ERF 'European' (1975)

my own PKC model .

117372107_4676095182416488_4938052291905423873_o.jpg

wideboybob:
a mellor bros photo

I love that close-up! We have the whole photo on this thread but not the clarity of that close-up. Thank you! :sunglasses:

wideboybob:
my own PKC model .

Glad you were able to build your Richard Read PKC kit. And I notice you’ve placed the TIR plate in the correct place for that unit in its later years! :sunglasses:

ERF-NGC-European:

wideboybob:
my own PKC model .

Glad you were able to build your Richard Read PKC kit. And I notice you’ve placed the TIR plate in the correct place for that unit in its later years! :sunglasses:

as i live just a few miles from the yard, plus have been in the yard as a youngster ,i had plenty of chances to ride in them as well! that 5 mw was recabbed with a B series cab as was one 7 mw,

wideboybob:

ERF-NGC-European:

wideboybob:
my own PKC model .

as i live just a few miles from the yard, plus have been in the yard as a youngster ,i had plenty of chances to ride in them as well! that 5 mw was recabbed with a B series cab as was one 7 mw,

Experiences to cherish! I understand those conversions were made in the RR workshops. :sunglasses: The re-cabbed NGC was converted to RHD too! (one on the right)

Here’s a teaser for anyone in the know! This picture appears on the VIJORE thread and is apparently one of the VIJORE tilts. The unit appears to have hub-reduction D85s which might narrow it down to one of the six NGCs the group ran. But they also ran A-series ERFs with what look to be D85s. I can’t see any other identifier that would give us a definitive answer. However, anyone who knows about the context of that photo may know the exact vehicle! Over to you then :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:
There’s quite a lot of useful ■■■■■■■ archive on this thread so I thought it might be useful to re-post this brochure that DEANB put on the Paul Gee thread yesterday. It contains references to ■■■■■■■ engines used in ERF NGCs so is very relevant :wink:

That did not go very well Ro… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: If you want to delete it i will pop it on tomorrow.

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:
There’s quite a lot of useful ■■■■■■■ archive on this thread so I thought it might be useful to re-post this brochure that DEANB put on the Paul Gee thread yesterday. It contains references to ■■■■■■■ engines used in ERF NGCs so is very relevant :wink:

That did not go very well Ro… :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: If you want to delete it i will pop it on tomorrow.

Thanks Dean: you’re a star! :laughing:

■■■■■■■ Engine brochure.

Click on pages twice to read.

Still trying to work out what VIJORE group trailers the NGC would have pulled in the '70s. I’ve dealt with tilts above. It appears that Richard Read operated at least two signwritten fridge trailers and one unsignwritten fridge. Were there more?

This one, fleet No. RR 109 :

OIvP.jpg

and this one, fleet No. RR 20 :

And then this one (two pics prob of the same trailer, which appears to be a tandem spready):

pic by David Pilcher KRH 251P.jpg

Vijore ERF.

Thanks Dean! :sunglasses:

According to Paul Heaton’s book, Road Transport - The Read Story, the VIJORE group used these 'fridges on the Middle-East run (there’s even a pic of their 5MW-cabbed ERF heading up trailer RR 20).

It also mentions that Read only remained in the VIJORE consortium for a couple of years, after which they pulled out mainly because they didn’t like the move to increasing use of groupage for backloads. As we know, Vick and Jones continued for several years. I wonder if this explains the absence of signwritten Read tilts on the job.

To be sure, VIJORE had an interesting assortment of units on Middle-East work including the six ERF NGCs, two or three 5MW-cabbed ERFs, at least two sleeper-cabbed A-series ERFs, an assortment of LHD & RHD B-series ERFs, a Merc LPS, a Ford Transcon and a day-cabbed Seddon. Quite impressive really!

I’m sure I’ve seen a picture of a VIJORE S83 Foden somewhere.

Efften:
I’m sure I’ve seen a picture of a VIJORE S83 Foden somewhere.

You are probably thinking of one of Tony Jones’s Fodens. He was the third member of the Read / Vick / Jones consortium that made up VIJORE. If one of his Fodens ever pulled a VIJORE group trailer I’d love to see the picture! Meanwhile, here’s a pic of one of his RHD Foden Fleetmasters. You’ll notice that his trailers matched the Vick / Read blue up / red down livery.

Ro

A01955.JPG

He also appears to have run this LHD Foden Haulmaster. I wonder if that’s the one you saw on VIJORE work…

Not my picture obviously but apparently did multiple trips to Baghdad.

Efften:
Not my picture obviously but apparently did multiple trips to Baghdad.

You’re a star! The Baghdad contract was what brought the VIJORE group together in the first place. I knew that Tony Jones contributed some ERFs in the red-white-blue VIJORE colours but I didn’t realise he sent his other units down there too. It would be interesting to find pics of them pulling Eric Vick or VIJORE liveried tilts.

Cheers! :sunglasses:

Ro

EDIT to add: I notice it’s a different Foden from the other two pics I posted; and it’s another Haulmaster. Judging from the mirror set-up it looks to be RHD with a Rolls engine. Significantly, I notice that it has VIJORE written to the headboard so it’s clearly on the Baghdad work as you suggest. The Volvo is obviously on the same work. The tilts look like rental ones judging from the colour of the sideboards.

And here’s a DAF of his. As it has a roof-mounted air-con it’s likely that went down the M/E trail too: you can just pick out the word VIJORE on the headboard!

L0571p.JPG

The thick plottens!! :laughing:

It always pays to have a good look at what’s in the background of these Middle-East scenes. I spy with my little eye a Richard Read A-series with a rental tilt in the background!