End of an era at Truck and Driver

It saddens me a great deal to have to tell those of you who haven’t heard already that Dave Young (TK Dave on here) is being made redundant from his current position as Editor of Truck and Driver magazine.

Dave has always been one of TruckNet UK’s greatest supporters, and it is no exaggeration to say that without his help - in the form of exposure and the opening of many hallowed doors - this website simply would not exist in it’s current form. Few members here have any idea the extent to which we all owe him a huge debt of gratitude.

On a personal note, Dave is a dear friend to both Rikki and myself, and has been a patient and supportive mentor to me as I’ve made my first faltering steps into the world of Transport Journalism. Another example of something which would not have happened without him, and for which he is thanked wholeheartedly…Add to that the phone and ear which were always available to any driver who needed a shoulder, and his absence from the T&D helm will be felt deeply indeed by drivers all over the country.

I’m sure you’ll all join me in both commiserating and wishing Dave the very best of luck in his future as he returns to the freelance world…And “Don’t be a stranger, Dave!!!”

YES LUCY had heard about this hope that he
will be happy and enjoy himself in what ever
he wishes to do and yes please ddo keep on
postin as you contributions are ones that are
well informened and ever so helpful to one
and all,

Good luck Dave, hope you soon get summat else sorted out quickly.

As one who pops in now and then,what did he do■■?

Froggy
go tothe first post and take your time when reading
as all will then be revealed,

brit pete:
Froggy

:laughing: I think you need to stop reading my posts Pete, as my sarcasm seems to be rubbing off on “others” :open_mouth: :laughing: :sunglasses: .

brit pete:
Froggy

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

thats excellent.

Is Truck and Driver closing down? Because as I understand it, it is the position which becomes redundant, not the employee.

Dave has helped me out before; all it took was a phone call and he sorted my ‘problem’ pronto! Good guy.

I wish you all the best Dave, in whatever you do next. Keep in touch.

Sorry to hear the news Lucy, Dave has always supported my groups, Lady Truckers Club and the Driver & Family Help Line for many years, He was always just a call away and he is going to be sadly missed.

Whatever you are planning Dave my friend, keep in touch with us all cos we all care about you.

Danneke ■■

I’ve only ever met Dave once, briefly, but I am aware of how much he has supported this site.

Dave. I wish you well in your future career.

Perhaps with your allegiances less tethered, you may become a more frequent contributor, with the questions becoming more thought provoking. :unamused: :unamused:

And therefore harder for us to answer. :slight_smile:

good luck in the future dave i wish you well…but with your departure…it could be the end of T & D…if theyre starting the wind down procedure…and a sad miss it will be for a great transport magazine.

Thanks for the kind comments guys,

I’m not in a position to say much at present as with the help of the union (I’ve always been a member but this is when you really need them!) I’m still negotiating leaving terms. One of which is for me to continue to write for T&D, the magazine I’ve nurtured for 13 years, as a freelance. (Or, of course, go back to driving wagons.)

One point I would make: Small magazines are currently having a hard time. Supermarkets increasingly replace local newsagents and they can’t be arsed with ‘special interest’ titles.
Large international publishers - such as T&D’s - would often rather get out of magazines - ditching costs and complexity in the form of printing and distribution - in favour of the internet.

Trust me, men in suits have no sentiment, if you value and enjoy T&D it’s very much a case of buy it or lose it.

Good Luck Dave :smiley:

Dave,

May I echo others best wishes, good luck for the future and thank you for your support of Trucknet and those who give their valuable time to keep this site running.

Good luck Dave, very sorry to see you go. All the best for whatever you do in the future.

We will always be in your corner Dave. You have been the Grande Fromage at T&D since I started out and life wouldn’t be the same without you!

I do understand the point you mention about the changing world of publishing and about the Lowest Common Denomination sales strategy of Sainsways etc

But don’t get me started on that!

Redundant!? I thought sales were up?

Gutted :cry: good luck Mr Dave Young all the very best matey

So if Dave is made Redundant the place of Editor cannot be filled, so i assume T & D is finished.
Good luck Dave

All the best Dave, whatever you choose to do. Don’t forget you are not redundant, your current post is.

Dafman:
So if Dave is made Redundant the place of Editor cannot be filled, so a ssume T & D is finished.
Good luck Dave

Agreed, the position must remain ‘redundant’ for 6 months before it can be filled again. Hopefully this isn’t the beginning of the end, still T&D came back once before so who knows.