Engines ticking over

Probably been posted before but why do people insist on leaving engines ticking over■■?

Regardless of the time of day some people just can’t turn their engines off.

You know who you are!!! but could you explain WHY?? please

With a reason I could understand but I can’t find one - I know the turbo bit when you pull up but…10 minutes in a morning & the 5 minutes at night :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Please explain

In my experience it’s a “don’t give a toss not my fuel” attitude, one of my pet hates as well.

Drive a day cab, no heater.

Phantom Mark:
In my experience it’s a “don’t give a toss not my fuel” attitude, one of my pet hates as well.

+1

Always run mine up for 5 mins in the morning before i pull off, just to make sure every thing sounds right and the oils got to everywhere before putting the engine under full load. then when i stop in the evening another 5 mins just helps the poor girl settle down after a hard day. if i stop during the day always let it ideal for a couple of mins before shut down. now mines done over a million kms now and still pulls like a train and don’t use any oil betwwen inspections so i will keep to what i am doing :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Just a point!!!

The drivers manuals that come with these vehicles doesn’t recommend engines ticking over for whatever reason except for cooling down when coming off motorway or similar and coming to a stop. 30 seconds is ample…in the morning, apart from building air up (if needed…Mmm, air leak :unamused: ) engine works better when moving and being USED, not idling.

Unless I’ve got it wrong - and I’m not interested in the ■■■■■■■ engine and this gearbox or the other I’m on about now. Tonight and in the morning

dri-diddly-iver:
Just a point!!!

The drivers manuals that come with these vehicles doesn’t recommend engines ticking over for whatever reason except for cooling down when coming off motorway or similar and coming to a stop. 30 seconds is ample…in the morning, apart from building air up (if needed…Mmm, air leak :unamused: ) engine works better when moving and being USED, not idling.

Unless I’ve got it wrong - and I’m not interested in the ■■■■■■■ engine and this gearbox or the other I’m on about now. Tonight and in the morning

i probably still work to the old school way, but hey when i trained as a mechanic was always told never thrash the engine from cold but that was back in the mid 80’s. but anyway my boss has always told us to let them run up in the morning and run then down at night, so i will do that no skin off my nose and like i say my engine has never been touched from new just rotine servicing and that is all :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

We have fellas at our place who leave their lorries ticking over for the full fifteen minutes of their allotted ‘check round time’.

Something to do with the DCPC… I couldn’t say for certain because it wasn’t on my course.

It seems that complaining about crap wages is on the same course because the same fellas do that as well…

W

The main reason to let the engine idle for at least a minute is to allow the Turbo to reduce revolutions as turning the engine off as soon as you stop also halts oil distribution to the Turbo bearings which can be damaged over time and the Turbo fail. Its also better for the engine as has been said above. Worth remembering though that it is an offence to leave an unmanned vehicle ticking over on the street, while you nip in the shop for a paper or ■■■■! Franky.

Frankydobo:
The main reason to let the engine idle for at least a minute is to allow the Turbo to reduce revolutions as turning the engine off as soon as you stop also halts oil distribution to the Turbo bearings which can be damaged over time and the Turbo fail. Its also better for the engine as has been said above. Worth remembering though that it is an offence to leave an unmanned vehicle ticking over on the street, while you nip in the shop for a paper or ■■■■! Franky.

a turbo will slow down very quickly once the throttle is closed

stevie

stevieboy308:

Frankydobo:

stevie

No throttle on a diesel :wink:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Frankydobo:

stevie

how does loud pedal do ya? :laughing: :laughing:

some diesels do :wink:

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Frankydobo:

stevie

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throttle
Definition of throttle is a valve or restriction, something a petrol engine needs to use to control engine revs, not found on a diesel :wink: hence the propensity for a turbo on a diesel engine to run on if a diesel engine stops suddenly with an intake and exhaust valve slightly open on the same cylinder :slight_smile:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Frankydobo:

stevie

Definition of throttle is a valve or restriction, something a petrol engine needs to use to control engine revs, not found on a diesel :wink: hence the propensity for a turbo on a diesel engine to run on if a diesel engine stops suddenly with an intake and exhaust valve slightly open on the same cylinder :slight_smile:

The power output of a diesel engine is controlled by regulating the quantity of fuel that is injected into the cylinder. Because the engines do not need to control air volumes, they lack a butterfly valve in the intake tract. An exception to this generalization is newer diesel engines meeting stricter emissions standards, where a throttle is used to generate intake manifold vacuum, thereby allowing the introduction of exhaust gas (see EGR) to lower combustion temperatures and thereby minimize NOx production

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Frankydobo:

stevie

The power output of a diesel engine is controlled by regulating the quantity of fuel that is injected into the cylinder. Because the engines do not need to control air volumes, they lack a butterfly valve in the intake tract. An exception to this generalization is newer diesel engines meeting stricter emissions standards, where a throttle is used to generate intake manifold vacuum, thereby allowing the introduction of exhaust gas (see EGR) to lower combustion temperatures and thereby minimize NOx production

And when a diesel engine is turned off the EGR valve goes to default position…which is open, thats if it is EGR, it might be SCR, and how does the introduction of already hot exhaust gasses into the intake manifold lower combustion temperatures. Its all eco bollox, very expensive and making my head hurt :slight_smile:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Frankydobo:

stevie

And when a diesel engine is turned off the EGR valve goes to default position…which is open, thats if it is EGR, it might be SCR, and how does the introduction of already hot exhaust gasses into the intake manifold lower combustion temperatures. Its all eco bollox, very expensive and making my head hurt :slight_smile:

loud pedal, yeah?? :laughing: :laughing:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Frankydobo:

stevie

If that is a Wiki quote it need saltering as some diesels rely on a butterlfly in the inlet manifold to increase speed, which is linked by vacuum to the distribution pump and this increases fuel flow directly in proportion to air intake.

Is it an offence to leave an unmanned vechicle ticking over in the street with the doors locked whilst the driver is delivering cars. :laughing: I with wildfire, 5 mins in the morning and 5 at night, whilst other lorries on our fleet had 3 turbos by the time they hit 750000kms mine had its first and that was only cos i noticed and noise with it.

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Frankydobo:

stevie

loud pedal, yeah?? :laughing: :laughing:

whatever…trucks are like women, foreplay is king and gentle treatment takes you all the way, its my truck so I’ll still give it five minutes in the morning :grimacing:

I’ll still give it five minutes in the morning

not a lot of foreplay then? :smiley: