Ear phones when driving

I am currently temp driving for a firm and the truck radio is poor. So I have been trying my mp3 player in the cab.

In my opinion you don’t have full control with them in and I’d go as far as saying they were dangerous. I see a lot of others doing it. Mainly younger drivers. I only managed about 2 mins before I gave up.

You aren’t aware of traffic noise. Sirens. Engine noise. For me its a no no.

Opinions?

Agree - Add that to pedestrians, and especially cyclist, the road becomes an ever greater danger

I’m not saying this to be clever, but----- just turn the volume down.

Good job you’ve stopped using them when driving, you have been breaking the law.
I have a “Parrot” Bluetooth device for my phone, I’m sure you can get a similar device that pairs with your MP3 player.

had a quick Google…

So what is the law on driving with earphones in?
Well, a spokeswoman from Gwent Police’s road safety division says: “There is no law specifically banning the use of earphones while driving.”
However, the use of earphones at the wheel would fall under the Road Traffic Act offence of not being in control of a vehicle, the spokeswoman adds.
"It would be up to the officer at the roadside to judge whether they thought the driver’s control was impaired by the use of earphones or any other activity such as changing a CD or smoking.
“If a driver listening to earphones was involved in a collision then they could face charges under the more serious offence of dangerous driving.”
Also, section 148 of the Highway Code states: “Safe driving and riding needs concentration. Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as loud music (this may mask other sounds).”

Read more: confused.com/news-views/blog … z2bNtlGNH9

Again depends on the copper pulling you i suppose.

Some times i use earphones… shunting mainly

Or if radio bust and on a trunk… but volume not set high…

macci:
Agree - Add that to pedestrians, and especially cyclist, the road becomes an ever greater danger

screw cyclists theyre a law unto themselves squash em all i say

midlifetrucker:
I am currently temp driving for a firm and the truck radio is poor. So I have been trying my mp3 player in the cab.

In my opinion you don’t have full control with them in and I’d go as far as saying they were dangerous. I see a lot of others doing it. Mainly younger drivers. I only managed about 2 mins before I gave up.

Opinions?

not saying some dont use ipods and mp3’s while driving but there probably the headphones on there phones. i do it while im driving have my phone in a holder then if someone rings i can take the call handsfree coz the headphones have a small mic attached. simples

deltawing:

midlifetrucker:

Opinions?

not saying some dont use ipods and mp3’s while driving but there probably the headphones on there phones. i do it while im driving have my phone in a holder then if someone rings i can take the call handsfree coz the headphones have a small mic attached. simples

correct lol +1

JJ192:

macci:

Hmm would gladly squash a cyclist but wouldnt chin some prat taking photos that would cause offence :unamused:

DUFFMAN:

JJ192:

macci:

Hmm would gladly squash a cyclist but wouldnt chin some prat taking photos that would cause offence :unamused:

yep cyclists are a pain in the arse they always the innocent victims bollox

I use headphones too, make sure they’re plugged in before you get a call though as some numpty I know is going on an awareness course because the bib saw him plugging them in :blush:

JJ192:

+1^^^^^

Strange that depending on the whim of a cop you can be prosecuted for due care because of wearing headphones, but if you are profoundly deaf you are ok to hold a licence!

JJ192:

macci:

Please elaborate. I’d like to know what’s the attraction in being involved in the injury or death of another human being.

Do tell.

I have an iPhone, and use them all the time.
I only use it for hands free calls, and the boys in blue have never bothered me yet.

Scanner:

JJ192:

macci:

Please elaborate. I’d like to know what’s the attraction in being involved in the injury or death of another human being.

Do tell.

its not an attraction to injure or kill anyone but cyclists are clearly to stupid to realise rights and wrongs on the road there are regular news reports and campaigns warning cyclist of riding up sides of hgvs etc yet they still do it then expect to be the innocent victims when ■■■■ goes wrong.
then the no good idiot cycle campaigners blame the real innocent people for cyclists retarded decisions.

JJ192:

Scanner:

JJ192:

macci:

Do tell.

its not an attraction to injure or kill anyone but cyclists are clearly to stupid to realise rights and wrongs on the road there are regular news reports and campaigns warning cyclist of riding up sides of hgvs etc yet they still do it then expect to be the innocent victims when [zb] goes wrong.
then the no good idiot cycle campaigners blame the real innocent people for cyclists retarded decisions.

But you said “squash em all”, then you go on to say cyclists make retarded decisions?

Scanner:

JJ192:

Scanner:

JJ192:

macci:

Do tell.

its not an attraction to injure or kill anyone but cyclists are clearly to stupid to realise rights and wrongs on the road there are regular news reports and campaigns warning cyclist of riding up sides of hgvs etc yet they still do it then expect to be the innocent victims when [zb] goes wrong.

But you said “squash em all”, then you go on to say cyclists make retarded decisions?

Cyclists aren’t the only ones who can be retarded :wink:

Denis F:

Scanner:

JJ192:

Scanner:

JJ192:

macci:

Do tell.

Cyclists aren’t the only ones who can be retarded :wink:

no maybe not but they are the ones who try to play victim even tho they at fault

Blah blah blah cyclists this cyclists that. Any chance of trying to keep on topic before degenerating into more anti cycling guff?
I don’t use them when cycling but I do, occasionally, when driving. It depends what’s on the radio, as soon as they get on my nerves in they go.
As far as the law is concerned surely it either is or isn’t legal, not on the whim of our heroes in blue.