Ernest Thorpe Transport Sheffield

Anyone out there have information and photos etc regarding this old but well maintained fleet ,? what made them choose D A F;s to replace the Seedon/Atkinsons they used to operate etc etc ? .

shugg:
what made them choose D A F;s to replace the Seedon/Atkinsons they used to operate etc etc ? .

british telecom sold a load of cheap ones and they bought em basically, i think they are feeling the pinch as well, as there drivers were all put on limited hours last year {50 iirc}

I remember one of their drivers trying to run me off the road on the M1 when I was driving for Pickfords about 28 years ago. I had held him up whilst I was overtaking at 60 mph in the middle lane. Tw&T - I’ll never forget it!

I saw on on the M6 round Brum this week little Daf nice paint pulling an old spread tandem that must have been late 70’s, I must say though it looked well, very well & was immaculately roped & sheeted, fair play to the driver plenty of pride in his job…

Never liked getting behind one heading over Woodhead though, always nailed over & back.

Are they still going?

Because the Seddons were [zb] hee hes

shugg:
Anyone out there have information and photos etc regarding this old but well maintained fleet ,? what made them choose D A F;s to replace the Seedon/Atkinsons they used to operate etc etc ? .

coiler:
Are they still going?

saw one in scunny on wednesday

coiler:
Are they still going?

yep still running over 40 dafs, they do similar work to us on the steel job for TATA steels always look tidy tho for old tackle.

Looking at that other thread if they’re working for Tata steel they’ll be staying old as well…

One thing with them I’ve always noticed is they never seem to lift the middle axle on their units, even when empty. Any idea why? Is it an odd variant of DAF where the axle doesn’t actually lift?

Paul

fly sheet:
Looking at that other thread if they’re working for Tata steel they’ll be staying old as well…

which threads that■■?

lgamston:

fly sheet:

which threads that■■?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=79570

Denis F:

lgamston:

fly sheet:

which threads that■■?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=79570

yeh just read it thanks.

repton:
One thing with them I’ve always noticed is they never seem to lift the middle axle on their units, even when empty. Any idea why? Is it an odd variant of DAF where the axle doesn’t actually lift?

Paul

I would imagine the reason they never lift the middle axle is at the age most of them are, a lift axle would be extra.
The first DAF I bought was a s plate xf 95 and I didn’t realise until it was delivered that it was not standard.
It was a costly mistake as I had one retrofitted.
It was pretty well undrivable in the wet whilst empty and it was only a 430.

They’ll be the old twin steers I’d imagine, the old midlift things a bit more recent is’nt it or retro fit■■?

fly sheet:
They’ll be the old twin steers I’d imagine, the old midlift things a bit more recent is’nt it or retro fit■■?

thats right they are, i used to drive an old daf 2800 and it was ,well…interesting to say the least in the wet

Some pictures of their trucks here.

http://stephenpotter.smugmug.com/Road-Haulage/Ernest-Thorpe-Transport-Ltd/19547394_x8Jtmc#!i=1532069679&k=TNLg9GX

heard off one of there drivers other day there halfing there fleet and struggling at the minute could explain why theres some of there lorrys/trailers for sale on the internet.
trucks.autotrader.co.uk/used-tru … config/6x2

lgamston:
heard off one of there drivers other day there halfing there fleet and struggling at the minute could explain why theres some of there lorrys/trailers for sale on the internet.
trucks.autotrader.co.uk/used-tru … config/6x2

Bloody hell, I wouldn’t consider £750 for that.