ERF 'European' (1975)

DEANB:
This original picture was sent to me today showing Gruwez ERF. The correc reg is BER329 not BFN379.

Fantastic! I’m glad that we’ve now got a registration number for this unit. Are you able to give a little more clue as to the source and authenticity of this info? Robert

colinwallace1:

robert1952:

DEANB:
Looks like it has just been freshly sprayed here after being bought from Beresford/Albert Dale.
Intresting sign writing along the front grill ! Does anyone know which garage this is ? Looks like a
ERF one in Leicestershire ■■

The pic is on page 9 of Book 1. It was bought from Beech’s Garage in Stoke but as you say, the location looks like a Leics ERF one. Robert

This would be taken at Cossington commercials in Leicestershire.(could have been in for 2yr tacho check). Only about 4 miles from John’s yard.
This would have been its second respray since John owned GEH. The first was a lighter blue.
I vaguely remember seeing 7mw cabs lined up behind the garage which could be seen through the trees as you passed Cossington commercials.
Perhaps these were the source for some of the conversions. Colin.

That makes sense, thank you, Colin! It was Cossington Commerials who converted the RHD ERF, UGE 852R. Interesting that GEH was resprayed. I must look through my pics to spot the difference! Robert

colinwallace1:

robert1952:

DEANB:
Looks like it has just been freshly sprayed here after being bought from Beresford/Albert Dale.
Intresting sign writing along the front grill ! Does anyone know which garage this is ? Looks like a

The pic is on page 9 of Book 1. It was bought from Beech’s Garage in Stoke but as you say, the location looks like a Leics ERF one. Robert

This would be taken at Cossington commercials in Leicestershire.(could have been in for 2yr tacho check). Only about 4 miles from John’s yard.
This would have been its second respray since John owned GEH. The first was a lighter blue.
I vaguely remember seeing 7mw cabs lined up behind the garage which could be seen through the trees as you passed Cossington commercials.

Colin, Thanks looks very tidy. I like the sign writing on the front.
“335 ■■■■ - ALONG - BABY POWERED”

DEANB:
This original picture was sent to me today showing Gruwez ERF. The correc reg is BER329 not BFN379.

Hey, in the old yard of Gruwez, picture was made by a colleague of me.
If the numberplates are correct neww, this means the they were new in 1974, or got new ones after a company name change.

Eric,

robert1952:

DEANB:

Fantastic! I’m glad that we’ve now got a registration number for this unit. Are you able to give a little more clue as to the source and authenticity of this info? Robert

Yes 100 % chap he took the photo.Will send you a email.

Another one of Simmons.

DEANB:

robert1952:

DEANB:

Yes 100 % chap he took the photo.Will send you a email.

Another one of Simmons.

That’s a fine image - not seen that one before! :smiley: Robert

tiptop495:

DEANB:

Hey, in the old yard of Gruwez, picture was made by a colleague of me.
If the numberplates are correct neww, this means the they were new in 1974, or got new ones after a company name change.

Eric,

Hey Eric,

That’s correct and Rik’s father BERtrand was very pleased with the registrations BER… as they
reflect a bit of his name. There was another BER-registration BER.248 for their first Autocar.

Goed weekend,

A-J

Gruwez were very loyal towards CDB as the majority of their fleet (1970-1980) consisted
of ERF (NGC and B), Autocar and White. Nowadays not existing anymore and the company
was sold to Van Egdom-Mariën from Heist o/d Berg (near Lier/Antwerp). Gruwez had quite
a reputation (national and international) for their construction-transports and equipment.

This must have been one of PDF 444R’s stablemates at Shamara!

DSC00198.jpg

And this Samson ‘pusher’ is at the rear of the Pirelli trailer that was pulled by the ERF after it had grown an extra axle and acquired a Q-plate to go with it! Robert

DEANB:

colinwallace1:

robert1952:

DEANB:

Colin, Thanks looks very tidy. I like the sign writing on the front.
“335 ■■■■ - ALONG - BABY POWERED”

Your welcome Dean. Similar text on Johns KW. Colin

Just for the archives…CDB offered already an Hendrickson-tag-option in 1949-1950
as per attached picture for a White-tractor (3000-series) what could have been an in-
between-solution or at least a discussion for both the Simmons- and Eyckmans-tractors.

HST4-White-3000-series-Hendrickson-tag-tandem-1949.JPG

It is testimony to the Hendrickson bogie that the Eyckmans unit has survived to this day. Yet during the period when that was fitted, ERF moved from using Kirkstall axles to Rockwell as standard. Robert

Some pages ago the Fuller-Eaton-transmissions were highlighted and
I consider attached table (with old and new type-numbers) handy for
future references.

newerf578.jpg

colinwallace1:
Your welcome Dean. Similar text on Johns KW. Colin

Good sign writing ! Heres a few more ,not sure if they have already been posted. The black and white one
was in a REVS magazine.

Now i bet you even Robert have not got a sign like this at the front door,this fella is dedicated !!

DEANB:
Good sign writing ! Heres a few more ,not sure if they have already been posted. The black and white one
was in a REVS magazine.

Now i bet you even Robert have not got a sign like this at the front door,this fella is dedicated !!

Yep! That’s dedication :laughing: :sunglasses: ! Any idea which issue of REVS the b&w picture came from, Dean? I haven’t seen that one. Robert

robert1952:

DEANB:
was in a REVS magazine.

Yep! That’s dedication :laughing: :sunglasses: ! Any idea which issue of REVS the b&w picture came from, Dean? I haven’t seen that one. Robert

Email me your address Rob.

DEANB:

robert1952:

DEANB:
was in a REVS magazine.

That LDD you’ve just posted on the LDD thread featuring Albert Dale is a surprise! Mainly because I’ve still got the article now and I hadn’t noticed it was him. Interestingly, John3300’s comment earlier was broadly accurate; but the result was the same because Albert still switched to MAN because ERF couldn’t meet his needs! Cheers, Robert

robert1952:

DEANB:

robert1952:

DEANB:
was in a REVS magazine.

That LDD you’ve just posted on the LDD thread featuring Albert Dale is a surprise! Mainly because I’ve still got the article now and I hadn’t noticed it was him. Interestingly, John3300’s comment earlier was broadly accurate; but the result was the same because Albert still switched to MAN because ERF couldn’t meet his needs! Cheers, Robert

I see he did the middle east as well not sure which truck though ■■ Dont know if hes still alive but
he would be about 88/89 now !

DEANB:
I see he did the middle east as well not sure which truck though ■■ Dont know if hes still alive but
he would be about 88/89 now !

[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes, he appears to have done some Middle-East with GEH 513N because after John Simmons bought it he wrote a piece about in REVS saying so. I posted the piece on this thread a while back. This article today gives a bit more detail about that episode in Albert’s career! robert

Now we need to scrutinise a few old Brit European pics to see if Albert’s ERF is lurking in any Middle-East scenes. I was looking for Beresford ones. Robert