Engines ticking over

del949:

I’ll still give it five minutes in the morning

not a lot of foreplay then? :smiley:

yeh, but then she goes for 9 hours :grimacing:

Big Joe:
whatever…trucks are like women, foreplay is king and gentle treatment takes you all the way, its my truck so I’ll still give it five minutes in the morning :grimacing:

Well I think that comment just about trumps it.

Here’s a thought, wouldn’t it be better if the engine was never switched off, so it never gets cold… if it were possible of course. I understand that railway locmotives are basically left running all the time. I’m sure it can’t do a truck any harm.

i was told by my friend,who is a retired engineer,that starting my bike up in the garage,in winter,and letting it warm up to dry out/charge the battery is a no-no.
apparently,whilst the engine is only ticking over it is`nt sending sufficent oil around the engine…much better to hold it on 3000 rpm he reckons.
dont know if this applies to diesel engines though :confused:

this is the correct way to warm an engine

i don`t think the bloke parked up next to you will mind too much :wink:

5 mins in a morning fine. 5 mins at night unnecessary, a minute will do.

I’ve always been told that it’s better to warm an engine up using gentle running rather than standing idle tickover.

Also, give my vehicles about 15 seconds to a minute depending how bored I get before turning them off, not too bad for me in the car coming home, it’s about 2 miles from motorway to house, so it gets a nice gentle cool down on way home, but I still fold my mirrors in and get my stuff out before turning engine off.

My old (very old) renault 21 turbo had a ‘turbo timer’ that would run the turbo and oil pump for a set number of mins after shut down, but I still blew the turbo on that (140mph on clock UP the M67 from Hyde towards Glossop - erm road closed for testing purposes etc), so sometimes I think it’s just luck. Can still remember the smoke out of the arse end now, phew it stunk, an oil seal went and it ■■■■■■ oil in and sent it straight out the back slightly hotter, power disappeared, lots of smoke, thought I’d stop and see what was going on, within 100yrds I was below min on oil (even when recovery arrived over an hour later) so very close to a dead engine.
If it was a diesel, it’d have probably ran itself to death, they don’t like it when the oil seals go, think they ■■■■ it straight into the air system and it goes on a continuous acceleration until the engine dies - sometimes just stops, sometimes sends bits through the bonnet.

wildfire:
Always run mine up for 5 mins in the morning before i pull off, just to make sure every thing sounds right and the oils got to everywhere before putting the engine under full load. then when i stop in the evening another 5 mins just helps the poor girl settle down after a hard day. if i stop during the day always let it ideal for a couple of mins before shut down. now mines done over a million kms now and still pulls like a train and don’t use any oil betwwen inspections so i will keep to what i am doing :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

right
But dont forget you use more Diesel to start then dave if you switch off for 2 minutes

Immigrant:

wildfire:
Always run mine up for 5 mins in the morning before i pull off, just to make sure every thing sounds right and the oils got to everywhere before putting the engine under full load. then when i stop in the evening another 5 mins just helps the poor girl settle down after a hard day. if i stop during the day always let it ideal for a couple of mins before shut down. now mines done over a million kms now and still pulls like a train and don’t use any oil betwwen inspections so i will keep to what i am doing :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

right
But dont forget you use more Diesel to start then dave if you switch off for 2 minutes

My my what good English you have today my little troll

Cosmic:
Here’s a thought, wouldn’t it be better if the engine was never switched off, so it never gets cold… if it were possible of course. I understand that railway locmotives are basically left running all the time. I’m sure it can’t do a truck any harm.

I’m sure some of our USA correspondents will be along soon to confirm it, but yanks trucks operating in extreme temperatures are regularly left running overnight to power aircon or the heating when parked. There can be issues over piston rings jamming up with gunk in engines if they only get light use, but in a truck they get plenty of hard work and regular oil changes.

Whilst looking for the new US laws some state have passed on excessive idling, came across this interesting idea, albeit from 4 yrs ago:

answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 707AAfrJra

Whilst In Granada last year…It was 45 degrees. Hot as hell. I left my Sprinter running 2 days with the aircon on. It was too hot to get out. Never missed a beat/overheated or any problem. It was a little smokey when I 1st moved off though.

I worked on aircraft engines for over 20 years and the engines that never got to cool down had a lot less faults than ones that were started up after sitting cold.

Our buses switch themselves off after 5 minutes.

rambo19:

At stobart were on fuel bonus so off when we park up in depots, rdcs and gatehouses! :grimacing:
Although some comedian from crick turned his engine off evertime he stopped on the motorway! Plod was sat behind him and walked unto driver and asked why he kept turning his engine off■■? Not me officer! Yes driver your lights pulsate on your volvo eachtime you do so! Eddie stobart said so so I must! :unamused: :question: :exclamation: :bulb: :grimacing:

Fatboy slimslow:

rambo19:

At stobart were on fuel bonus so off when we park up in depots, rdcs and gatehouses! :grimacing:
Although some comedian from crick turned his engine off evertime he stopped on the motorway! Plod was sat behind him and walked unto driver and asked why he kept turning his engine off■■? Not me officer! Yes driver your lights pulsate on your volvo eachtime you do so! Eddie stobart said so so I must! :unamused: :question: :exclamation: :bulb: :grimacing:

How is that any different from these stop / start technologies?

I’ve always thought how it’d be quite embarasing when the lights turn green…

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Big Joe:

stevieboy308:

Frankydobo:
The main reason to let the engine idle for at least a minute is to allow the Turbo to reduce revolutions as turning the engine off as soon as you stop also halts oil distribution to the Turbo bearings which can be damaged over time and the Turbo fail. Its also better for the engine as has been said above. Worth remembering though that it is an offence to leave an unmanned vehicle ticking over on the street, while you nip in the shop for a paper or ■■■■! Franky.

a turbo will slow down very quickly once the throttle is closed

stevie

No throttle on a diesel :wink:

how does loud pedal do ya? :laughing: :laughing:

some diesels do :wink:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throttle
Definition of throttle is a valve or restriction, something a petrol engine needs to use to control engine revs, not found on a diesel :wink: hence the propensity for a turbo on a diesel engine to run on if a diesel engine stops suddenly with an intake and exhaust valve slightly open on the same cylinder :slight_smile:

The power output of a diesel engine is controlled by regulating the quantity of fuel that is injected into the cylinder. Because the engines do not need to control air volumes, they lack a butterfly valve in the intake tract. An exception to this generalization is newer diesel engines meeting stricter emissions standards, where a throttle is used to generate intake manifold vacuum, thereby allowing the introduction of exhaust gas (see EGR) to lower combustion temperatures and thereby minimize NOx production

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throttle

And when a diesel engine is turned off the EGR valve goes to default position…which is open, thats if it is EGR, it might be SCR, and how does the introduction of already hot exhaust gasses into the intake manifold lower combustion temperatures. Its all eco bollox, very expensive and making my head hurt :slight_smile:

loud pedal, yeah?? :laughing: :laughing:

whatever…trucks are like women, foreplay is king and gentle treatment takes you all the way, its my truck so I’ll still give it five minutes in the morning :mrgreen:

Can’t argue with that! I hate to see one left ticking over, but also hate to see one ‘thrashed’ to full revs from cold, and brought screaming to a halt and immediately stopped.

Fergi:

I worked on aircraft engines for over 20 years and the engines that never got to cool down had a lot less faults than ones that were started up after sitting cold.

You’ll be familiar with the Pratt &Whitney PT-6 then. This turbine engine, installed on many light aircraft, is maintained partly on the number of starts over a period of running hours. Starting a turbine engine requires
it to accept extreme temp changes over a very short time period.
One of these engines is pumping water in Canada,and has been non-stop for over 20 years. No engine wear
is taking place because it’s never been shut down.

Driveroneuk, Idleair were in a lot of the TA truckstops in the US but went ■■■■-up a couple of years ago.
It was a good idea and apparently a lot of companies covered the cost saving the driver money.
By the way 99.9 % of truckstops don’t charge for parking.

Another good idea bites the dust.

A total mystery, why would you let an engine idle, and why would you let an engine idle in an M.S.A when drivers are trying to sleep.

A modern engine does not require to be run prior to use or does it need to be left to idle after prolonged use.
My bike produces 100 B.H.P from 599cc at 15,500 rpm do I fanny about with it, no I don’t.