Employing a CPC Holder

Where does this 8 hours minimum come from? which document?

Wheel Nut:

It’s one of the ‘secret documents’ the TC’s keep among themselves! One of the mysteries of life I guess.

On one application for an operator for me to be TM (TM1G), it asked for any other employment, to which at the time I was Managing Director and Company Secretary of my own Limited Company (sole director and only employee! (Now no requirement to have a Company Secretary, so I’m just MD! :laughing: ) The TC initially refused me as TM because he thought that as a Company Secretary of a limited company, I wouldn’t have the time to act as TM!! - Finger really on the pulse there!!

BTW the form TM1G is worth a look at - whilst it doesn’t say about the 8 hours, it does require real commitment, with regards to hours worked and even the relevant days!

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/D … icense.pdf

Wheel Nut:

Hi Malc,
I’ve done the ‘TM for hire’ thing, so I can assure you that Smart Mart is correct, because I’ve had exactly the same paperwork from none other than Ms Bell. :open_mouth:

I can’t refer you to a specific document, cos it was a few years ago and I can’t remember the name of it. :blush:

:bulb: An idea might be for you to contact the TAO and say that you’ve been asked to become a nominated TM, then ask for them to send you some ‘guidance.’ :wink:

IIRC, the guidance states that for 1 - 3 vehicles, a TM needs to put in a minimum of 8 hours per week.

One of the cases that I was involved with was an ‘O’ licence conversion from ‘Restricted’ to ‘Standard National.’
The operator complied with all my advice at first, then the new discs were forthcoming from the TAO and you’d have thought that things would have been OK, but that wasn’t to be…

Only after the new discs had arrived did the operator contest the “8 hour” requirement. :smiling_imp:
Being an honest chap, I’d showed him the original document from the TAO at a very early stage. :wink:

In his wisdom, the operator decided that he wasn’t prepared to carry on with our arrangement, so I explained that it would leave me with no choice other than to resign as TM. He wasn’t to be budged and neither was I. I duly sent the operator a resignation letter by recorded delivery and also sent a copy of the resignation letter to the TAO and got an acknowledgement letter in return. That was one of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made, so it was job done, and my repute didn’t even become an issue. :smiley:

Smart Mart:

Denis F:

Smart Mart:
Considering the Traffic Commissioner expects 8 hours per week per operator, I can’t believe that people with CPC will work as a TM for £120 per month - thats only £3.46 per hour!

playing devils advocate here :wink:

assume you are the CPC holder for a one vehicle operator

What are you going to do for 8 hours a week ?

Yes I do act as TM occasionally. Its the TC that wants 8 hours, not me. I did mention to one visiting VOSA tacho man that, as I was at the time TM for 3 owner operators, each with one vehicle, - " do you expect me to read the same related article three times, once for each operator" !!

There is no way you can actually spend 8 hours per operator even if they have several vehicles - its just the TC not grasping the situation, or indeed what is really the case, not wanting TM’s that are part time!

Of course if I allocate the time spent on Trucknet, then the 8 hours per operator is easily achieved. :laughing: :laughing:

However it must also be remembered that it is the CPC holders repute, and the fact that he has to have ‘full and effective control’ of the operations, that command the remuneration and not necessarily the fee itself.

I was at one time TM for a one man coach operator who never actually had a vehicle on the road - he was not at all keen on paying me anything, but eventually did when I got through to him that whilst I was his TM I couldn’t take on another operator, because at the time I had three and the TC wouldn’t allow any more than that! The total vehicles was 2 between the 3 operators, all within 15 miles of each other! At the time a well known operator with 900 greenish vehicles only had one TM!

I have in the past been CPC holder for five operators,at the same time,one with 16 vehicles,the others one man bands. As long as you do the job properly,its not a problem. I have spoken to Vosa on several occasions,and have had a good response from them. If an operator doesn’t abide by the rules and won’t listen, I withdraw my CPC,and have done,twice in just over twenty years.

I have been trying to find a link to this information but I was made aware of this in October.
Just thought it might be handy :slight_smile:

The European parliament has approved new conditions for access to the road transport industry, which
includes limiting the number of operations a transport manager can manage to four with a total number of 50vehicles.

Pat