ERF and Foden.

Dan Punchard:
Backward step? I don’t even class ecx as an ERF,the last Erf to me was the diehard EC11.

I was an EC14 man with twin split.

Ken.

toby1234abc:
The twin spitter Eaton gear box, who designed that, Mr Maggoo.

Personally, I thought the Eaton twin-splitter was a fantastic gearbox. Maybe “driver resistance” killed it off because it was totally different to the standard ZF 16-speed gearbox of the day, but I thought mine was brilliant, changing gear with just a push of the thumb three times out of four and driving from London to Liverpool without ever once having to touch the clutch pedal.

Harry Monk:
driving from London to Liverpool without ever once having to touch the clutch pedal.

Could you balance that by saying how many times you hit a false neutral when you thought you where going to go at a roundabout ? :laughing: :laughing:
Please don’t say none !!!

Anyone remember the Pegaso Troner.GBE at Bournemouth sent them all over Europe.

None,there are more tunes to be played on a eaton two speed as on an electric controlled one with an ageing vehicle the wires get poor on the stick,so it doesn’t connect when you pull/ push.

my very first truck was an erf ec10 350 with an eaton twin splitter, owned by punchards of uttoxetor before me - M355 ADM,

then came these three…

all genuine Olympic cabs…
on the left is T294 OAH - ex jack Richards, the more “normal” of the three, with the ■■■■■■■ 11 litre and an eaton twin splitter gearbox, in the middle is W378 RRE, an ec127 - owned by someone who subbed to shirlies of stoke(I think) from leeds which sported the Detroit diesel engine @ 430hp coupled to an eaton 16 speed syncro, then there was my chariot - S131 JFP, originally owned by chambers and cook and came to me on super low profile tyres, so by the time i’d fitted 80 profile rubber it went well! this was an ec12 with the cat c12 rated at 410hp and again a 16 speed syncro.

here is my ecx11,(originally owned by J A Killoh of fraserburgh) which had the eaton 16 speed - not the nore common ZF equivelant,

Me and another lad learnt to drive the twin split on m355adm ,the clutch was awful ,if you can drive that you can drive anything,a regular run for that lorry was Stuttgart .it was replaced by p106bss foden 4455 as seen above.

toby1234abc:
Why did these two UK manufacturers not take on the big boys, the CAT engine or the ■■■■■■■■ i used to drive an ERF Olympic super space cab doing Gibraltar, the thing was unbreakable, the torque and power once you winded it up could go like the wind.
I must admit the ERF are ugly to look at.The plastic dash and cab roof would be too hot in the Iberian sun,they had a chance but failed to dominate the market.
The top four sellers are, in no order,:
Volvo
Mercedes Benz
MAN
Scania.

The twin spitter Eaton gear box, who designed that, Mr Maggoo.
Why are the Germans and Swedish the top players, the high price and build quality, but what about a Chinese made truck,just as good like the Hino or Isuzo, would you buy one or drive it.?
The CAT engines are amazing, you could say they pur like a ■■■■■.

toby toby toby…there is no way MAN are in the top 4 trucks.
1reason the twin split died was ZF and even Eaton made a syncro box that anyone could use
Main reason Foden died was ,they didn’t sell enough,and since they where being made on the same line in Leyland as the DAF range,it was taking longer to build a Foden tipper chassis than the equivalent DAF…So it was costing lost production as such…Mark Piggot who owns PACCAR ie Peterbilt ,Kenworth ,bought Foden to get in to Europe ,which never happened ,I can’t remember if he bought DAF first then Leyland assembly plant…Hard to believe all those companies owned by a family

Dan Punchard:
Me and another lad learnt to drive the twin split on m355adm ,the clutch was awful ,if you can drive that you can drive anything,a regular run for that lorry was Stuttgart .it was replaced by p106bss foden 4455 as seen above.

lol - even better than the aweful clutch, I drove it for six months after buying it with a totally knackered intercooler - as it was literally the first truck i’d driven I didn’t know anybetter and had nothing to compare it to so I just figured it didn’t pull very well and made do!!! I only paid 4.5k for it bless it - the lads in the yard couldn’t believe I’ve bought it, it did look A bit of a mess, I actually got it from ■■■■ pountain at dove valley, but I painted it black and put a silver stripe on it, and eventually got it a sun visor to :slight_smile: I ran it for two years altogether, apart from the intercooler it never really cost me much in maintenance, the clutch never fell out either :open_mouth: