ERF 'clearing house' thread!

[zb]
anorak:
I’m sure I’ve seen some other photos of those MP-cabbed normal control tractors somewhere else on the Forum. Where is anyone’s guess. :smiley:

Done a little bit of homework: it seems that these were built specially for the South African Railways in the early '70s. The picture is from Dai Davies’s ERF The Inside Story. Robert

Another unusual model this one destined for Libya…

moomooland:

I reckon that’s the one Zb-anorak remembered seeing on the forum (couple of posts up ^). I believe the Libyan unit was a one-off. Robert

Kenb:

ERF with a Motor Panels 5MW cab. If the badge is anything to go by, it had a Gardner 240 in it. Gammonds also ran a LHD mid-lift B-series ERF unit. Here are a couple more pics of the 5MW. Robert

7450069796_8877995cce_z.jpg
img618.jpg
A03878p.JPG

Kenb:

That one has an MV cab Ken. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

moomooland:

I reckon that’s the one Zb-anorak remembered seeing on the forum (couple of posts up ^). I believe the Libyan unit was a one-off. Robert

No, it was the SA Railways one I remembered. The book cutting you posted gives the lie to the offset-cab theory- it shows thatbthe step panel sits inboard of the wing.

The Libyan tractor looks horrible. I guess it pre-dates the SA one.

The Gammonds tractor looks like it had a list all its life. It has acquired a bit of Scania grille in the last photo.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

moomooland:

No, it was the SA Railways one I remembered. The book cutting you posted gives the lie to the offset-cab theory- it shows thatbthe step panel sits inboard of the wing.

The Libyan tractor looks horrible. I guess it pre-dates the SA one.

The Gammonds tractor looks like it had a list all its life. It has acquired a bit of Scania grille in the last photo.

I suspect the 5MW cab mountings were not that brilliant: a large number of my RHD 5MW pics show a distinct list to port and nearly as many show the cabs leaning back and pointing their headlamps into the firmament! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:
I’m sure I’ve seen some other photos of those MP-cabbed normal control tractors somewhere else on the Forum. Where is anyone’s guess. :smiley:

Done a little bit of homework: it seems that these were built specially for the South African Railways in the early '70s. The picture is from Dai Davies’s ERF The Inside Story. Robert

Slightly different but also for the South African Railways.

erf sa2.PNG

erf sa1.PNG

Saw this gem yesterday still working hard collecting and delivering trailers

Press photo, from ERF Sandbach.

DEANB:

Look at all those oil patches - there’s some stories!!
Ken b

Kenb:

DEANB:

Look at all those oil patches - there’s some stories!!
Ken b

Looks like the same car has parked in a different place every day, with perfectly consistent habits regarding direction.

Here’s a couple of pictures for you Robert, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Here’s a couple of pictures for you Robert, Buzzer.

Ah! Trans Arabia. Probably taken in Jeddah. Robert

A couple more Robert, cheers Buzzer

I must say, back in the day when 38-tonnes came out and everyone started chucking tag-axles on old 4x2s, I always thought the double-wheeled tags looked so much trimmer and better balanced. Just aesthetic, I know; because it meant more expense and more weight. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
I must say, back in the day when 38-tonnes came out and everyone started chucking tag-axles on old 4x2s, I always thought the double-wheeled tags looked so much trimmer and better balanced. Just aesthetic, I know; because it meant more expense and more weight. Robert

That is a smart-looking vehicle indeed, apart from the lift axle, which looks like it’s struggling a bit. Scandinavia had “proper” dead axles, while us, Germany and Italy had odd single-wheel axles here and there. An example is the present day 44-tonner, with the option of a small-wheeled axle on the tractor.

!:50 scale model. £105 from PKC Models.