Enforcement of the law concerning middle lane hoggers

Most of you will just view this as another boring ‘middle lane hogger’ thread, but it makes my blood boil and I’m getting sick of it to be honest so here goes. Last night on the M40 I was on inside lane doing about 68mph with cruise control on. This car overtook me very slowly going about 68.2 mph. They got a few hundred yds past me & hadn’t moved back into lane 1 so i flashed a few times. They completely ignored me so i flashed again a bit more vigorously (I know I will face the wrath of the driving saints on here for such a misdemeanor)…still nothing apart from the offender fiddling a bit with his headlights. A few cars & vans went past me, went up behind hogger and also flashed him but still he wouldn’t budge. Then a police car went behind him & flashed a couple of times…still nothing, offender obviously didn’t realise that plod was now behind him. So the police car put his blue lights on…STILL NOTHING. Excellent i thought, for the first time in 10 years of driving and thousands of these idiots encountered I’m actually going to see one of them getting pulled…But the police car just overtook him and drove off, leaving middle lane moron to carry on his incompetent, ignorant way, probably the entire length of the M40 in the middle lane, totally oblivious to everything going on around him. From the way this idiot was driving, he was either stoned or completely unaware of how to drive on a motorway, both of which I would consider valid reasons for the police stopping him and having a word. So my question is, if the plod aren’t going to pull drivers for these levels of incompetence then when are they going to pull them? And if the law isn’t going to be applied, then why don’t we just have a free-for-all and allow undertaking? I am proud to admit that I frequently undertake, many times I’m in lane 1 of 4 doing 70 and there’s a buffoon in lane 3 doing 60 or below, there’s no way I am going to make 6 lane changes to go out to lane 4 to overtake the idiot then move back to lane 1. Has anyone on here actually ever seen anyone pulled for middle lane hogging? When it makes national news when someone is actually charged mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fi … le-5931458 then I would assume not.

Or do I just need to chill out?

There’s been a video on Faceache this week of a car hogging the outside lane at night doing about 60 and when a car comes up behind and flashes him out the way he brake checks him.

Then the blue lights start. The moron just brake checked an unmarked police car. Instant Karma. I’ll try and find it :grimacing:

If they are hogging and the inner lane is clear then use that - I do without any issues

Terry T:
There’s been a video on Faceache this week of a car hogging the outside lane at night doing about 60 and when a car comes up behind and flashes him out the way he brake checks him.

Then the blue lights start. The moron just brake checked an unmarked police car. Instant Karma. I’ll try and find it :grimacing:

Brilliant. Shame it doesn’t seem to happen enough.

Terry T:

Is that this video from 2012.

Not only did he brake check a police car but when the blue lights came on the car driver at first right signalled as if he was going to stop in lane 3 :open_mouth:

Warning: There is strong language in this video :wink:

ROG:
If they are hogging and the inner lane is clear then use that - I do without any issues

I agree, but it is time they came down hard on these fools who can’t seem to drive in an appropriate left hand lane.

Annoys me to death!!! - I like to give the offender plenty of time to make their way over to the inner lane while I maintain a safe distance. If needed, this is followed by a quick flash just to wake them up, and if that doesn’t work, I give up and just undertake them. This makes me so mad that I’d happily sand blast their face off, but instead of showing the offender my frustration, I like to flash a beaming smile at them. As 9 out of 10 times, this results in the coffee shaker, meaning I can drive on in the warm glow, I’ve made their day! :grimacing:

Hopefully a few of them are later thinking, why was that guy smiling at me like that! :laughing:

If you going to bust the middle lane hoggers though, you would also have to include (I use the word loosely) the truckers that don’t have the brains to pull back into lane one, when its obvious they don’t have the power to make the manouvre on inclines, instead blocking the middle lane off for eons. More so when the lorry they are trying to overtake is actually pulling away from them and they still won’t drop back into lane one… :imp:

Yep lane hogging is annoying however flashing like a moron will acheive very little, well apart from destroying the night vision of those coming in the opposite direction, you muppet.

That said I can understand your frustration but your not the police, in fact the police arent even the police in these situations if they carnt be arsed with the paperwork or are near the end of their shift.

But I enjoy lane hoggers especially when smart motorways are active as I usually get the hard shoulder all to meself. Fair dos to a similar thinking truck on Friday who got on the hard shoulder before me and I let undertake so I could nip over and follow him through as we merrily undertook every other lane.

Oh and if your doing 68mph on the mway in a car thats approx 60 in reality and ■■■■■ speed, try going for 75 and be a man ffs. :wink:

tachograph:

Terry T:

Not only did he brake check a police car but when the blue lights came on the car driver at first right signalled as if he was going to stop in lane 3 :open_mouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dL4DPm-DE

Yeah that’s the one. Instant justice :smiley:

The correct way to enforce “Lane Hogging” laws is:-

Spot on a camera - someone in the middle lane long enough to get flashed up by traffic coming up behind, and then if they are still in the lane by the next camera - give 'em a ticket. :smiling_imp:
If they dispute it, add 3 points for “driving without due care and attention” seeing as they were admitting being oblivious to the irate traffic behind them… :exclamation:

On one of the rare bits of d/c on the A9 north of Perth I had some twit sitting in the outside lane and when I got up behind him he never attempted to move over so he got a flash and then another but then only half heartedly moved over and give me the finger as I passed so I gave him the coffee shaker in return. Thing is he then speeded up to sit on my arse end so I brake checked him hoping he would collide with the tow bar of my motor but he backed off in the end. Disappointed :frowning:

Dipper_Dave:
Yep lane hogging is annoying however flashing like a moron will acheive very little, well apart from destroying the night vision of those coming in the opposite direction, you muppet.

I don’t flash like a moron Dave, my overcoat is actually quite stylish! :smiley:

Worst ones are the idiots in lane 2 at 46, so you drop into lane 1 and go past at 52, only for them to speed up to 52 as well.
just another day at the office

Dipper_Dave:
Yep lane hogging is annoying however flashing like a moron will acheive very little, well apart from destroying the night vision of those coming in the opposite direction, you muppet

Thanks Dave, i knew you’d approve.

Reason to put on debrief bollocking for

“Why were you driving along the motorway at 44mph as shown on our isotrac trace?”

“It’s illegal for me to undertake guv…”

Oh. Alright then.

Question answered, problem solved. :sunglasses:

Lane hoggers are for the most part, amateur motorway drivers. I was driving with a friend up the M6 once and he asked me why I was bothering to keep changing lanes… “why don’t you just pick a lane & stay in it like I do”. Safe to say I put him right, but thats an example of the uneducated attitudes to motorway driving we are dealing with.

No point talking about dishing out tickets because theres never going to be enough traffic coppers to enforce it, just need better public awareness.

Bring back public information broadcasts on the TV. People need to see the consequences traffic wise to lane hogging.

Personally there is so much bad driving that people sitting in the middle lane, although frustrating, doesn’t really bother me anymore.

Firstly if they are staying in one lane at least you have a good idea what they’re going to be doing, as opposed to those that go from lane 3 to a slip road at the last moment or those that can’t seem to get themselves onto a motorway.

Secondly I think many of them would present more of a hazard if they kept changing lanes, far to much to think about.

tachograph:

Terry T:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dL4DPm-DE

:smiley::-D:-D:-D
Quite possibly my favourite internet video of all time!

Firstly if they are staying in one lane at least you have a good idea what they’re going to be doing

maybe just me, but I am always worried about undertaking because of the possibility of the hogger having a sudden panic and diving into the correct lane…just as I get to his back end.

Thing is he then speeded up to sit on my arse end so I brake checked him hoping he would collide with the tow bar of my motor but he backed off in the end. Disappointed

thats a very mature attitude