ERF and Foden.

Why did these two UK manufacturers not take on the big boys, the CAT engine or the ■■■■■■■■ i used to drive an ERF Olympic super space cab doing Gibraltar, the thing was unbreakable, the torque and power once you winded it up could go like the wind.
I must admit the ERF are ugly to look at.The plastic dash and cab roof would be too hot in the Iberian sun,they had a chance but failed to dominate the market.
The top four sellers are, in no order,:
Volvo
Mercedes Benz
MAN
Scania.

The twin spitter Eaton gear box, who designed that, Mr Maggoo.
Why are the Germans and Swedish the top players, the high price and build quality, but what about a Chinese made truck,just as good like the Hino or Isuzo, would you buy one or drive it.?
The CAT engines are amazing, you could say they pur like a ■■■■■.

Foden was discontinued because Cat and ■■■■■■■ wouldn’t invest in making Euro4 engines. Without these, Foden trucks were simply Daf CFs with a (superior) rubber suspension. Foden Alphas are much better tippers than CFs with better payload, more power and no creaky creaky suspension.
ERF I guess for the same reason, although a fibreglass cab on a MAN chassis would probably mean I could’ve carried more than 18.5 tonnes on my wagon.

Thought daf’s were the best selling truck. I get the feeling that MAN will be the next to disappear.

Decent drivelines but a cabs fit and finish was shocking compared to volvo scania etc

I was told when I 1st started that “the ERF is a mans truck” - I didn’t really like them at the time but miss them now they’ve gone, tough as old boots :cry: The Eaton t/s was brilliant once you got the hang of it & I’ve never known a ■■■■■■■ engine to let go, the DAF’s that replaced them on the other hand have had a few engines replaced ■■

Went from a 51 plate Volvo to a 52 plate Erf back in 2005 and thought I had gone back about 10 years in terms of technology the standard of build quality in the erf’s cab was diabolical took a couple of weeks to work out which switch did what as all the markings were worn away no surprise they folded when you look at what they were up against

toby1234abc:
Why did these two UK manufacturers not take on the big boys, the CAT engine or the ■■■■■■■■ i used to drive an ERF Olympic super space cab doing Gibraltar, the thing was unbreakable, the torque and power once you winded it up could go like the wind.
I must admit the ERF are ugly to look at.The plastic dash and cab roof would be too hot in the Iberian sun,they had a chance but failed to dominate the market.
Volvo
Mercedes Benz
MAN
Scania.

Why are the Germans and Swedish the top players, the high price and build quality, but what about a Chinese made truck,just as good like the Hino or Isuzo, would you buy one or drive it.?

You’ve got the eyes slanting the wrong way, Hino & Isuzu are Japanese :open_mouth:

mazzer:
Went from a 51 plate Volvo to a 52 plate Erf back in 2005 and thought I had gone back about 10 years in terms of technology the standard of build quality in the erf’s cab was diabolical took a couple of weeks to work out which switch did what as all the markings were worn away no surprise they folded when you look at what they were up against

The ECX was a backward step but I drove a W reg EC11 and loved it.

Backward step? I don’t even class ecx as an ERF,the last Erf to me was the diehard EC11.

Dan Punchard:
Backward step? I don’t even class ecx as an ERF,the last Erf to me was the diehard EC11.

True Dan, the Foden Alpha (Leyland Daf 75/85 and CF versions) were just Cat and ■■■■■■■ powered Dafs. Still miss my S reg 4340 6xwheeler)

Dan Punchard:

what ^^^^^^^^^^^ said :slight_smile:

I liked my foden, the jake brake would scare children and set off car alarms. It had a hell of a lot of grunt for a 345

No quarter light so the window rattles unless its up,16 speed eaton that don’t last,air suspension valves that when plug in the lap says all good then one side looses air ? More faults ect,and to top it off they only made them for about 2 years max so parts are none existant,try pricing some headlamps if you can get them.

shuttlespanker:

Dan Punchard:

what ^^^^^^^^^^^ said :slight_smile:

I agree with these ^^^

We had an ECX at Lynx and I was never that keen on driving it. It was a strange drive, everything felt vague when driving it especially the steering. It was comfortable and had plenty of space but that’s about all the good things I remember about it. As others have said, the EC was far better than the ECX.

image.jpg

image.jpg

toby1234abc:
Volvo
Mercedes Benz
MAN
Scania.

Hiya…ERF was fitting 14 litre 270 ■■■■■■■ engines 5 years before volvo come up with the 9 litre 290 in the 88.
it was the customers who would’nt pay for the big engine and unnesscary steel sleeper cab.
if you read up ERF sent 100 lorries to Jordon in 1968 with iicr 270 bhp ■■■■■■■ engines with 10 speed fuller boxes
you could have a 350 ■■■■■■■ in 1973 with a fuller box.
John

Don’t forget here that ■■■■■■■ worked with and or sold the technology to the European makes.

used to drive all over europe in erfs for howard shipping wolves and loved them my e14 would outpull the scanias up mont blanc happy days it was a proper driving truck