Employed drivers-reducing stoppages

as the title says is there any way a employed driver can reduce his stoppages
this week i paid-tax-130.40
n.i 73.32
pen 25.00
total 228.72
its a big chunk of your weekly wage gone on taxes,ni, so is there anything we can claim for etc,etc
ta

Do you work for an agency or a company? If its a company, nowt is probably the answer.

Conor:
Do you work for an agency or a company? If its a company, nowt is probably the answer.

company connor, so im guessing its close pension,and cut the hours from 80 hrs to 40 hrs :wink: ,just hoping i mayof been able to claim for fuel etc

Write to tax office saying that you are a driver & have to pay for your PPE then you will be able to claim some of the tax back ( or should I say your tax code should go up so you pay less tax

Are you paying emergency tax by any chance :question: :question:

I believe if you have a company uniform and you wash it at home you can claim for that?

animal:
Write to tax office saying that you are a driver & have to pay for your PPE then you will be able to claim some of the tax back ( or should I say your tax code should go up so you pay less tax

no not paying emegency tax,just doing up round max hours,hours are getting longer and longer, stoppages are getting more and more,doesnt seem that long ago i was earning £250 p.w, now im paying nearly that in stoppages,already claiming for uniform, hought there may of been something i was missing out on ta

Have you claimed for safety boots hi viz hard hat gloves :question:

Like I said write to you tax office as they will have a standard tax code for drivers & as has been said the washing of your uniform

muckles:
I believe if you have a company uniform and you wash it at home you can claim for that?

That is correct,think this can be claimed back up to 6years ago :smiley:. Cant remember how much it was exactly but 6 quid/month sounds familiar to me so 6x12x6=£432…forgive me if the sum is wrong but i’ve just come in from work!!!

what many don’t realise is that even on paye you can fill a tax return in at the end of the financial year just as you would a self employed driver and claim for virtually everything, i.e travelling costs, work wear etc, if your a tramper the inland revenue has set the cost of a night out @ £29.50 so if you get £20 per night you can claim the £9.50 for every night out over that year, that dosn’t mean they give you the £9.50’s back it means it’s non taxable so you get rebated the tax paid on that amount and anything else you can claim as an expense, not a huge sum of money but always nice to get something back off the taxman.

So you would be able to claim the costs for the following then:-
1,medical
2 drivers licence 10year renewal fee
3 drivers digi card
4 drivers cpc
i ask as these are paid to government bodies,
I did not know that you can claim for fuel for commuting to and from place of work, what about other running costs such as road tax and insurance,lol

paul b:
what many don’t realise is that even on paye you can fill a tax return in at the end of the financial year just as you would a self employed driver and claim for virtually everything, i.e travelling costs, work wear etc, if your a tramper the inland revenue has set the cost of a night out @ £29.50 so if you get £20 per night you can claim the £9.50 for every night out over that year, that dosn’t mean they give you the £9.50’s back it means it’s non taxable so you get rebated the tax paid on that amount and anything else you can claim as an expense, not a huge sum of money but always nice to get something back off the taxman.

As an agency driver I would very much like to claim some money back from the taxman, but I don’t know how to do it, and how do I prove things, obviously if I started today I could save receipts, but what about last week or last month ? I provide all my own kit gloves boots hivis coat clothes etc, wash it all, travelling costs, etc ? Maybe someone in-the-know could post a nice guide of “how to claim as much back from the bloody taxman as possible”

As an agency driver you can claim for a huge list of things. Download and fill in tax form P87. You will need ideally to have records of every job/assignment you went to so that you can prove you went there, also you need to figure out the mileage from home-job-home round trip and this can be claimed at £0.40 per mile for the 1st 10 k miles, hotels, clothing etc you’ll need receipts for this 40p p/mile encompasses the running costs of you car (insurance, tax etc)
the despised nova website has a basic list guide of things you claim for novacontracting.co.uk/employ … elines.pdf
If your an employed driver your more limited as to what you can claim. As you employer is mean’t to provide all the ppe etc. You have to stand the fuel cost etc for travel to work. So as an employed driver you have to bend over and get shafted by both your employer and the tax man, & thank em for the privilege but that’s what you get for being in a secure full time job with all the social benefits (dole money, holiday pay & pension etc)

However if you was either self employed or Ltd Co more option are open to you. Including VAT registration lower NI & income tax etc

Not entirely sure about this one so don’t quote me but at my last job a rumour went round that due to the fact we were classed as ‘mobile workers’ that is to say we were unable to take our rest breaks and therefore eat our meals at our base we were allowed to claim an allowance for food bought out on the road. Lots of drivers from the depot approached the tax office regarding this as we were not paid meal allowance etc. I personally got £2.00 per day worked back dated for 3 years and was told very kindly by the tax office that in future to claim I would have to keep my receipts.

HOWEVER!!! other drivers were refused and when they approached the tax office asking why other drivers had received it they were fobbed off with the Data Protection Act. I have since left the company and don’t know the outcome for these other drivers. Just to clarify though we were employed by the company and did get the clothing tax allowance. Your clothing has to have the company logo on it and if you get washing tokens or payment in anykind for washing your uniform you don’t qualify and I got that back dated 6 years at £30 per year!!

Hope this helps best thing is ask. Simple rule in life is if you don’t ask you don’t get!

paul b:

You can only claim travel to work if you don’t go to the same place of work hence agency drivers going to different places can get it but employed drivers running out of the same yard can’t. You can only claim workwear if you or your employer set up an agreement with the Tax Office in the pay district of your employer. The same applies for a meal allowance.

ady1:

animal:

no not paying emegency tax,just doing up round max hours,hours are getting longer and longer, stoppages are getting more and more,doesnt seem that long ago i was earning £250 p.w, now im paying nearly that in stoppages,already claiming for uniform, hought there may of been something i was missing out on ta

is £250pw a stobart wage?

It is a sad fact of life that those of us that work have to pay bucket loads of tax to finance those that CHOOSE not to work. We always have done and we always will.

So you would be able to claim the costs for the following then:-
1,medical
2 drivers licence 10year renewal fee
3 drivers digi card
4 drivers cpc

I tried for the licence and medical and was refused on both about 5 years ago.

No doubt they will say that as you get the five year renewal free, that offsets the cost of the ten year one. The odds are stacked against those willing to do a days work, in favour of those that laze about claiming every benefit they can.

By my reckoning that means you earned about £800 last week, leaving you with £570 or so to scrape by on.

Many experienced drivers on here would be grateful for that as a start, so make the most of it while you can.

animal:
Have you claimed for safety boots hi viz hard hat gloves :question:

Like I said write to you tax office as they will have a standard tax code for drivers & as has been said the washing of your uniform

Write to your tax office I work agency so wrote to the tax office that they had provided me and this changed my tax code simple but it can take upto 3 mth

You can claim tax back for upto 7yr with interest