ERF 'European' (1975)

ERF-Continental:
Some pages ago the Fuller-Eaton-transmissions were highlighted and
I consider attached table (with old and new type-numbers) handy for
future references.

Thank you for posting. I find it interesting that under the old numbers column, the RT 9508 is listed. Our ERF archivist reported that an RT 9508A was the original gearbox listed on the build-card for the Eyckmans unit (ie before it was replaced by a 13-sp box). I wasn’t sure at the time if this was a typo which should have read 9509A, but in Book 2 I left it open to debate, but clearly the build-card was correct! Mysteries abound when it comes to the NGC, for sure! Robert

Found this pic last on the net,that has probably been on before and i know is in your book. However i notice
that the crane has been moved forward on the chassis to behind the cab in the next 2 pics. I wondered what
the piece of machinery did that is behind the cab in the first pic ? anyone know ■■

newerf97 rene postma.jpg

robert1952:

ERF-Continental:
future references.

Thank you for posting. I find it interesting that under the old numbers column, the RT 9508 is listed. Our ERF archivist reported that an RT 9508A was the original gearbox listed on the build-card for the Eyckmans unit (ie before it was replaced by a 13-sp box). I wasn’t sure at the time if this was a typo which should have read 9509A, but in Book 2 I left it open to debate, but clearly the build-card was correct! Mysteries abound when it comes to the NGC, for sure! Robert

Hey, would they have changed the gearbox complete or only added an other back of the box with a splitter ■■?
Which was very much done in that time, even you can/could get hybrid cog wheels to combine the 95■■ en 116■■ boxs.
So you make easily out a RT/RTO 9509A/C an RTO/RTOO 9513A/C with the back of an 116■■

Eric,

DEANB:
Found this pic last on the net,that has probably been on before and i know is in your book. However i notice
that the crane has been moved forward on the chassis to behind the cab in the next 2 pics. I wondered what
the piece of machinery did that is behind the cab in the first pic ? anyone know ■■

It looks to me as if the Fassi crane is parked in the same position in both photos. Isn’t the machine forward of the crane the engine that drives it? Robert

tiptop495:

robert1952:

ERF-Continental:
future references.

Hey, would they have changed the gearbox complete or only added an other back of the box with a splitter ■■?
Which was very much done in that time, even you can/could get hybrid cog wheels to combine the 95■■ en 116■■ boxs.
So you make easily out a RT/RTO 9509A/C an RTO/RTOO 9513A/C with the back of an 116■■

Eric,

The replacement was an RTO 9313, Eric, and it cost him 15,000 BF in 1974 so that may give you clue as to whether it was an add-on or a full replacement! Robert

The top picture of the Eyckmans unit , certainly gives the impression of having a longer wheelbase, but may well be an illusion due to angle of other photos s .

There also appears to be a log grab sitting in front of crane in top photo.

Can’t understand why that would be there :open_mouth: :wink: :wink:

Casual Observer:
The top picture of the Eyckmans unit , certainly gives the impression of having a longer wheelbase, but may well be an illusion due to angle of other photos s .

There also appears to be a log grab sitting in front of crane in top photo.

Can’t understand why that would be there :open_mouth: :wink: :wink:

You are right: long wheelbase. It still has (Corbishley’s ballasted tractor on the truck show circuit). So you reckon it’s a log grab at the front. Not having done timber work, I’m not sure what a log-grab does (that the crane doesn’t already do). Can you expand a little? Cheers, Robert

An attachment for the crane , that grips the log , although the one in photo of ERF has a frame above it , :wink:

Not so much a frame , but a longer attachment point with swivel .

Casual Observer:

An attachment for the crane , that grips the log , although the one in photo of ERF has a frame above it , :wink:

Not so much a frame , but a longer attachment point with swivel .

Ah! Yes, I see what you mean. And yes, it does look like a parked log grab at the front. Thanks for that! Robert

By the way on the three-axled NGC:

commonly the tandem-axle was called Hendrickson ‘but’ in fact Hendrickson
was the producer of the axle-suspension-system rather than the producer of
the axle itself. Attached picture shows an example of the mariage between
Eaton and Hendrickson. As also Rockwell was a major player and supplier to
White (from which the tandem was taken to meet Eyckmans’ requirements),
the NGC-tandem could also have been a Rockwell-Hendrickson.

ERF-Continental:
By the way on the three-axled NGC:

commonly the tandem-axle was called Hendrickson ‘but’ in fact Hendrickson
was the producer of the axle-suspension-system rather than the producer of
the axle itself. Attached picture shows an example of the mariage between
Eaton and Hendrickson. As also Rockwell was a major player and supplier to
White (from which the tandem was taken to meet Eyckmans’ requirements),
the NGC-tandem could also have been a Rockwell-Hendrickson.

This is a good point. ERF fan, Neil Johnston, asked me about this back in summer at Kelsey while we were sipping tea in garden chairs behind KCH 95N. We were discussing the fact that Hendrickson built axle-suspension systems rather than whole axles and I said I’d try to find out who made KCH’s drive axles. It completely slipped my mind since; so thank you for that info, A-J. Robert

robert1952:

tiptop495:

robert1952:

ERF-Continental:
future references.

Eric,

The replacement was an RTO 9313, Eric, and it cost him 15,000 BF in 1974 so that may give you clue as to whether it was an add-on or a full replacement! Robert

Hey Thanks Robert, today I’m happy to find an old one, good or bad, for that price, they come so scarce today. :smiley:

Eric,

When the three-axle-NGC shouldn’t be furnished with the Eaton-Hendrickson
then possibly (I myself can and will not judge by a picture) the Rockwell as
per attachment might be applied, though not stating Hendrickson in words.

My estimation is that CDB applied Eaton-Hendrickson.

ERF-Continental:
When the three-axle-NGC shouldn’t be furnished with the Eaton-Hendrickson
then possibly (I myself can and will not judge by a picture) the Rockwell as
per attachment might be applied, though not stating Hendrickson in words.

My estimation is that CDB applied Eaton-Hendrickson.

Ah! So we’re none the wiser then. At least we’ve got it down to a choice of two drive axles. I’ve checked Wobbe’s article but he only mentions Hendrickson. I wonder if Rene knows, as he owned it for a while… Robert

Don’t expect (too) much from the CDB-archives…it’s quite a jumble of many
invoices/cards and as CDB served many disciplines (on- and off-highway) with
ERF, White, Autocar and Diamond Reo, many main customers wanted custom-
solutions for their own specific fleet and applications. The way things were so
many times registered in a rush don’t indicate to be true/false at the end.

Please consider CDB as a very active assembler/supplier of commercial vehicles in the specific sense of customer-oriented-solutions hence their extensive sales in both Western Europe as well as the Middle East. Former director Herman Meijers and later (grandson of the founder) Jean-Gilbert Denonville did extensive export-business for which a fine-tuned logistics in terms of supply was an essential requirement. At the end of the day it didn’t matter what engine (it should be ■■■■■■■■ or whatever component was fitted/assembled to available (ex-CKD-kits) chassis, as customers did
MATTER and a lot of administration towards M-E had to be prepared and (mind letters of credit) ought to be EXACTLY to have shipments go and flow!

In brief, there was a vast/large stock of whatever you could imagine, all sorts of (■■■■■■■■ engines, (Fuller/Eaton/Spicer/Clark) transmissions, (Kirkstall, Eaton, Hendrickson, Rockwell) axles and a variety of parts to fine-tune customers’ requirements. Bear in mind that the majority of customers, e.g. Sogetra, Cockerill were served as kings as every customer should be threated!

CDB had branch-offices in France, Quatar, Oman and Saudi Arabia run by keen representatives.

Hendrickson actually does build its own axles as well as suspension systems. The questions are: when did they start building their own axles? Were they building them when the White rear-end was supplied to Eyckmans for its NGC? Robert

O a second thought and some archive-checks it is more likely that the three-axled NGC
had a Rockwell SLDD- or SUDD-tandem-axle with a Hendrickson RT340 suspension. That
type had been assembled on both White- and Autocar-chassis in quite some quantities.

Well, the invoice of both the component and labour, when in hands of somebody, would
give better evidence to all.

ERF-Continental:
O a second thought and some archive-checks it is more likely that the three-axled NGC
had a Rockwell SLDD- or SUDD-tandem-axle with a Hendrickson RT340 suspension. That
type had been assembled on both White- and Autocar-chassis in quite some quantities.

Well, the invoice of both the component and labour, when in hands of somebody, would
give better evidence to all.

Yes, indeed: a sales document, invoice or receipt would show us (hopefully) exactly what was fitted. It would have been a ‘one-off’ anyway, especially as the other retro-converted 6x4s had a Volvo drive bogie (Cauvas) and what looks like a Kirkstall bogie (Shamara) if the hubs are anything to go by. Robert

Just got sent a batch of old pic’s. Sorry if this has been posted before, couldn’t go through 115 pages, I’ll take it off if it has…