Electronic handbrake in the new Volvo

switchlogic:

shugg:

F-reds:
What’s wrong with one on the dashboard?

The fact that some turds were too lazy to even use that… but I agree, I much prefer a lever than, an automated/electric jobbie.

Would it not be very but very refreshing to have a truck manufacturer produce a motor with the absolute minimum of unnecessary equipment making the truck easy to drive , maintain , and repair etc , I am afraid the makers now have operators trapped into having even minor jobs carried out at dealers , it may take a manufacturer from some far off continent like China to produce a simple truck .

Someone did, the Axor, and it was universally hated.

I have always thought as a better alternative the DAF CF is a reliable workhorse of a motor, ideal for cab hobbing supermarket type jobs. Worked at few places that run them now and they get the job done with minimal fuss & without falling to bits. Fairly comfortable place to spend your shift as well.

rob22888:

switchlogic:

shugg:

F-reds:
What’s wrong with one on the dashboard?

The fact that some turds were too lazy to even use that… but I agree, I much prefer a lever than, an automated/electric jobbie.

Would it not be very but very refreshing to have a truck manufacturer produce a motor with the absolute minimum of unnecessary equipment making the truck easy to drive , maintain , and repair etc , I am afraid the makers now have operators trapped into having even minor jobs carried out at dealers , it may take a manufacturer from some far off continent like China to produce a simple truck .

Someone did, the Axor, and it was universally hated.

I have always thought as a better alternative the DAF CF is a reliable workhorse of a motor, ideal for cab hobbing supermarket type jobs. Worked at few places that run them now and they get the job done with minimal fuss & without falling to bits. Fairly comfortable place to spend your shift as well.

Well said that man , a sensible comment for once , some companies ( Hardstaffs Haulage ) have driver spending all week tramping , or in my part of the world I regularly see Axors from Turkey making deliveries in Scotland .

according to the volvo handbook,when you turn the ignition/engine off, the handbrake is applied automaticly, so you can actually get out of the habit of putting the handbrake on… not a good thing if you then get back into a proper wagon. :unamused:

Shugg-

You do realise my comment was an observation, gleaned partly from here. I dont recall ever driving an Axor so I have no opinion of the jolly parts bin special. But I’m sure its a wonderful long haul truck if you say it is.

As for Volvos handbrake, Volvo being one of the most safety conscious manufacturers in the world no doubt did their research. The way some go one you’d think they just popped on the truck for a lark.

TruckOff:
according to the volvo handbook,when you turn the ignition/engine off, the handbrake is applied automaticly, so you can actually get out of the habit of putting the handbrake on… not a good thing if you then get back into a proper wagon. :unamused:

Exactly, you can visualise the usual don’t have a minute to live crew, ignition off whilst the lorry’s still moving (coo it’ll save all that old fashioned hard work of coming to a final stop via the footbrake, poor little loves haven’t got a muscle between them) be out the door, coat on, little kids baseball cap on, paperwork in hand and be 5 yards up the path before the wheels have come to rest and hopefully the parking brake will do as the good book says it will.
Then one day the computer will have an error 404 moment… :open_mouth:

Axor well respected by many of us, simple reliable durable and competent lorry.

TruckOff:

That alongside the widespread lack of use of trailer brakes… won’t be long until someone used to the electric parking brake finds his rig rolling off down the yard whilst he’s on the cat walk.

switchlogic:
As for Volvos handbrake, Volvo being one of the most safety conscious manufacturers in the world no doubt did their research. The way some go one you’d think they just popped on the truck for a lark.

They are fair enough in high end cars as not having to mess about with a handbrake in traffic etc. will improve driving experience. I get the idea. However in a truck I just don’t think the parking brake is something you want to be overcomplicating, just for the sake of saving drivers from the strain of having to reach for a lever every so often… something which I think is already easier than pulling up the handbrake lever in cars.

Motors already have a hill start feature that does the job. Just keep it simple.

Update…Nightman put it off the road last night as it happened to him aswell so at least I’m not imagining it. So it must be the unit as no other defects have been raised in any of the other trucks. Maybe it was built on a Friday afternoon :laughing:

Got a rented axor the day, am a bit of weirdo as I’m a fan of the axor :laughing: