Electronic handbrake in the new Volvo

Has anyone had any bother with theirs?

For instance you’re driving along and come to a set of lights put the handbrake on as normal you have the window down and you hear the trailer do a ABS sequence type noise and the handbrake realeases by itself? Without pressing the throttle pedal or touching the handbrake button it for a manual realease.

This has happened on 2 trailers now, a 2012 don bur and a 2003 dennison skelly.

This is a brand new fleet and nobody else has made any noises about problems and I don’t know if it’s the unit or the trailers. Typical no fault found the last time :unamused:

These two trailers it was happening intermittently and the only way to get the handbrake on was to switch the engine off.

Paranoid about being stationary on a hill with traffic behind me, just cannae trust it?!

Googled how it works and the only info I found is when you press the throttle it sends a signal via EBS to realease the brakes.

not had any bother in that way, but had an ABS sensor moved out of position on the unit somehow, until that was rectified later that day, i had to release the handbrake manually and didnt have any cruise control…
its all interlinked,
your problem wouldnt be so bad if it put the handbrake ON…

Don’t know about releasing but I seem to remember there was a thread posted before about recalls and one was that it would come on by itself, could be related?

Can anyone tell us of a single benefit an electric parking brake brings, particularly in a lorry…lets not get into cars where these things spawned.

I can think of a good few potential downsides to having one, the above being just one.

Juddian:
Can anyone tell us of a single benefit an electric parking brake brings, particularly in a lorry…lets not get into cars where these things spawned.

Easier hill starts for our agency Stobbie drivers, their eye-hand-feet coordination isn’t very good at the best of times… :unamused:

DJC:
it would come on by itself,

While you were driving along ? :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Juddian:
Can anyone tell us of a single benefit an electric parking brake brings, particularly in a lorry…

No. Just another thing to go wrong & certainly not something you want to have anything but 100% confidence in. What was wrong with a lever on the dashboard?

What’s wrong with one on the dashboard?

The fact that some turds were too lazy to even use that… but I agree, I much prefer a lever than, an automated/electric jobbie.

hiya…electric hand brake on cars…piffle…where i live 3 houses in the row have quite steep drives mine been one of them
our next door neighbor has a range rover. her drive is steeper than mine. when she reverses out its a case of click and rev
straight into the road. she has no control of this car at any time. the blasted things are a nightmare…the chap at the garage
i use was fitting a new cable.yes you still get one of those…1500 pounds for the cable and fitting and he was a few hundred
quid cheaper than the agent.stupid designers playing silly games nothing wrong with the old type handbrake setup.
John

I have one of those stupid electric handbrakes on the car I have just bought, when I went to collect it I had to walk back to the salesman to ask him where the handbrake was as I couldn’t find it !! :blush:

F-reds:

The fact that some turds were too lazy to even use that… but I agree, I much prefer a lever than, an automated/electric jobbie.

Would it not be very but very refreshing to have a truck manufacturer produce a motor with the absolute minimum of unnecessary equipment making the truck easy to drive , maintain , and repair etc , I am afraid the makers now have operators trapped into having even minor jobs carried out at dealers , it may take a manufacturer from some far off continent like China to produce a simple truck .

With all this euro 6 rubbish there won’t ever be a simple truck again.
I’m with ye on the hand brakes though, a pointless step toward technology. An air handbrake lever was a perfect way of doing it.

shugg:

F-reds:

Would it not be very but very refreshing to have a truck manufacturer produce a motor with the absolute minimum of unnecessary equipment making the truck easy to drive , maintain , and repair etc , it may take a manufacturer from some far off continent like China to produce a simple truck .

what ■■ use it once then throw it away cos it’s knackered !!

shugg:

F-reds:

Would it not be very but very refreshing to have a truck manufacturer produce a motor with the absolute minimum of unnecessary equipment making the truck easy to drive , maintain , and repair etc , I am afraid the makers now have operators trapped into having even minor jobs carried out at dealers , it may take a manufacturer from some far off continent like China to produce a simple truck .

Someone did, the Axor, and it was universally hated.

I have no issues with advances in technology. Ive always thought trucks lag too far behind cars technology wise, good to see them catching up. I’d like to see keyless entry and starting next

can I have my old A series ERF back please ■■
err, no, on second thoughts, I’ll put up with the Volvo

switchlogic:

shugg:

F-reds:

I have no issues with advances in technology. Ive always thought trucks lag too far behind cars technology wise, good to see them catching up. I’d like to see keyless entry and starting next

If only the Axor had a Scania badge on the front it would have not been a problem , no wonder Eastern European drivers are taking over !!! .

switchlogic:

shugg:

F-reds:

Keyless entry and starting would be a good step forward. However, i’m with the others on the electronic handbrake.

In fact jumping from a 2 year old fhb 420 Volvo with the lever auto gear lever, manual handbrake and euro 5 engine, it is a huge disappointment jumping into the new euro 6 version.

The engine just seems to have more lag and less umph, I don’t like the push button gear selector and don’t like the electronic handbrake.

The bit of technology I thought I would like - the USB pairing on the Stereo - I can’t get to pair up with my iPhone 5.

I only work Saturdays but much prefer it when given the older Volvos.

I’m all for progress when it moves the job forward/makes it safer, to me an electronic handbrake is an unnecessary, retrograde step.

Ask any recovery driver why he/she carries a couple of £1 baking trays with them. It’s for putting under the back wheels of a car with its electronic handbrake stuck on so you can winch it up.

As Chicane says; a retrograde step.

chicane:
I’m all for progress when it moves the job forward/makes it safer, to me an electronic handbrake is an unnecessary, retrograde step.

as I’m sure the first one was from Volvo who used to (and might still have) an accident investigation unit which looked at various truck accidents and work on ways of avoiding them or making the chances of surviving them far more likely, it will be a safety thing to stop runaway truck and trailers.

As I haven’t used one in a truck so I can’t comment on their use or reliability, and if the problems are due to a flawed idea or lack of training in new technology.

I have used them in cars and not had a problem using them, seemed to do what it was supposed to hold the car when engaged and release automatically when pulling away.