Emigrating to Spain

Hi,

I am thinking of moving over to Spain to the Murcia region. Apparently there is a container port in Cartagena which is near where I’m looking to move. Does anybody know what the Spanish container companies are like to work for? What sort of hours and pay would you expect over there? I’m hoping it can’t be worse than I currently get working for an agency out of Southampton Container Terminal, £8 per hour!

well you wont get 8 euro an hour in murcia :open_mouth: the whole of spain currently has over 20% unemployment so bosses can be choosey over who they employ.
as cost of living is supposed to be cheaper than the UK then so the wage structure is lower plus the region of murcia is probably the worst affected by the influx of romanians as they prefer to work on the agricultural sector then when their language skills improve they take to driving.
i’m not trying to sound like a bigot or not realising that i’m a foreigner here as well but it is widely known that there are fridge companies paying 1200 euros a month :open_mouth: to the romanians which to them is a fortune, more than doctors get in their own country.
the hours on national work in spain are long, tip in the morning wait for hours until afternoon reload then need to work late to tip the next morning, much better on international :smiley: :smiley:
also can you speak spanish? its ok in the holiday resorts as the bars want your money so they speak english but turn up at a factory inland and they don’t speak a word of english.
if you want to move to a certain area for a reason then go for it as the way of life is much better and so laid back but don’t move just because of the work situation as you could have a nasty surprise

Totally agree with all above, if you want to move there and get a driving job FORGET IT! NOT HAPPENING! NADA!

I moved to spain because i wanted to get out of the UK and have a better lifestyle, my last job in the UK before leaving wasn’t truck driving and my first and job in spain wasn’t truck related but it’s a good option to have your licence.
if the OP has read my reply and got cold feet them i’m sorry but why fill you with bull and tell you everything is great? living in spain is, in my opinion, great but just don’t rely on being a truck driver to pay the way especially in murcia.
maybe hombre will be along to confirm some details, he had to leave home here in spain for a while to look for work at one stage it was that bad

Thanks, good advice. To be honest I was planning for that to be the case and in the back of my mind looking for an excuse to get out of truck driving. If its not worth the effort and unlikely to give any benefit should I find work then I think I’ll look for work elsewhere! By the way with the language thing I’m learning Spanish now and don’t intend to move til I can speak reasonably fluently. Thanks again for all advice

PaulWeller:
By the way with the language thing I’m learning Spanish now and don’t intend to move til I can speak reasonably fluently. Thanks again for all advice

Many people looking to move overlook the whole language thing, (fairly essential as most of the comms between the office and you will be by telephone) so well done for cracking on with learning Spanish. Of course the catch 22 is that you’ll probably only become reasonably fluent if you live in the country, or surround yourself with Spanish ex-pats who speak to you exclusively in their native tongue.

Hope it works out for you :smiley:

you could consider the local expat removal firms but its no easy ride, I did it in Estepona in 2000 for 6 months and lost 10 kilos in weight.

glad to hear you’re trying to learn the language its surprising how many brits don’t bother.
as for the job front if you want to move regardless of career then its a good choice, there is work around just don’t always compare wages with the uk as i said in the majority of cases the cost of living is cheaper.
good luck with it and keep us posted

Best of luck,if you do move,Cartegena has a large naval/army base,a medieval town,with a marina,i once read a report on an english driver,who was working for a Spanish firm near Murcia,this was about 5 years ago,his wife traveled with him and they rented an appartment near to a beach,the story was in a truck magazine.

toby1234abc:
Best of luck,if you do move,Cartegena has a large naval/army base,a medieval town,with a marina,i once read a report on an english driver,who was working for a Spanish firm near Murcia,this was about 5 years ago,his wife traveled with him and they rented an appartment near to a beach,the story was in a truck magazine.

it was campillo palmera wasn’t it? used to be quite a few brits on for them and they had a story in a magazine some years ago, now campillo palmeras are mostly bulgarians

Yes,it was James,Campillo,i totaly forgot the name,the trailers have a palm tree signage,they were or may still are a main player,do all sorts,from tankers,fridges,tautliners,where are they based again,they used to have Dutch,and German drivers,i did note that a lot of fridge firms and owner drivers have religous cab and trailer writting and pictures of a religous nature,seen that on the back doors of the trailers.Anything from the Virgin Mary to Jesus,and a priest,who i dont know the name of,who is very popular in Spain.

it’s a very religious country toby, there is a fridge company called Transandreu, all scanias. every fridge has a huge picture of Jesus on the back left hand door.
I don’t remember exactly where campillo palmeras are from but i should do as i’ve passed it often enough :blush:
another favourite for the spanish is to put family members names on the truck, ours have the bosses sons one on either side of the cab and his daughter and wife on the front, the amount of people who think my name is Julio makes i laugh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Paul Weller,are there any local schools or colleges that may offer language classes at night,i took my Dad to learn Italian and Spanish.In mainland Spain,the language is different to the Northern Basque area,that is written like Russian,and to the East,they have Catalan language,these two areas want to be independant from Madrid.
If you have children,they will enjoy the big theme park near Tarragona,near Barcelona,scary thrill seeking rides,it is called Port Adventura.
They have a rock singer called Manola Garcia,i have seen twice in concert,very big in Spain,kind of like their U2,another well known group is called Presuntos Implicatos.
While living in Portugal,a band called GNR,which is the same name for the Guarda de national de Republiqa,or the police,and a band called the Delfins,were very good.
Have you considered your tax position,with pension contributions,and capital gains tax,with reference to property,and when you die,to leave it to the next of kin,you have so many days to register your self at the town hall for residency purposes,as for the UK tax,there are so many days in the year allowed,with reference to domicille rules and laws,i would get my passport stamped to prove the dates of exit/entry to the uk.I would have a look at the HMR&C website on residency advise.

I have seen those photos,they must download the photo,and get in it printed on the cab sides,it makes you look twice when they are overtaking,you see very young chilren,if the driver is a a grand pa,or see nephews or nieces photos too.If i put a picture of my wife,it would cause an accident,as drivers would think it was a rabid german shepherd,with fangs.

PaulWeller:

yeah, dont rush back, youve been crap since you left The Jam :smiley:

sorry. :wink:

They eat late at night,around 22.00,when they think about food,but all day tapas,or mini meals.

kindle530:

PaulWeller:

yeah, dont rush back, youve been crap since you left The Jam :smiley:

sorry. :wink:

I don’t agree, I think his song “My Ever Changing Mood” was excelent :wink:

(also) Sorry!!

Ross.

Nah , Peacock soup was the best

welshboyinspain:
I don’t remember exactly where campillo palmeras are from but i should do as i’ve passed it often enough :blush:

Shame on you, Molina de Segura near Murcia :unamused:

Scotchbaz:

welshboyinspain:

Shame on you, Molina de Segura near Murcia :unamused:

Ahh, now I remember :blush: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: