Enforcement of the law concerning middle lane hoggers

ROG:
If they are hogging and the inner lane is clear then use that - I do without any issues

Firstly ‘lane hogging’ can easily be confused with the typical scenario of the driver who is ( rightly ) paranoid about the modern day draconian speed regime.Resulting in long drawn out overtaking moves dictated by the low speed differentials.Combined with other drivers who ( wrongly ) think that the speed regime is much more relaxed than it actually is.In which case your idea at best just provides the speeders with even more of an excuse to make a bad situation worse,by them then often going for an undertake at stupid speeds just as the overtaking driver finally decides that there is enough clearance to return to lane 2 or 1. :unamused:

While at worst the real lane hoggers,like the example in the police video,are obviously doing it intentionally with the aim of creating ‘issues’ with others.In which case you can bet that ‘that’ type of nutter will more than likely cut back in on anyone deciding to take the undertake option.In addition to all the other antics like braking on those who they are intentionally aggravating behind them.

In addition to the fact that the law can and do prosecute people for undertaking,based on the rule drive on the left overtake on the right,in anything other than the usually accepted ‘traffic moving ‘slowly’ in queues’ type situation.

Therefore,realistically,for that idea to be anything other than a case of a risky option,both in terms of danger or being nicked,it would take a change in the rules which clearly states overtake on either side.

Which would then still leave that worst of all worlds situation of the contradiction of a US type draconian enforced speed limit environment and ‘some’ drivers who know it and drive accordingly,mixed with others who are still ( erroneously ) going by the good old fashioned European attitudes to speed limits being seen as a ‘guideline’.Resulting in typical uk motorway examples of around 85 mph + v 75 mph undertaking moves to match. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused:

Doing in motorway road works is more annoying.

Do we really want these fekkers in lane 1 ?

Carryfast has been brought to you today by the phrases bs and low speed differential…

Had the classic middle lane hogger last night, about 11pm M62 EB between 34/35 I’m in a 3.5 ton transit doing 70mph, car in Lane 2 doing 60, I’ve got 3 options,

1, carry out 6 lane changes, and use lane three.
2. Sit behind at a safe distance till he/she wakes up.
3, pass using lane one with the least amount of fuss, hopefully waking the road user up from their day dream…

I used option 3…

ive spoken to a traffic copper about this not long ago.

he said to me its not considered undertakeing as long as you dont change lanes to do it. in other words you can cruise along in lane 1 undertaking cars to your hearts content but if your in lane two and move to lane 1 to do said undertake you are then committing an offence.

I was actually quite enjoying reading the posts then I came across the one from Carryfast!
OMG how can anyone write such drivel?.. :unamused: What do you mean CF ?

philgor:
Had the classic middle lane hogger last night, about 11pm M62 EB between 34/35 I’m in a 3.5 ton transit doing 70mph, car in Lane 2 doing 60, I’ve got 3 options,

1, carry out 6 lane changes, and use lane three.
2. Sit behind at a safe distance till he/she wakes up.
3, pass using lane one with the least amount of fuss, hopefully waking the road user up from their day dream…

I used option 3…

Option 3 is good, using my airhorns at the same time to warn the hogger that I’m there is also good :grimacing:

That video soundtrack breaks all our rules on swearing but I will leave it alone as it illustrates the point well, however I don’t want to see other videos with that amount of swearing!

Denis F:
That video soundtrack breaks all our rules on swearing but I will leave it alone as it illustrates the point well, however I don’t want to see other videos with that amount of swearing!

You’re right I should have linked to it rather than posting it here.

Sorry :blush:

Carryfast:

ROG:
If they are hogging and the inner lane is clear then use that - I do without any issues

Firstly ‘lane hogging’ can easily be confused with the typical scenario of the driver who is ( rightly ) paranoid about the modern day draconian speed regime.Resulting in long drawn out overtaking moves dictated by the low speed differentials.Combined with other drivers who ( wrongly ) think that the speed regime is much more relaxed than it actually is.In which case your idea at best just provides the speeders with even more of an excuse to make a bad situation worse,by them then often going for an undertake at stupid speeds just as the overtaking driver finally decides that there is enough clearance to return to lane 2 or 1. :unamused:

While at worst the real lane hoggers,like the example in the police video,are obviously doing it intentionally with the aim of creating ‘issues’ with others.In which case you can bet that ‘that’ type of nutter will more than likely cut back in on anyone deciding to take the undertake option.In addition to all the other antics like braking on those who they are intentionally aggravating behind them.

In addition to the fact that the law can and do prosecute people for undertaking,based on the rule drive on the left overtake on the right,in anything other than the usually accepted ‘traffic moving ‘slowly’ in queues’ type situation.

Therefore,realistically,for that idea to be anything other than a case of a risky option,both in terms of danger or being nicked,it would take a change in the rules which clearly states overtake on either side.

Which would then still leave that worst of all worlds situation of the contradiction of a US type draconian enforced speed limit environment and ‘some’ drivers who know it and drive accordingly,mixed with others who are still ( erroneously ) going by the good old fashioned European attitudes to speed limits being seen as a ‘guideline’.Resulting in typical uk motorway examples of around 85 mph + v 75 mph undertaking moves to match. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused:

+1.5432266549076544322177788877648023
Havent read it all yet but due to the amount of words used I reckon I have to agree.

No offence CF as your posts are very informative. But any chance of a couple of short ones instead of a really long one (thats what she said)…

That video is comedy gold. I bet he/she only got a telling off by plod though.