ERF 'European' (1975)

ERF-NGC-European:

coomsey:
Probably seen her before but nothing better to do :stuck_out_tongue: Cheers coomsey

Better to risk success than to guard against failure, I say! :smiley:

Here I go again,it would help immensely if I knew one from the other :unamused:

coomsey:

ERF-NGC-European:

coomsey:
Probably seen her before but nothing better to do :stuck_out_tongue: Cheers coomsey

Better to risk success than to guard against failure, I say! :smiley:

Here I go again,it would help immensely if I knew one from the other :unamused:

No probs Coomsey! The pic you posted shows an excellent example of an ERF with the Motor Panels 5MW cab. These are now generally to be found on the RHD & LHD 5MW cab ERFs threads. This thread tends nowadays to centre on the ERF NGC ‘European’ with the squarer and much more sophisticated long-haul Motor Panels 7MW cabs. :wink:

Good morning! Here’s a promo pic of one of PKC’s kit-built 1:50 scale NGCs in Richard Read livery.

Vijore tilt Readc 11.jpg

I don’t know how anyone else acquiring one of these kits has got on, but sourcing an authentic trailer for one of those appears to be more challenging that one might imagine. PKC has wisely gone for a replica of one of Read’s own flatbed trailers, pictures of which matched with NGCs are fairly common.

OtIP.jpg

Finding a suitable tilt is interesting to say the least. As Read was part of the VIJORE group, the Richard Read / Tony Jones / Eric Vick fleet of six NGCs in those three respective liveries were interchangeable and took which ever trailer traffic management allocated to the units, as in the example below, which shows a Richard Read unit with a Vick tilt taken in France.

Scan_20220131.jpg

I don’t know how many VIJORE tilts there were – I can identify no more than two. These conformed to the Read and Vick colour scheme of blue canopy and red chassis, wheels and tanks. VIJORE tilts had blue dropside boards too, whereas Vick’s boards were variously red, blue or silver. Likewise, Vick’s pillars and raves could be red or blue. See pics below.

eric vick ssssssssss.JPG

Vijore tilt Readc 11.jpg

CONTINUED BELOW:

CONTINUED:

The puzzling part is that having scoured internet, books and my archives for period ‘70s Richard Read units pulling tilts, I can’t find any! I can find plenty pulling rental tilts; and Eric Vick and Vijore tilts but none in Richard Read livery. I can find them pulling Richard Read fridges; and of course domestic Richard Read flats and bulkers. But no 12m tilts in Richard Read livery. The only two I can find – and they both saw Middle-East service – were two low-height tilts with plain canopies bearing Read trailer numbers on the headboard.

7MW close up 31.jpg

The most obvious place to start with 1:50 scale tilts to match the PKC model is WSI trailers, which unlike Tekno or Corgi tilts can easily be dismantled and used as ‘swap-its’. In this way, I have put together a reasonably convincing but unsignwritten Eric Vick tilt as a possible contender.

Another useful contender is a Code 3 tilt actually in VIJORE livery. It has been very well prepared, in in authentic livery and is even ‘weathered’; but alas it’s a Corgi tilt and Corgi tilts are not nearly as good as Tekno and WSI examples.

Another possibility could be a Ferrymasters (before P&O Ferrymasters) tilt because the VIJORE group sent those down the TIR-trail too. Though getting hold of a Tekno example might prove difficult now.

The other option is the rental trailers. The VIJORE operation used rental tilts more than anything if the photo evidence is anything to go by. It has always surprised me that the model manufacturers haven’t made far more use of the better-known trailer rental liveries as they can prove most useful in providing a neutral but authentic trailer for certain units. Two different examples below.

NFH 120P Vijore old TIR.jpg

Still makes you wonder if there were any RR tilts though!

that one on the right looks suspiciously like my old xyd998n , we bought in that colour scheme , i know it did italian work .
tony

7MW close up 31.jpg

tonyj105:
that one on the right looks suspiciously like my old xyd998n , we bought in that colour scheme , i know it did italian work .
tony

As you will know, that 5MW-cabbed ERF is in the VIJORE livery that Tony Jones’s wagons used for the Baghdad etc work. Do you remember any Read signwritten tilts of that era?

I bought a 1:50 PKC kit at Gaydon a couple-and-a-half years ago and commissioned Paul May to build it for me. It has been a long time coming but worth the wait, as he has finished it to a very high standard and ‘weathered’ it beautifully. It actually looks rather good with the fridge trailer (approximately like the one it pulled in real life!). :sunglasses:

ERF-NGC-European:
I bought a 1:50 PKC kit at Gaydon a couple-and-a-half years ago and commissioned Paul May to build it for me. It has been a long time coming but worth the wait, as he has finished it to a very high standard and ‘weathered’ it beautifully. It actually looks rather good with the fridge trailer (approximately like the one it pulled in real life!). :sunglasses:

Finally turned up then ! :unamused: Worth the wait though,looks spot on Ro. :wink:

paulggerf1.jpg

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Finally turned up then ! :unamused: Worth the wait though,looks spot on Ro. :wink:

Yes indeed! And there are lots of little extra touches like cab curtains, & an atlas and sleeping bag in the cab. It came a couple of days after my 70th b’day so very timely too :laughing: . Here’s another like trailer for it:

That model looks fantastic, the weathering really makes it extra special.

Belated happy birthday too.

Steve

vwvanman0:
That model looks fantastic, the weathering really makes it extra special.

Belated happy birthday too.

Steve

Cheers mate! :smiley:

I’ve swapped a few trailer parts round to produce this better match for the NGC:

But keep your eyes peeled for any picture evidence that Richard Read had any 12m tilts signwritten in their own livery. There are none on these thread to date (that I can find) and it may well be that they didn’t have any! :open_mouth:

A pair of summat or the other Ro, but def ERF. NMP off FB

coomsey:
A pair of summat or the other Ro, but def ERF. NMP off FB

Those are either New Zealand or Australian 3MW or 5MW-cabbed ERFs for the RHD 5MW thread :wink:

Meanwhile, I’ve tinkered further and come up with an enhanced code 3 Corgi VIJORE trailer and an unsignwritten WSI VIJORE tilt to go with the ERFs.

tonyj105:
tony

Tony, I believe that was the only 5MW-cabbed ERF in VIJORE colours. Here’s another picture of it (peeping from behind the Atki)!

CNV00111.JPG

ERF-NGC-European:

tonyj105:
tony

Tony, I believe that was the only 5MW-cabbed ERF in VIJORE colours. Here’s another picture of it (peeping from behind the Atki)!

it was recabed with a B series cab if i remember correctly.

a mellor bros photo

another mellor bros photo

CNV00023.JPG