ERF 'clearing house' thread!

Just found on the net…new chassis for me but very impressive! Wonder what lump was installed

ERF-XYZ-1.jpg

crich-tramway-village.jpg

ERF-Continental:
Just found on the net…new chassis for me but very impressive! Wonder what lump was installed

I would say at that age of vehicle and being a good old ERF It would be a Gardner 150, Of course I may be wrong, :question: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

ERF-Continental:

I would say at that age of vehicle and being a good old ERF It would be a Gardner 150, Of course I may be wrong, :question: , Regards Larry.

Its a late 1958 reg, The 150 Gardner was well into production at this time, But having said this it could have been a up rated 6 LW, From 112 BHP.To 120 BHP. I new a haulier who had a Foden of that year with the uprated Gardner in, Regards Larry.

Buzzer:
Here’s a couple of pictures for you Robert, Buzzer.

Happy days! I’m sure Martin Mears, KenB and Ronhawk remember them well.

Cheers Larry! And as said…an impressive chassis and good it’s been preserved

Interesting high-cabbed C-series with later-added E-series grille, crew-cab and stretched chassis. Robert

I haven’t yet read this whole thread, so apologies if already mentioned, but in September’s Classic Truck there’s a picture of an ERF 7.5 tonner. It’s a 51 plate rebadged MAN. Apparently 50 of these were sold in the UK. I never knew that.

ezydriver:
I haven’t yet read this whole thread, so apologies if already mentioned, but in September’s Classic Truck there’s a picture of an ERF 7.5 tonner. It’s a 51 plate rebadged MAN. Apparently 50 of these were sold in the UK. I never knew that.

Would that have been in the period immediately following ERF’s demise? MAN using up old stock? Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

ezydriver:

Would that have been in the period immediately following ERF’s demise? MAN using up old stock? Robert

It was an MAN L2000 facelift cab with ERF badges on. It was called the ERF ecl. Here’s a pic I found on the web.

erf ecl.JPG

ezydriver:

ERF-NGC-European:

ezydriver:

It was an MAN L2000 facelift cab with ERF badges on. It was called the ERF ecl. Here’s a pic I found on the web.

ERF was taken over by MAN in the year 2000 and they built the ERF-badged ECS, ECM, ECL, ECX and ECT in Nuremburg and later in Salzburg. The ERF element ceased altogether in 2002. Robert

Just joined after viewing for a couple of weeks so if I’m doing anything wrong let me know i won’t be offended I’ve been in transport all my life so I’m thick skinned. Re the ERF ECL we ran one DX51 NSK it was a tidy motor a bit heavy with the boalloy body but allowed us briefly to run a 100% ERF fleet.

Singo55:
Just joined after viewing for a couple of weeks so if I’m doing anything wrong let me know i won’t be offended I’ve been in transport all my life so I’m thick skinned. Re the ERF ECL we ran one DX51 NSK it was a tidy motor a bit heavy with the boalloy body but allowed us briefly to run a 100% ERF fleet.

Welcome aboard mate! Nothing wrong with a 100% ERF fleet in my opinion :wink: . Robert

Cheers,unfortunately it wasn’t for long now we run MANs complete with fault codes say no more.

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . ERF Clearing House Thread! Page 9. ERF KV 66RH Tractive Unit . VALKYRIE . Friday,16th August,2019.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:

ERF-Continental:

Its a late 1958 reg, The 150 Gardner was well into production at this time, But having said this it could have been a up rated 6 LW, From 112 BHP.To 120 BHP. I knew a haulier who had a Foden of that year with the uprated Gardner in, Regards Larry.

Hello Lawrence and ERF-Continental :slight_smile:

The Gardner 6LX 150 Automotive Diesel-Oil Engine was underpowered in virtually all applications,but especially in top weight artics,rigid six
and eight-wheeler lorries and heavy haulage ballast diesel road locomotves! :exclamation: :unamused: The performance regarding Gardner LW - engined motor vehicles was even worse! :exclamation: :unamused:

The U.K.A.E.A = United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority had the good sense to specify Rolls-Royce diesel-oil engines which were far more
powerful than what Gardner engines produced,and were therefore superior to Gardner in regard to power and speed :slight_smile:

Other motor vehicle operators also bought Rolls-Royce C-Range Diesel-Oil - Engined ERF lorries,such as Leonard Green - Parkgate Iron & Steel
Company,Rotherham that were heavy haulage ballast diesel road locomotives. Foden,Thornycroft,Guy,Hayes,Scammell and other marques also
specified Rolls-Royce C-Range diesel engines.

In regard to the Gardner 6LW K-Series 112 BHP Diesel-Oil Engine,produced from 1951 to 1968.This was uprated to 120 BHP and designated
6LW20,and was produced from 1968 to 1974. From 1968 6LW K-Series engines could be uprated to 6LW20 specifications.

ERF KV 66RH,Rolls-Royce C6NFR 200 BHP Diesel-Oil - Engined,6x4 Tractive Unit,Chassis No.8676,YSM 351,Dumfries,11 or 12 1958,CHAPELCROSS FLYER,United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority.Fuller gearbox,Kirkstall B600 Hub Reduction Drive Axles.

VALKYRIE

I’m no great KV fan- think the Mk1 Atki a more handsome beast- but that Nuclear Fuels tractor is lorry ■■■■■■■■■■■. I could stare at it for hours. The talent of the painter shows, even on a photograph. 100% to the people involved with the preservation of it.

VALKYRIE:
TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . ERF Clearing House Thread! Page 9. ERF KV 66RH Tractive Unit . VALKYRIE . Friday,16th August,2019.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:

ERF-Continental:

Its a late 1958 reg, The 150 Gardner was well into production at this time, But having said this it could have been a up rated 6 LW, From 112 BHP.To 120 BHP. I knew a haulier who had a Foden of that year with the uprated Gardner in, Regards Larry.

The Gardner 6LX 150 Automotive Diesel-Oil Engine was underpowered in virtually all applications,but especially in top weight artics,rigid six
and eight-wheeler lorries and heavy haulage ballast diesel road locomotves! :exclamation: :unamused: The performance regarding Gardner LW - engined motor vehicles was even worse! :exclamation: :unamused:

The U.K.A.E.A = United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority had the good sense to specify Rolls-Royce diesel-oil engines which were far more
powerful than what Gardner engines produced,and were therefore superior to Gardner in regard to power and speed :slight_smile:

Other motor vehicle operators also bought Rolls-Royce C-Range Diesel-Oil - Engined ERF lorries,such as Leonard Green - Parkgate Iron & Steel
Company,Rotherham that were heavy haulage ballast diesel road locomotives. Foden,Thornycroft,Guy,Hayes,Scammell and other marques also

In regard to the Gardner 6LW K-Series 112 BHP Diesel-Oil Engine,produced from 1951 to 1968.This was uprated to 120 BHP and designated
6LW20,and was produced from 1968 to 1974. From 1968 6LW K-Series engines could be uprated to 6LW20 specifications.

ERF KV 66RH,Rolls-Royce C6NFR 200 BHP Diesel-Oil - Engined,6x4 Tractive Unit,Chassis No.8676,YSM 351,Dumfries,11 or 12 1958,CHAPELCROSS FLYER,United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority.Fuller gearbox,Kirkstall B600 Hub Reduction Drive Axles.

VALKYRIE

To the right hand side of the front pin and left hand side of the headlight,is a Rolls Royce badge in black.

David

VALKYRIE:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:

ERF-Continental:

VALKYRIE

To Valkyrie:

WondERFul details on this amazing chassis and good it’s been preserved! Is it by any chance known how many chassis were made in more or less this set up,
meaning 6x4 with/without crewcab?

A-J

Stablemates?

ERF-KV-1.jpg

ERF-Continental:
WondERFul details on this amazing chassis and good it’s been preserved! Is it by any chance known how many chassis were made in more or less this set up,
meaning 6x4 with/without crewcab?

A-J

There’s a very similar tractor unit in the commercial vehicle museum in Leyland. I’m sure it’s an lv 6x4 without a crew cab, and painted in a similar shade of green. I remember pouring over it for about an hour. It’s stunning.

With permission from and thanks to Len Rogers.
Oily