Electric parking brakes

Satan’s design when in a particularly belligerent mood?

Seriously though, we all know you can perform a controlled stop with the standard parking brake.

But what about these new fangled bloody things, those i’ve been unfortunate to use are either on or off, if for some reason the foot valve failed or you had a leg seizure or for whatever reason you wanted to stop the vehicle on the parking brake, could you perform a controlled gentle stop with an EPB or would it be fully applied brakes instantly?

I tried it in a Renault. Was stuck in a queue of cars going uphill and was a little bit “eager” with the handbrake. My advice, if you try it, make sure there’s nothing in front of your face!

I’ve only driven…

A Renault that had an electric park brake. Although I didn’t experience any major drawbacks, I did feel uncomfortable with the thing all day. I just prefer and feel more in control if I have my hand on the lever that stops the whole outfit from rolling backwards on a wet rainy hill.

The MANs we have are all equipped with that anti-roll back switch, I rarely use that.

It is another device that is taking the little bit of ‘skill’ or ‘craft’ out of the job.

No doubt all the drivers who have them fitted will sing their praises but, I’m a little old school now.

Another former Renault user here.
They’re a PITA until you get used to it, then it’s second nature

In reality the chance of a complete brake failure due to a faulty braking system is highly unlikely!

Truck brakes are often blamed for causing crashes. Most commonly, this claim comes from the truck driver, who is trying to transfer blame from himself to a failure of the truck. When this claim is made, interested parties often assume that a catastrophic failure caused a complete loss of braking force. Stated differently, the assumption is that a defective component of the brake system spontaneously failed causing the brakes to no longer function. In reality, brake systems are designed so that a complete catastrophic failure is an extremely rare event. Therefore, alleged brake failures usually are not failures at all but performance problems stemming from deficient maintenance.

I would imagine it is much the same as most car EPB. Pull and hold the park brake and it should apply the brakes in a controlled manner to bring the vehicle to a controlled stop.

After all the brake mechanism is the same still mostly its just an electronic button instead of a lever.

I must admit I haven’t read the user manual of our Volvos cover to cover though.

simcor:
I would imagine it is much the same as most car EPB. Pull and hold the park brake and it should apply the brakes in a controlled manner to bring the vehicle to a controlled stop.

After all the brake mechanism is the same still mostly its just an electronic button instead of a lever.

I must admit I haven’t read the user manual of our Volvos cover to cover though.

Well yes, except a car EPB will usually only be operating on the rear wheels, so presumably applying full rear brake pressure but mitigated by the ABS system so preventing lock up, so it won’t be an instant stop at all.

Going to be an lot more violent on a wagon with every single brake applying, i’m thinking DAF and MAN here where the normal parking brake alos applies all wheels including the trailer.
Volvos and Scanias previously the parking brake didn’t apply the trailer brakes, has this now changed with EPB’s, would applying the EPB work only on the tractor or do they now apply trailer brakes like other makes?

Cos what i’m beginning to wonder here, is what and where exactly is the secondary braking system to be found on an EPB equipped wagon, there’s no initial movement on that silly little switch far as i’m aware, is a reliable secondary braking system no longer a legal requirement?

Like Nite Owl found i would expect a sudden stop, but would like to know exactly which brakes are being applied here? is ABS/EPB operational to control the stop? and finally is there a way to control the stop gently via EPB? like has been possible for the past 50 years before we went completely barking bloody mad and threw all the babies out with the bathwater.

Hopefully some of the mechanics on the forum might see this and chip in…bear in mind techs keep it simple enough for an old sod to understand :smiling_imp:

jakethesnake:
In reality the chance of a complete brake failure due to a faulty braking system is highly unlikely!

Truck brakes are often blamed for causing crashes. Most commonly, this claim comes from the truck driver, who is trying to transfer blame from himself to a failure of the truck. When this claim is made, interested parties often assume that a catastrophic failure caused a complete loss of braking force. Stated differently, the assumption is that a defective component of the brake system spontaneously failed causing the brakes to no longer function. In reality, brake systems are designed so that a complete catastrophic failure is an extremely rare event. Therefore, alleged brake failures usually are not failures at all but performance problems stemming from deficient maintenance.

That may be so that people blame machines to absolve themselves from blame. Do remember to that there are cases where it can and did happen. i expect it is rare today but I remember driving down to hill to a village in Co. Cork Ireland with an old F12 Volvo and fridge trailer. The trailer developed an air leak. One would expect the spring chambers to apply as the pressure dropped, they didn’t for whatever reason. Well I was told after “yes there was an issue with that truck”. I came down to the T junction and had zero brakes, house in front of me. For the love of God nothing was coming and I managed to swing left, up the road, air came up and up the road. Nothing damaged. Such an event never happened me again thankfully but it was very real at the time.

Juddian:

simcor:

Well yes, except a car EPB will usually only be operating on the rear wheels, so presumably applying full rear brake pressure but mitigated by the ABS system so preventing lock up, so it won’t be an instant stop at all.

Going to be an lot more violent on a wagon with every single brake applying, i’m thinking DAF and MAN here where the normal parking brake alos applies all wheels including the trailer.
Volvos and Scanias previously the parking brake didn’t apply the trailer brakes, has this now changed with EPB’s, would applying the EPB work only on the tractor or do they now apply trailer brakes like other makes?

Cos what i’m beginning to wonder here, is what and where exactly is the secondary braking system to be found on an EPB equipped wagon, there’s no initial movement on that silly little switch far as i’m aware, is a reliable secondary braking system no longer a legal requirement?

Like Nite Owl found i would expect a sudden stop, but would like to know exactly which brakes are being applied here? is ABS/EPB operational to control the stop? and finally is there a way to control the stop gently via EPB? like has been possible for the past 50 years before we went completely barking bloody mad and threw all the babies out with the bathwater.

Hopefully some of the mechanics on the forum might see this and chip in…bear in mind techs keep it simple enough for an old sod to understand :smiling_imp:

I think you are over thinking things far too much. Whether it is a little electronic switch or a park brake lever the principle is still the same. Rather than pulling and physically engaging a lever the button does the work by one press and click or opening the drivers door on ours.

I am pretty confident if you pull and hold it whilst driving the electronics can do exactly the same as you would with a park brake lever and gradually apply the brakes as you normally would.

simcor:

Juddian:

simcor:

I think you are over thinking things far too much. Whether it is a little electronic switch or a park brake lever the principle is still the same. Rather than pulling and physically engaging a lever the button does the work by one press and click or opening the drivers door on ours.

I am pretty confident if you pull and hold it whilst driving the electronics can do exactly the same as you would with a park brake lever and gradually apply the brakes as you normally would.

Having a car with EPB, and being curious to know how these things behave before getting into an emergency situation, I can tell you that (some, mine at least) are like pulling the cable handbrake on hard. Clearly only working on rear axle, and I haven`t tried it in the wet or ice, but it does work to stop you without locking the wheels.

CLOVER50:

jakethesnake:

That may be so that people blame machines to absolve themselves from blame. Do remember to that there are cases where it can and did happen. i expect it is rare today but I remember driving down to hill to a village in Co. Cork Ireland with an old F12 Volvo and fridge trailer. The trailer developed an air leak. One would expect the spring chambers to apply as the pressure dropped, they didn’t for whatever reason. Well I was told after “yes there was an issue with that truck”. I came down to the T junction and had zero brakes, house in front of me. For the love of God nothing was coming and I managed to swing left, up the road, air came up and up the road. Nothing damaged. Such an event never happened me again thankfully but it was very real at the time.

Yeah, I understand that it can happen but as time goes by the chances are very slim. Personally I am not a fan EPB’s but I certainly would not worry if I had one that my brakes may fail.

simcor:

Juddian:

simcor:

Yes probably am overthinking (though thinking learning and practicing stuff before the event has stood me in good stead up to now ta), but no one yet has told me where and when the secondary brake system is or vanished to, i’m talking about a controlled stop regardless of any electrical malfunction or anything else come to that so long as you able to control your hands, something that the secondary brake, ie the normal standard air park brake, allows variable control on all lorries, not some on/off switch sitting in a little recess in the dash reliant on computers and other electronic toys that just might not do as the maker intended.

For example of barely fit for purpose where brakes are conerned i offer you AEBS, a system riddled with flaws and false alarms, sometimes triggering just a warning, sometimes applying the brakes for no good reason where wholly unwanted causing instabilty where non was needed.

Juddian:

simcor:

Juddian:

simcor:

Yes probably am overthinking (though thinking learning and practicing stuff before the event has stood me in good stead up to now ta), but no one yet has told me where and when the secondary brake system is or vanished to, i’m talking about a controlled stop regardless of any electrical malfunction or anything else come to that so long as you able to control your hands, something that the secondary brake, ie the normal standard air park brake, allows variable control on all lorries, not some on/off switch sitting in a little recess in the dash reliant on computers and other electronic toys that just might not do as the maker intended.

For example of barely fit for purpose where brakes are conerned i offer you AEBS, a system riddled with flaws and false alarms, sometimes triggering just a warning, sometimes applying the brakes for no good reason where wholly unwanted causing instabilty where non was needed.

I get where you are coming from but on a truck I imagine the park brake valve is setup exactly the same as it is in older versions with the lever, the switch I assume would control a solenoid that controls the park brake valve. So it seems to me it really isn’t that different, instead of pulling a lever gradually the electronics sense the switch being held and slowly operates the solenoid as if you were pulling the peak brake gradually.

I hate them, I drove a Renault car with one, either forget to take it off or cant bloody find it in a hurry, it was easier to sit with your foot on the brake blinding the poor sod behind.

My friend had a Peugeot and it spent more time in the body shop than on the drive, it escaped three times, the final time it took the corner of a building out.

I suppose we will get used to them, Nicole wont have another yet, the garage are still blaming her, surely its either on or off!

Has anybody pulled the electric handbrake on only for it not to go on and no red light on either ? Well I have a few months ago in one of our volvos after pulling up at a level crossing on an incline i quickly pulled the little lever out which should engage the handbrake only I didn’t actually pull it out properly and didn’t check for the red light which indicates handbrake is on, lucky for me I only rolled back a few feet and didn’t hit anything but lesson learnt.

bald bloke:
Has anybody pulled the electric handbrake on only for it not to go on and no red light on either ? Well I have a few months ago in one of our volvos after pulling up at a level crossing on an incline i quickly pulled the little lever out which should engage the handbrake only I didn’t actually pull it out properly and didn’t check for the red light which indicates handbrake is on, lucky for me I only rolled back a few feet and didn’t hit anything but lesson learnt.

Pull it until it clicks back. Easily done by just pulling it quickly. That’s why our are fitted with automatic park brake when drivers door is opened. But tbh that is a pain when you jump in after pulling the pin and selecting drive to disengage the pin to then get out and remove lines because the park brake won’t release lol

Well I’ve had one now for, 4+ years in an FH4, find it’s good, few annoying things, Like Auto-realese not available, Manual only, Just push it in, The not pulling out sufficient to engage properly, yup done that a few times, as for stopping at lights, or a hill when you just want a slight hold, Well just pull the aux-brake lever towards you, that engages the brakes, Better than the poxy Hill start button, I do like the automatic on when Ign is switched off, You can gently pull Hbrake lever gently to apply light pressure…

It’s new technology,

I have it in my mind that the volvo ‘handbrake’ switch can be applied progressively over the movement before the click at the end of the lever pull to set on. Only just de installed the manual app on my phone or would have looked up to confirm.

Sadly now driving a t range which doesn’t have the notch in the switch when you set it so less convinced it has a progressive range of effect as you pull the switch. Might confirm on Monday…

njl:
I have it in my mind that the volvo ‘handbrake’ switch can be applied progressively over the movement before the click at the end of the lever pull to set on. Only just de installed the manual app on my phone or would have looked up to confirm.

Sadly now driving a t range which doesn’t have the notch in the switch when you set it so less convinced it has a progressive range of effect as you pull the switch. Might confirm on Monday…

Correct,about handbrake

How does the app apply the brakes, I haven’t seen that . :smiley:

biggriffin:
Well I’ve had one now for, 4+ years in an FH4, find it’s good, few annoying things, Like Auto-realese not available, Manual only, Just push it in, The not pulling out sufficient to engage properly, yup done that a few times, as for stopping at lights, or a hill when you just want a slight hold, Well just pull the aux-brake lever towards you, that engages the brakes, Better than the poxy Hill start button, I do like the automatic on when Ign is switched off, You can gently pull Hbrake lever gently to apply light pressure…

It’s new technology,

As you can tell i rarely if ever drive Volvos now, by auxilliary brake lever do you mean the 3 stage engine brake stalk, or is there a proper secondary brake lever (sort of modern day dead man) fitted which applies brakes independantly?

I too don’t use the hill start button, i’m in control ta very much, last time i used one was on a rental Stralis, the bloody gearbox took so long working out what gear it needed and once found re-applied power that the poxy hill start timed out and the lorry started rolling backwards, rubbish.

Don’t like the sound of Bald Bloke’s experience, might as well have a real parking brake that once it slots in place its there, end of, few times i’ve driven anything wioth an EPB i’m poncing about looking for a bloody light to tell me the brake’s on, don’t want that crap i want to hear a specific hiss of air (Clayton Dewandre Foden Style, no missing that) and feel and see a proper lever lock in place.