Employing a CPC Holder

I know this is an old post , but could someone point me in the right direction to finding one I could hire, in the Midlands, as someone put it for lip service, but i’m sure it involves more.

Dieseldogsix:
I know this is an old post , but could someone point me in the right direction to finding one I could hire, in the Midlands, as someone put it for lip service, but i’m sure it involves more.

If by “lip service” you mean you want a CPC holder to front up, take the dosh & stay clear, I think you might have trouble bud. I recon most CPC holders now are seeing their qualification as a long term investment, so would be stupid to ‘put themselves on offer’ by letting someone potentially loose their repute by allowing them to run a haulage business under their responsibility, without having any control.

Good luck in your search tho.

Ross.

Lee G:
just a general question for you o/ds out there

if you dont have a cpc of your own for your o licence and need to employ someone as your CPC holder how much do they charge you per week/month to do it?

how involved do they get with the company or is it just lip service for the o licence and they let you get on with it?

if you wann apost on here all well and good but if you dont then a pm would be nice

many thanks lads and lasses

PM sent :wink:

Dieseldogsix:

Stanley Mitchell:

Dieseldogsix:

PM sent Stan

Bigr250, yes I think “lip service” was the wrong term to use your right.

An old post I realise, however an update that is worthwhile sharing.
Firstly, the guidance note about the number of hours a TM has to allocate to a licence (one of four allowed) can be found in the document gov.uk/government/uploads/s … nagers.pdf
Though interesting to note, the TC is reviewing the hours and it is expected these will be dropped to a more appropriate level, although this will still amount to a ‘ceiling’ on the earnings of a Freelance Transport Manager. A mute point I guess :slight_smile:
And on the question of how much, few are charging by the hour mostly by the number of vehicles (again a legacy of the regs limiting part-time transport managers to 4 operators and 50 vehicles) Generally, First vehicle £350 and £100 for additional vehicles/monthly seems to be the order of the day, although have seen much higher rates than this.

I know this is my old thread but thought i would update a little bit.

The 8 hours per operator isnt hard set in stone. On my first operator it was 4 hours per week. I had to get a letter off my current employer about reducing my driving hours and to be honest it was a bit of a faff around. But 1 year on and were doing well. No problems from the OD at all. No expense spared on maint, hardly any infringments at all. Glad im doing it now.

I have now taken on a second operator. The hours wasn’t a problem as we foresaw the hours problem/question popping up so we were prepared but the fact he had been a bit naughty 15 years ago was a stumbling block. Talk about jumping through hoops. From start to finish it took nearly 6 months to get the licence issued. He will be a little more work to start with for the first couple of months but i think it will be worth it.

But were finally off on the road to getting off the road at last. Just a few more customers on the other side of my business and i will hang my keys up for good.

just a general question for you o/ds out there

if you dont have a cpc of your own for your o licence and need to employ someone as your CPC holder how much do they charge you per week/month to do it?

how involved do they get with the company or is it just lip service for the o licence and they let you get on with it?

if you wann apost on here all well and good but if you dont then a pm would be nice

many thanks lads and lasses

PM Bugcos, he is a CPC holder for a company, don’t know how much he charges, but he does more than “lip service” as you put it.

he goes in regularly to check on things such as tachos and maintainance records

does bug still frequent these here parts? i havent seen him around (or rather read his posts) for a while

he does still come on here accaisionally, but not as often as he used to

Just be careful who you are nominated cpc holder for, you haven’t had the certificate long, it would be a shame for Ms Bell to have it off you before it even dries.

Good Luck Lee, many people have asked me, mates included, but I ask myself, would you buy a used car off your best mate? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Just be careful who you are nominated cpc holder for, you haven’t had the certificate long, it would be a shame for Ms Bell to have it off you before it even dries.

Good Luck Lee, many people have asked me, mates included, but I ask myself, would you buy a used car off your best mate? :stuck_out_tongue:

im not thinking of doing it just yet, just looking at options for the future in a few years time when i get fed up of parking in laybys, pooing in carrier bags and cooking a slap up meal on one stove in one pan!

Lee G:
…pooing in carrier bags…

The phantom ■■■ bag slinger is alive and well :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Scotchbaz:

Lee G:
…pooing in carrier bags…

The phantom ■■■ bag slinger is alive and well :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

they get triple bin bagged (so they dont split or stink) and put in my side locker until i get to a bin that i can put them in.

Its about £120.00 a month for the first vehicle,then an extra £40 for each additional vehicle. Thats what the agencies charge. A lot of freelance CPC holders, charge £25 a week for first vehicle and £5 to £10 for each addititional vehicle. Make sure you do the job properly,check the tacho’s ,maintenance records etc. You will be in the dock with the operator if the smelly stuff hits the fan,and possibly lose your good repute.

Dave the Renegade:
Its about £120.00 a month for the first vehicle,then an extra £40 for each additional vehicle. Thats what the agencies charge. A lot of freelance CPC holders, charge £25 a week for first vehicle and £5 to £10 for each addititional vehicle. Make sure you do the job properly,check the tacho’s ,maintenance records etc. You will be in the dock with the operator if the smelly stuff hits the fan,and possibly lose your good repute.

Considering the Traffic Commissioner expects 8 hours per week per operator, I can’t believe that people with CPC will work as a TM for £120 per month - thats only £3.46 per hour!

Smart Mart:
Considering the Traffic Commissioner expects 8 hours per week per operator, I can’t believe that people with CPC will work as a TM for £120 per month - thats only £3.46 per hour!

playing devils advocate here :wink:

assume you are the CPC holder for a one vehicle operator

What are you going to do for 8 hours a week ?

Denis F:

Smart Mart:

6 hours down the road to keep your hand in :laughing: Sunday double time, makes sense to me

Denis F:

Smart Mart:

Yes I do act as TM occasionally. Its the TC that wants 8 hours, not me. I did mention to one visiting VOSA tacho man that, as I was at the time TM for 3 owner operators, each with one vehicle, - " do you expect me to read the same related article three times, once for each operator" !!

There is no way you can actually spend 8 hours per operator even if they have several vehicles - its just the TC not grasping the situation, or indeed what is really the case, not wanting TM’s that are part time!

Of course if I allocate the time spent on Trucknet, then the 8 hours per operator is easily achieved. :laughing: :laughing:

However it must also be remembered that it is the CPC holders repute, and the fact that he has to have ‘full and effective control’ of the operations, that command the remuneration and not necessarily the fee itself.

I was at one time TM for a one man coach operator who never actually had a vehicle on the road - he was not at all keen on paying me anything, but eventually did when I got through to him that whilst I was his TM I couldn’t take on another operator, because at the time I had three and the TC wouldn’t allow any more than that! The total vehicles was 2 between the 3 operators, all within 15 miles of each other! At the time a well known operator with 900 greenish vehicles only had one TM!