......Engines running

Nozza:
Have to turn ours of asap.Microlise software allows 2mins of idle.

Ha ha we are allowed 3 minutes, I’ll turn engine off before if I’m in our yard or rdc etc but not if I’m out on the public highway where obviously it’s because I’m stuck in traffic (our microlise knows where we are) and although all our motors are nearly new I’ve got this fear of it not starting again afterwards.

Depends. Sometimes I do, its not my fuel at the end of the day.

i always do…but i have to because of the HIAB PTO. If im stopped for a break hell no, i want silence if i can

bald bloke:

Nozza:

Ha ha we are allowed 3 minutes, I’ll turn engine off before if I’m in our yard or rdc etc but not if I’m out on the public highway where obviously it’s because I’m stuck in traffic (our microlise knows where we are) and although all our motors are nearly new I’ve got this fear of it not starting again afterwards.

why would anyone put up with being spied upon to this extent,
its communism at its finest and people told the Russians it wouldn’t work :neutral_face:

green456:

bald bloke:

Nozza:

its communism at its finest and people told the Russians it wouldn’t work :neutral_face:

Unfortunately seems to be the way things are going.With the larger firms anyway.Not ideal I know.But to be fair it’s not a hard thing to do.You have to adjust your driving style abit with the microlise system.

bald bloke:

Nozza:

Yours must be set a bit different to ours then.i do turn it of occasionally in traffic or at lights.But one day it’s probably not going to start.lol.

I never warm my car up ,or sprinter which has done over a million ks although it’s down hill for 2 miles from here ,however if I drive any of our Erf s by the time the air has built up( a long time) the heater is even hot ,I also leave them running after pulling up or using crane with the cruise setting the revs ,the 14 ltr hydraulics if you don’t let it cool down .

Contraflow:

Own Account Driver:

Contraflow:

m1cks:

mike68:
would you leave your car running before or after you drive it, no.

Yes and always do.

Me too.

Is this your gaff?

■■■■■ please. As if that’d be my gaff. :unamused:

…I’ve got a double garage.

That’s a triple garage now!

If the night heater doesn’t work or it’s too hot & I need air con I leave the truck engine running-not my motor, not my fuel so I don’t care, even if I got a bonus for it I’d find other ways of earning it back, my comfort & safety is more important.

In my car I always leave it running for at least a minute at the end of my journey, prolongs turbo life so the mechanic I bought it from said…

Intresting subject i leave it to run for a minuite or two in the morning while air builds up and i fill out paperwork. Our work is all round town so not a need to run for long to let turbo slow down. If i have break in the cab or waiting always switched off.
The landfill site where i tip has a cafe on site i stop there to get a drink every morning and theres a group of 6-10 drivers from same firm there and they never stop moaning about the firm and they keep asking for a rise and get a no. Outside nealy every one of there motors are sitting there with the engines running.

changing the subject maybe somehere have one have you noticed how many new cars have this stop start engine thing in traffic. Maybe ok new but its got to knock the life out of the battery and starter motor over time.

Nozza:

bald bloke:

Nozza:

Yours must be set a bit different to ours then.i do turn it of occasionally in traffic or at lights.But one day it’s probably not going to start.lol.

3 minutes is generally plenty long enough to open rear doors and attach your lines which
is helpful, it tends to be drivers who keep it ticking over for no reason in our yard or rdc’s they tend to moan at .

I’d knock mine off if I didn’t have to silence the sodding tracker every time with my pain in the arse of a fob.

TM neglected to tell the tracker company that we own all our motors, and don’t get rid until they’re pretty much scrappers.

So all the tracker jobbies that you put your fob against have been put onto random switch blanks all over the place.

Own Account Driver:

Smoggie89:

waynedl:
Had to leave mine running last week for some time, when I arrived at work I had a dead battery, so I tested the ‘abs lead’ jump start system, and IT WORKS for those that doubted it.
So, after my truck was jump started, I left it running, but our trucks will only idle so long and then turn off.
Everytime I started it for the next 5 or 6 times, I’d always let it run until it turned itself off.

Normally, I like to turn it off just for the quiet.

What abs jump start

You can charge the battery by connecting the ABS lead to another unit instead of a trailer. Ok if the battery still relatively alive if it’s pancaked you need jump leads or you can connect a tail-lift lead between units if both have the socket.

^^ This…

BUT, remember to disconnect the ABS lead before trying to start your truck - this is what I was told.

So, connect ABS lead between trucks, start up good truck, go for a brew, come back, turn off good truck, disconnect ABS lead, try and start dead truck.

Worked for me

In the truck manual/handbook it doesn’t say to warm them up (in mine at least) it says something along the lines of designed to start and go. Older trucks may need a little encouragement but modern trucks are quite capable of working straight away, maybe a minute for any air issues.

When stopping/stopped it recommends tick over no more than a minute for turbo to cool.

What annoys me (in services etc) are those drivers that start up early and leave them ticking over for 30 minutes then decide to go when everyone else has been woken up :unamused: :imp:

dri-diddly-iver:
What annoys me (in services etc) are those drivers that start up early and leave them ticking over for 30 minutes then decide to go when everyone else has been woken up :unamused: :imp:

Thursday night I parked in Wetherby (the town, not the services) and on Friday morning an Adams driver fired up at 05.15 (it woke me) and it was still sat there ticking over when I left at 06.15! It’s a town centre surrounded by houses ffs! We don’t do ourselves any favours tbh.

kr79:
changing the subject maybe somehere have one have you noticed how many new cars have this stop start engine thing in traffic. Maybe ok new but its got to knock the life out of the battery and starter motor over time.

Yeah - you used to be able to get a good getaway from a set of lights but now id rather pull up behind a 10 year old fiesta than a new BMW as you know whos going to be pulling away first.

green456:

Because, as ever, haulage firms have to legislate for the lowest common denominator, which in this industry is pretty low. In this case it’s the idiots who will happily sit there for an hour or two with the engine ticking over for no good reason. When there are attitudes like the ‘not my truck, not my fuel, I don’t care’, as displayed in this thread even, it’s hardly surprising.

Dis ma ■■■■ in when you find a nice peaceful place to have a break and some knob in a van or truck parks next to you for 20 bleedin minutes on turnover!

Only time I leave it running is if I have a dodgy battery, don’t have any fuel figures to meet anymore but it’s engrained in me to save fuel by my last company so i always switch off whenever it makes sense.

Turn engine off asap as we are on a fuel bonus system but don’t do it at light’s as others have said for fear of not starting :exclamation:

green456:

Because that’s the way most companies are nowadays, in no small part because of attitudes like-

Pimpdaddy:
-not my motor, not my fuel so I don’t care…