Engine started as soon as you wake up wtf?

can anybody tell me why some drivers feel it necessary to run there engines 20 mins before they depart, it aint hard to see that others drivers are still asleep and maybe disturbed, or maybe they just couldnt give a toss bout there fellow drivers , as this seems to becoming common place, is it everyman for himself now or is there still a bit of comradeship out there?

One of the many many reasons I don’t sleep in a MSA/truckstop.

and i bet these drivers who run there engines for 20 mins are the first to moan about fridge motors running whilst there trying to sleep :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Some people will do it to build their air up in a morning if they got a bad leak and others will do it out of pure badness to their fellow drivers! Personally I strike it up about 10 mins before i set off to build up the air and warm the engine a bit.

The thing is they don’t put it on fast idle but just bog standard tick over - if they put the revs up to say 850 rpm it would build up the air 3x quicker and warm up 3 x quicker - at no extra diesel or damage to the engine - but it means a 10 minute tick over is reduced to a three minute one - meaning the reat of us can get back to sleep quicker
i hate these arse holes who sit there for 20 minutes - many time i have had a word - not found any who want to argue - they just bog off -
and what about the ones that sit there at night with the curtains around with the engine running WTF is going on - if the batteries are knackered get new ones !!
regards
Steve

With modern trucks and the price of fuel no more that 5 mins is enough before you hit the road. Some people just feel important revving the ■■■■ of in the morning.

I work late P.M’s, if I do use an M.S.A I make sure I knock the fridge off A.S.A.P.

I’m afraid it’s the “I’m all right jack half whit” that drive trucks nowadays, they think that everyone else sleeps only at night. There is no reason whatsoever to run a truck before you drive off, It will not heat up when it’s not under load, and the air should only take a short time to build up. £1.40 a liter is reason enough :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

xfmatt:
Personally I strike it up about 10 mins before i set off to build up the air and warm the engine a bit.

Best way to warm a modern diesel engine, and the way recommended by all the truck manufacturers, is to drive it. Thirty seconds then drive is more than enough, provided there is sufficient air.

xfmatt:
Some people will do it to build their air up in a morning if they got a bad leak.

If it takes 20mins after 11hrs rest it needs fixing.

Coffeeholic:

xfmatt:
Personally I strike it up about 10 mins before i set off to build up the air and warm the engine a bit.

Best way to warm a modern diesel engine, and the way recommended by all the truck manufacturers, is to drive it. Thirty seconds then drive is more than enough, provided there is sufficient air.

True, but that means town driving, not pulling onto a motorway straight away flat out.
Also the amount of drivers that I see pull into the services after driving hours on a motorway and switch the engine off straight away, thats no good. The turbo is still spinning but without any oil, I let it tick over for about minute. But who cares it’s not their truck right :unamused:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Coffeeholic:

xfmatt:

True, but that means town driving, not pulling onto a motorway straight away flat out.

No, any kind of driving, just not maximum revs. You can start it and 30 seconds later move from the parking in a service area onto the motorway and up to speed without doing any damage, just be steady about it.

… and if its very early with most other drivers still asleep, idle away, not changing gear until the trailer is between your unit & them.

I get annoyed when in our quarries’ lorry park, you can have 6 or more lorries parked side by side nice and quiet when (usually) a subbie whos dropped off a backload of stone has to leave his artic parked across infront of us (normally those who will be moving off in 10mins) and leave their wagon ticking over while they sweep their tipper body out and then bang the tailgate several times when there’s no need to even once!! then if and when they do switch off they then have a phone call on their handsfree that we all get to listen to ffs. Still, I can (zb)iss them off later in the afternoon by washing my lorry on the washdown when they’re in a hurry to wash the body out :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: Everytime they rev their engine I spend an extra 5 minutes :laughing:

especially some scania drivers who seem to test their rev counter works 5 or 6 times if they have stack/side pipes, Guessing it part of the daily checks. Then they check every split is working in the gear box as they pull away!

I never run my engine in the morning. I see what the air situation is when I turn the ignition on, if it’s full or nearly full I start my engine and drive, you can check all the lights ect with ignition on so there’s no need too run the engine too do your daily checks. If the air is low it’s never taken more than 1 min too build it up and the set off. This is how your engine should be warmed up! Sitting with it on tick over for 10+ min’s is actually BAD for the engine and will cause a build up of crap over time in the cylinders as well as waste fuel, cause unnecessary pollution and annoy people! and I’m prety sure it’s even an offence too leave your engine running for so long. As for the people that start the engine and then do a walk round check in a msa or layby they are breaking the law by getting out the vehicle and leaving the engine running!

I am one for starting the engine and driving off, to me it makes more sense, gets up to temperature quicker and saves glazing the bores. The worst thing you can do is stopping the engine after a long run immediately without letting it slow down, especially the turbo bearings. As long as you are using a premium oil and the oil pressure is up it wont harm the engine.

The only thing I warm up is a motorcycle engine, especially a tuned bike, not by letting it idle but by gently increasing the revs with each twist.

I can still remember the drivers who would sit on a frosty morning with their foot flat to the boards trying to build some air up and clearing the screen :open_mouth:

Saaamon:

xfmatt:
Some people will do it to build their air up in a morning if they got a bad leak.

That would be a Daf 3600 then . . Happy days :laughing: :laughing:

Suedehead:

Saaamon:

xfmatt:

That would be a Daf 3600 then . . Happy days :laughing: :laughing:

lol

Depending on weight on board and location, I quite often let my motor idle for 10 mins. I refuse to put my engine under load cold. Its done 1.3 million k’s, 800 of which with me. Its never done it any harm, nor have I ever knowingly disturbed anyone else.

10 minutes at idle is fine. Lets the oil get round & thinned out a bit = more efficient.
Starts to transfer some heat to the gearbox. Manual boxes certainly engage much easier with warm oil.

Probably makes a difference if its a co. truck or you’re paying for a new engine!