East European Drivers

Article on Teletext in the Western area how a verdict of unlawful killing was returned after a Grandmother was killed by a refuse? truck being driven by an East European driver with little experience.It also stated how he was involved in an accident the day before.
I was recently stopped by a Tescos non English driver for directions, i explained he would have to go to the next roundabout and do a 180 degree turn, he promptly got back in his cab blocked off a dual carraigeway , went against a U turn sign, had a lot of the trailer on the central reservation and then commenced to use his mobile phone.
Now, i am probably going to be accused of racism, but my point is i believe these drivers have a different view/mentality when it comes to driving.
A further point is i am coming to the conclusion they are being exploited by employers/agencies to a certain degree, as fellow drivers, human beings i wish them well, but i do feel there has to be some sort of retraining in the form of roadcraft in this country.

even better, some form of immigration control. i heard on the radio yesterday that unemployment is up by 100,000 people. i wonder why :unamused:

leslie youd only get accused of racism by an ignorant fool that dont understand that we and the east europeans are of the same race. unfortunately there is no shortage of these dummies and never will there be i fear. but take heart and ignore them as you have no obligation to educate the ■■■■■■■! :wink:

Its a very difficult call.Part of me says we do need to cut down big time on immigration and yet when i do early shifts bus driving probably 80 to 90 per cent of passengers are non white, all off to do low paid factory and hospital jobs.
Is this because younger English people just will not do these jobs and it is easier to claim benefit?
Sorry, not a lot to do with truck driving i know, but maybe part of bigger picture.

scanny77:
even better, some form of immigration control. i heard on the radio yesterday that unemployment is up by 100,000 people. i wonder why :unamused:

Because lazy workshy scum feel that low paid jobs are beneath them.

Conor:

scanny77:

Because lazy workshy scum feel that low paid jobs are beneath them.

I’d agree with that if you removed the word “low”, some people just don’t want to work. I’ve been lucky i’d say, i’ve never been out of work. But then again i’ve never been made redundant along with several hundred other people all from the same area searching for the same work so i do have a lot of sympathy for some of them, the MG workers spring to mind. But on the subject of East Europeans there is no doubt in my mind they have plugged any skills shortage gap in our job. One half of me admires them for having the get up and go to better themselves and the other half says…well lets just say who likes a load of competition!!

this is the problem, as leslie and mike have both said, theres no doubt theres been a skills gap, and the former soviet block workers have been used for that, lets face it, why else would the eu want those busted countries in the club. but its a short term fix thats not good.

enough is enoguh, and there should be a tighter attitude towards dossers, only the genuine deserve help, and they do it can happen to any one of us. genuine cases deserve welfare the cuckoos and others must be made to work or starve.

then maybe we can stop shipping people in from abroad and at the same time feeding the idlers out of taxes!!

Mal:
then maybe we can stop shipping people in from abroad and at the same time feeding the idlers out of taxes!!

definately! i do sympathise with those who genuinely want to work and even those who want to progress but face difficulties (eg 7.5 ton drivers who want HGV but cant afford it) but i have zero tolerance for those who choose to live off the state because they just cant be arsed. i have always worked and earned my way and i always will

scanny77:

Great minds think alike scanny.

Tony b

at one point you could earn far more working as a cleaner than as an HGV driver.
For the simple reason that no one wanted to be a cleaner, the only way to attract people to do it was to pay good money for doing it.

I mean i could have got a cleaning job for £7.50 ph with no training or spend the £1000 on my Class C and earn the same money. I know which job i’d actually ‘want to do’ so the choice was easy.

Trouble is society has taught everyone to better them selves and go to uni to study computers and the like, the lack of tech colleges means less people go into the trades which can now command a high wage. No one these days wants to be up to their arm pits in crap when they can have a nice clean 9-5 office job.
Many foreign workers though just dont care what they have to do for a living so long as they earn a wage.

Yes there are some lazy scum out there who just sponge off the state, but at the end of the day there ‘always has been’ and there always will be. it has become more hassle to sign on these days, at one time you just went along and signed on. Now you have to show you’re looking for work etc. there are still people who take the ■■■■ but how do you make a system that stops these people but still helps people that need it.

i suppose im one of those live and let live people so ive not really got a problem with the east europeans coming over here and working, if they are working and paying taxes like the rest of us then good luck to them. i just hope those that are drivers are given the right training and are safe on our roads. however i do have a problem with those who come and claim for and get everything and abuse our hospitality :imp: even though we all complain and moan about this country i cant think of anything that would make me leave and go and work somewhere else, they (the east europeans) must be pretty desperate.

With unemployment going up you still see coach loads of Poles heading to wherever to do work what others in this country do not want to do, my concern is the countries infrastructure from hospitals to housing it just cannot cope, but I must agree that we have in this country idle lazy scum that don’t want to work our get out of bed because it is just to ■■■■■■■ easy to sign on.

I think we’ve all seen those people who are scroungers and it seems whenever they make the rules harder all it affects is the genuine cases, the scroungers know how to play the system, I mean it’s thier job :laughing: .
I personally wouldn’t want to work with them, I have in the past when they are forced to take a job and they spend all the time trying to get the push so they can go back on benefit. :angry:

As for Eastern European Drivers I have less of a problem working with them, I’ve worked with Eastern Europeans before and never has a problem, in fact they’ve normally been quite a laugh.

My main concern is from some of the reports you hear about the quality of some the drivers. Are agencies getting candates through the test and shipping over here without any experience? If so it would make a mockery of these companies who scream we want 2 years experience.

Also who is really making the money, the driver or the agency? I know what happened with the Portuguese workers round here, they were promised a certain level of pay, then the agency deducts for rent, administration, transport and anything else they could think of. When the workers complained they were told they were here illegaly and if they went to the authorities they would get deported.

Maybe a really good investigative journalist could find out and break the scam wide open. Just a shame none of them read this board. :laughing:

A very recent but unfortunate comment from a transport office co-ordinator

“I like these Czeck Driver’s they don’t mind bring [zb[ed about” :open_mouth: :unamused:

CM:

“I like these Czeck Driver’s they don’t mind bring [zb[ed about” :open_mouth: :unamused:

Yep! but there is being [zb] about and getting all upset because you have been asked to do the job you’re paid for. Which seems to be a problem that some drivers have.

muckles:

CM:

Yep! but there is being [zb] about and getting all upset because you have been asked to do the job you’re paid for. Which seems to be a problem that some drivers have.

Agreed, I could now lauch into a tirade of how bad british management and worker attitude can be, which for me is the basic problem but I do not want to hijack Leslie’s post.

The agencies take make the most,other wise why would the have people going to the big eastern european cities opening offices interviewing and then finding places in the uk for the drivers they take on to stay in?What will happen when the unemployment rate which is on the way up reaches 2million?

Quite a good debate going on here …so i want to comment on a couple of points…some are calling the workshy lazy so and sos..but most of these people are from the lower classes of society..and without an education..so therefore..the jobs they are offered are paying far less than they are receiving from the benefits...making it un-viable to get up in the morning...blame the system not the people... The eastern bloc drivers who are supposedly taking our jobs..have a legitimate right to be here...they are members of a very large and soon to be larger E.U.......and wasnt tesco the first to employ these drivers...you know ..the company who a lot of hgv drivers shop at..well i believe they have sacked them all now...but turners still take them on...they are supposedly filling a gap of some 140.000 driver shortage...so if you think you are hard done by with the east europeans...wait till turkey is allowed to flood the market ...then you will have a genuine reason to complain... Some say that people must be desperate to leave their own country,.. they are merely trying to find a better way of life than their existing one...how many brits have moved to other countries in the EU…and are you forgetting the exodus of assisted passage to australia… so people move around all the time…but…we can blame the system yet again…why ■■? the reason migrants want to come here seeking asylum…is the very generous benefit system…whereby all you have to do to qualify …is to land here on these shores…you will be given benefits,travel permits…accommodation…and in some cases …mobile phones and cars…but you will not be left destitute…and the majority of migrants do not want to stay here…but to earn enough with which to save and then return to their own country…they struggle a great deal to survive with very high priced rented accommodation (£800 a month for a 1 bedroom) which is why many like to share …to ease the burden… so all in all…if we made it more difficult to claim…more difficult to obtain casual work…with no free handouts at all…we could lower the amount of migrants coming here substantially…but who would do the low paid…often very dirty…menial tasks that they are doing at the moment…certainly not the english…

Always remember Lads at the end of the day it will be your job that will be going regardless of which way you want to look at the picture , these ■■■■■■■■ coming over here are coming out the trees to work here, they think a sit down bog is rocket science and water coming out the wall is magic.

leslie g heath:
Article on Teletext in the Western area how a verdict of unlawful killing was returned after a Grandmother was killed by a refuse? truck being driven by an East European driver with little experience.It also stated how he was involved in an accident the day before.
I was recently stopped by a Tescos non English driver for directions, i explained he would have to go to the next roundabout and do a 180 degree turn, he promptly got back in his cab blocked off a dual carraigeway , went against a U turn sign, had a lot of the trailer on the central reservation and then commenced to use his mobile phone.
Now, i am probably going to be accused of racism, but my point is i believe these drivers have a different view/mentality when it comes to driving.
A further point is i am coming to the conclusion they are being exploited by employers/agencies to a certain degree, as fellow drivers, human beings i wish them well, but i do feel there has to be some sort of retraining in the form of roadcraft in this country.

I will call it that Way:
“He knows the direction and goes there if its right or wrong!”
Eastern European doesn’t have that much experiance with Carriageways and Motorways.
I know one who was close together with an Attache in Russia.
Eastern European and Russian Drivers had to do like a University to learn driving in one direction.
in that Case cauld you come to a Driver who did know each trafficlight from Moscau to Manchester,but would have not found back if they had sent them to Paris