Easy or Hard

So, in a response to something mentioned in a recent post about the job of a driver is getting harder!
Whats changed to make it harder?
Ive been doing the job for 24 years now and IMHO it seems to me that it has actualy got easier.
I am a tramper on containers, most of the time starting sunday pm and finishing early friday pm, doing all the major ports and going all over England and Wales.
Only port I have a problem with is Seaforth.

weeto:
So, in a response to something mentioned in a recent post about the job of a driver is getting harder!
Whats changed to make it harder?
Ive been doing the job for 24 years now and IMHO it seems to me that it has actualy got easier.
I am a tramper on containers, most of the time starting sunday pm and finishing early friday pm, doing all the major ports and going all over England and Wales.
Only port I have a problem with is Seaforth.

Any Pentalver for me lol.

I think the vehicles are much better, bags of power, comfortable, decent headlights, auto boxes, abs and other electronic stabillity stuff, air suspension - both for the vehicles and for the cab.

BUT, there’s a hell of a lot of traffic on the road, I’ve seen it increase exponentially in the last 12yrs that I’ve drove for a living, and a hell of a lot of them are complete mindless numpties.
Then you’ve got the fact we’ve got mobile phones, trackers, and other pieces of equipment that mean we’re no longer out on the road away from the bosses, which includes tighter schedules.

Containers is probably the 1 job that’s a piece of ■■■■ (mostly) in this industry, I’ve done quite a variety and it’s not 1 to set a scale by really IMHO.

I’ve never done roping and sheeting, but it still goes on, got mates who work for companies like R Swain and David Bratt and Chris Bennett who do all the flat bed type work, so can’t see how that’s any easier than it’s ever been.

I’ve only been on HGV’s for just over 5yrs, was on busses and coaches before that, but I don’t see how it’s got easier really, possibly the actual driving part might be, with the power steering and all the stuff mentioned above, but it’s more than made up for by cameras everywhere, traffic everywhere and at all hours, even at 0330 going to work the other day I had to slow down on the motorway because there was so many vehicles every lane had a vehicle in bringing the speed down to around 65mph in the outside lane.
Cameras for speed, cameras for red lights, cameras for box junctions, cameras in trucks etc.

I’m just not sure mate, I think it’s just as hard but in a different way.

It’s a lot more stressful with the amount of bs some of us have to put up with…

I’ve Been driving 12 years nearly all tippers roll on skip and landfill push outs in London.
In some ways it’s better my current new fm has I shift and AC
and first motor I had was a y reg leyland constructor. It has got easier better lorrys skips are now telos optic booms makes life far easier land fill is all push out with easy sheet no artic tippers especially the notorious scissor trailer that went up on the back axle. Perhaps it’s rose tinted glases as I was young and keen. But health and saftey wasn’t as rife and we still ducked and dived. Ran on red on my first firm and fly tipped and ran from vosa even Dumped a motor in a check point. Went on a straight firm after but was still a firm ran by lorry men who wanted drivers who could think for themselves. I know I couldn’t do tesco or stobart where you defect a bulb and have to book in a workshop. At least there’s a few firms left who appreciate someone who will turn there hand to a bit of everything.

Only been driving since 2005 but have been involved with my dad since about 1992. I think most physical aspects of the job have got much easier, better trucks, better trailers etc…but for me that has been hugely offset by the massive increase in regulations and bureaucracy, which for me spoils the job.

better trailers not on DFDS ,some off their trailers came over with noah on the ark i think,other than that jobs got easier but money got worse

robinhood_1984:
Only been driving since 2005 but have been involved with my dad since about 1992. I think most physical aspects of the job have got much easier, better trucks, better trailers etc…but for me that has been hugely offset by the massive increase in regulations and bureaucracy, which for me spoils the job.

i find its hard most mornings :open_mouth: what with rush hour an that :wink:

I would say it’s a lot easier than the old days. Most of the work is curtain side nowadays so no need for roping and sheeting. :smiley:
The things that have got harder though are the schedules. It’s as if planners are convinced their vehicles are the only things on the road, all traffic lights green, customers waiting at the gates waving flags at your arrival and forklifts lined up ready and waiting to proceed. :open_mouth:

It’s harder finding somewhere to eat, wash and park up too. :cry:

berewic:
customers waiting at the gates waving flags at your arrival and forklifts lined up ready and waiting to proceed. :open_mouth:

More like won’t let you in and then once in they won’t let you leave :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

It was better when health and safety was called common sense

For most the pyhsical side of the job is easier, but I think genrally it’s more stressful and not at much fun. Maybe it’s just age cynsism though.

It’s not just the drivers job that’s got worse though, I was talking to a bloke who I first worked for 18 years ago. He says it was always cut throat, but we could have some fun. but it’s just no fun anymore.
Reams of legislation on both the trucks and employment side, and people cutting rates to below what they can make a profit for, means the trucks have to run flat out therefore so do the drivers.

its way more easy these days i got a bunk to sleep in! and they got motorways thesedays!

Jack-knife:
its way more easy these days i got a bunk to sleep in! and they got motorways thesedays!

Yeah, but todays motorways run like the old days a-roads

yeah but least they streight wi no traffic lights towns etc i find it alot more easy my trucks a pleasure to drive just got look out for muppett wagon drivers

truckerone:
better trailers not on DFDS ,some off their trailers came over with noah on the ark i think,other than that jobs got easier but money got worse

I was doing DFDS most of the winter and found their trailers very good as most of them are quite new. The old Norfolk Line ones need a bit of tlc and those hideous old ex Schnellecke mega trailers want scrapping immidiately. Unless ofcourse you mean DSV that was DFDS, in that case I have no idea!

the job is prety easy, but i’m always looking for a challenge i don’t really want it to be easy. that’ll make sense to some, and be daft to others.
the hardest thing about the job is all the rules and regs that can be manipulated to mean whatever they want. you can be ok in one country, then fined to the extent of bankruptcy in another. and they are piling more and more of it upon us.

limeyphil:
the hardest thing about the job is all the rules and regs that can be manipulated to mean whatever they want. you can be ok in one country, then fined to the extent of bankruptcy in another. and they are piling more and more of it upon us.

Could not agree more.

@weeto

Wow!
Is it “Easier” because you have a “Planner” doing all the routes and times for you…where you arrive on Sunday pm…pick up the paperwork…and truck…programme the “Sat-nav” and off you go■■?
Modern trucking is a breeze it seems…wish it had been like this in yesteryear. Pleased you are pleased with your lot. :wink:

Pimpdaddy:

Yeah most of it starts on this site.

weeto:

Pimpdaddy:

Yeah most of it starts on this site.

:laughing: :laughing: so very true :laughing: :laughing: