Entertainment in cab

hi guys

im new to tramping i was wondering i have a laptop and a tablet but i have seen a truck with a sky dish on the side where can i buy one

I watch sky through sky go on my laptop why would you want to ■■■■ about with a gret dish in your cab :open_mouth:

bigun77:
i have seen a truck with a sky dish on the side where can i buy one

eBay #350709084789 ■■

Or you could get one of those kits from maplins etc
maplin.co.uk/p/used-hd-campi … Au_s8P8HAQ

Personnelly if I had mobile data and a dish, I’d buy an openbox V8S set top box + “gift” from eBay and connnect that to a flatscreen TV via an inverter then you’ll have access to all Sky/BT channels (entertainment, sport, movies, ■■■■ etc). But this setup is a little more for the ■■■■■■■■ tramper, rather than a casual tramper

peirre:
Personnelly if I had mobile data and a dish, I’d buy an openbox V8S set top box + “gift” from eBay and connnect that to a flatscreen TV via an inverter then you’ll have access to all Sky/BT channels (entertainment, sport, movies, ■■■■ etc). But this setup is a little more for the ■■■■■■■■ tramper, rather than a casual tramper

How much data does this openbox V8S box use mate? I’m guessing it’s minimal and all the broadcasting info comes in via the dish.
Yes/No?

Giffgaff do unlimited data for £20 a month payg. Handy for sky go or open box etc.

EB The signal comes thru the dish, the data is used for the card share / card check, so it’s basic handshake protocol. Set topbox sends data signal to card share server asking is card authorised (Much like the sky card in your box at home does) the card in the server authenticates with sky all is ok. Then the signal bounces back to you via mobile data and unscrambles your picture. This repeats every so often, or when you switch over to a PPV channel. But it’s instantaneous. This uses a few bits of data, and you could tether your mobile phone to the openbox via USB to achieve the effect. The only time the picture may stall is when there’s a major (football) event on and the load / demand on the card share server is high then the picture may pause for a few seconds.
Using 2x of these at home I have access to all channels inc sly PVV (boxing) events Without the £30-£70 pm bill, downside however is that it’s not kosher so the geezer providing the server may take your money and run, the access service may last 1 day, 1 month or a year for the 1 off subscription, but as they’re readily available it’s easy come, easy go. Pay your £5-£15 and enjoy it while it lasts.

If you already have Sly installed at home you can either let the contract expire and install one of these boxes, or reduce to minimum package and install openbox as primary or secondary box

Cheers for that detailed info. :smiley:

I only have mobile broadband at home so I don’t pay that ripoff called line rental. Plus as I don’t download ■■■■ (much! :blush:) or use Netflix or iplayer a lot it’s plenty good enough for me. But I would like to see a bit of sports like footy now and then, but no way am I paying Sky a fortune each month for the odd game… I’ve got a sky dish on the house though, so I assume I could just plug it straight in to that and use a USB wifi dongle to get the internet connection.

I see on ebay some units come with a 24 month gift, but from what you say that could last a day until Sky re-encode the signal and I’d need a new gift. Think I’ll give it a spin though and maybe go with a cheaper one with say a 12 month gift. It’s only about the equivalent of a months Sky subscription! :laughing:

Cheers pal!

OVLOV JAY:
Giffgaff do unlimited data for £20 a month payg. Handy for sky go or open box etc.

Yeah I’m on EE with double speed 4G, works seemlessly day in day out in my area, where as I’ve no idea how good GiffGaff is in my area.
Cheers though! :smiley:

Like someone said above, I have the £20 package from GiffGaff. Its not a contract and I can withdraw from it at any point. I use my phone as a hotspot and connect my laptop to it and stream SkyGo and youtube or whatever. However recently I’ve found myself to just watching the box set of the Walking Dead and doesnt mean I need to connect my laptop to my phone.

Evil8Beezle:

OVLOV JAY:

Yeah I’m on EE with double speed 4G, works seemlessly day in day out in my area, where as I’ve no idea how good GiffGaff is in my area.
Cheers though! :smiley:

I find GiffGaff to work anywhere up and down the country. However there seems to be some sort of “black-spot” in Severn View Services as I found out last night.

EB I had a MiFi that despite being in contract till may 16 I wasn’t using so I loaned it and my spare openbox to my sister who was enjoying pay TV at a different address to me despite using the same code / card share as me that I bought. The MiFi provided adiquate data for the box and spare data for internet access. As she previously had a Sly dish it was a straightforward plug + play.

Taking this setup on the road would mean setting up the dish each time you stop, but I doubt it would take more than a few minutes to do

Why not Freesat? As the name says it`s free to air, no need for any data at all. OK, no footie, athletics etc, is that a bother?

Openbox also provide all freesat channels, again the signal is via the dish. The box is about the same size too

peirre:
EB I had a MiFi that despite being in contract till may 16 I wasn’t using so I loaned it and my spare openbox to my sister who was enjoying pay TV at a different address to me despite using the same code / card share as me that I bought. The MiFi provided adiquate data for the box and spare data for internet access. As she previously had a Sly dish it was a straightforward plug + play.

Taking this setup on the road would mean setting up the dish each time you stop, but I doubt it would take more than a few minutes to do

Yeah MiFi is basically what I have, I’m just not keeping up with the tech names of things anymore. :blush:
So that sounds perfect for me then, thanks for your help! :smiley:

I have a large dish ( 80 cm ) which is needed for sky when abroad…I made up my own bracket which i got from B&Q and is used for carrying glass, a handle with 2 suction cups one on each end, i clamp that to the truck or windscreen, hook on the dish, and set it up with the meters i have and thats it. My tv has inbuilt sattelite anyway, but need a dish for the signal. Sky boxes not being used can pick up all freesat programs, and they can be bought with a card on e bay for around £20…good luck.

If you go with openbox, get the box with a wifi USB antenna. Usually £40+ instead of £35 lbox only. You then have a choice of either buying a box+antenna+gift package for £70+ or buy the box/antenna & gift separate and inputting the codes manually. YouTube is awash with instruction videos

peirre:
If you go with openbox, get the box with a wifi USB antenna. Usually £40+ instead of £35 lbox only. You then have a choice of either buying a box+antenna+gift package for £70+ or buy the box/antenna & gift separate and inputting the codes manually. YouTube is awash with instruction videos

Cheers, I was looking at this one: ebay.co.uk/itm/112103931393? … lgo=origal

£50 with a 12 month gift and the Wifi adapter, which I’ll definitely buy with it as I’m aware that some don’t work with certain kit. :imp:

The feedback on that doesn’t look good, I’d msg them to enquire how stable their server is. A lot of the gift sellers are pop ups, however the boxes are much the same same.
You can record what your viewing on these, it only record what your watching. If you want to watch 1 program and record another at the same time then I recommend a zegema HD twin channel box
zgemma.co.uk
m.ebay.co.uk/itm/182117531383?_mwBanner=1

peirre:
The feedback on that doesn’t look good, I’d msg them to enquire how stable their server is. A lot of the gift sellers are pop ups, however the boxes are much the same same

Ah, so the hardware is all the same stuff, but the gift is vendor specific and I might have issues with them.
That being the case, wouldn’t it just be a case of just getting another gift from someone else?

How about one of these :open_mouth:
pole.png

Evil8Beezle:
That being the case, wouldn’t it just be a case of just getting another gift from someone else?

Get your gifts anywhere but be prepared to lose the odd one they can be hit/miss, I lost a £6/12month gift after 3 days (too good to be real), another £9.99 has been stable for a year, there are better sources out there but are slightly more expensive. Today I bought a code for £15/12month for a mate