the trailer, it was obvious. Ronan H got 30 years, reduced to 20 because he pled guilty.

The other driver, the one that dropped the trailer at Zeebrugge, got 18 years but he pled not guilty. He was being forced to do the job by Hughes after overturning a trailer while drunk driving in Germany.

Mo didn’t get 13 years for picking up a trailer, he got 13 years for being part of a plan to make money from putting human beings into airtight fridge trailers for over 12 hours, likely to kill them. And being part of a network making money from bringing in illegal immigrants.