ERF LV

Back on the road after a long rest rotting away

tractordriver:
Back on the road after a long rest rotting away

looks great more pics please, fredm

Looks a top job, but please can we see some more piccys!

hey, nice LV,but why is the exhaust at the front,or was it for ADR.
Here on the continent long before the ADR regulations we had them for gastankers.

Bye Eric,

Looks a super job, tractordriver. Get the camera out again, please.
Tiptop, front-mounted silencers were, I believe, optional on early LVs but standard here in UK on later ones. 3300john will probably tell us if I’ve got that wrong, but I’ve driven an 8-wheeler and an artic with front-mounted silencers, both G-reg. My last LV was J-reg (1971), also with front-mounted pipe, as were our other four of the same vintage.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Looks a super job, tractordriver. Get the camera out again, please.
Tiptop, front-mounted silencers were, I believe, optional on early LVs but standard here in UK on later ones. 3300john will probably tell us if I’ve got that wrong, but I’ve driven an 8-wheeler and an artic with front-mounted silencers, both G-reg. My last LV was J-reg (1971), also with front-mounted pipe, as were our other four of the same vintage.

Hiya…yes i would think 99% of silencers was across the front…its with sweet sounding engines that was so quiet you could
look for smoke to see if the engine was running or not…er hum… heres a good one the Aluminum tail pipes was made
from flat sheet, I would cut roll and Gas weld them, then hammer them round. i think their was 6 different diameters on
various models. I would make 50 tail pipes in a week.formed aly wasn’t around in the right diameter. looking back god knows why
they didn’t change the outlet pipe on the silencer to suit the tail pipe… Ho well its 45 years ago now why worry.
the restoration is a very nice job someone has spent alot of time doing that…
John

Hi, John. At least the ally tailpipes didn’t rust! It was just a matter of re-shaping with the Birmingham screwdriver if anyone happened to clobber one.

Imgur

load of photos on link above - sorry about the tractors :smiley:

I think i has sussed out how to post photos so here goes

01.jpg
as found

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

A very nice restoration job Sir ! So what is the exact spec, 180 LXB/DB6spd/Eaton axle ? Cheers Bewick.

150 LXB - eaton axil yes 6 speed DB yes

In other words, Bomb Proof!!! :smiley:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
In other words, Bomb Proof!!! :smiley:

well it goes like whats it called off a shovel :laughing:

Try putting twenty tons behind it- you’ll notice a difference! :wink:
Are you going to use it to haul a tractor or three around?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Try putting twenty tons behind it- you’ll notice a difference! :wink:
Are you going to use it to haul a tractor or three around?

You dont have to tell me that I have driven them in anger.
she is in retirement now so will never cary a load again. run light run fast :open_mouth:
I will put a drop plate on her to tow a caravan and may be a flat with a tractor on it :confused:
she is fun to drive power steering helps and I had no problems reverting to a crash box.
I think once you have driven the old way it stays with you.
Fancy a go ?

Yes please, matey. It would be good to remember the bad old days! However, I have to ask, could I cope with power steering? :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Yes please, matey. It would be good to remember the bad old days! However, I have to ask, could I cope with power steering? :wink:

I know it makes you soft but we are getting older - so what the hell :confused:

An image from the long distant past has just entered what passes for a brain-
I can remember pressing on through central London early mornings with an 8-wheeler Atki bulk tipper. No power steering so I stood up heaving the wheel round rather than lose hard-won momentum! Didn’t do much for tyre wear, though. :wink:

LV is only a kabin type , its a 64G or mobile road block/ go slow , bomb proof cos it does only four revs per day , fire brigade calls when you start it from cold ? runs back some times ? uses as much oil as diesel ? takes i week to get to top gear ? ya its a Gardner :wink: