E scooters

As if cyclists weren’t a big enough problem in cities the righteously indignant now think that E scooters allow them to go anywhere at up to 30 mph on the road or on the pavement without insurance, lights, number plate etc.

The Police had a campaign stopping them in London this week issuing fines in some cases. According to one of the stopped riders because the law is “old” he can ignore it since it is a ‘grey area’. No it ■■■■■■■ isn’t, it’s quite clear, they are illegal except on private land.

thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/95 … ridge-100/

"One of the riders caught during Friday’s operation, David Carboni, said it was “a little bit shocking” to be given a warning.

Mr Carboni, who bought his e-scooter last week, said: "They’re such good vehicles for the city. They’re reducing congestion, they’re reducing pollution. You really want to be able to have something like this to use.

“The law is old. It’s a bit of a grey area. We really need to resolve it because this is a thing you want in a city, rather than traffic.”

Since the police have started knocking the moped hoodlums off their steeds, I can’t see why it wouldn’t work for these gadgets too.

Maybe this is something useful they could do with that unmarked Actros?

The UK need to get with the times. Other European countries allow e scooters with max speeds of 20km/ or 250 watts to be used. How can they flat out ban them here while bleating about climate change and taxing the hell out of anyone who dares take an ICE vehicle into London.

maga:
The UK need to get with the times. Other European countries allow e scooters with max speeds of 20km/ or 250 watts to be used. How can they flat out ban them here while bleating about climate change and taxing the hell out of anyone who dares take an ICE vehicle into London.

+1

id bet the factories over in China have stepped up production after getting the nod from the UK agent hearing on the evening news that the go ahead over here is imminent

maga:

Because they have not worked out a way to tax them yet!

If it can travel at more than 15mph then its a motor vehicle and has to comply with the law. Tax insurance and the driver licenced. There are no grey areas in law.

These city types who ride about on e-scooters are just the pretentious pompous gits who annoy the hell out of me. Jim White the Talksport presenter rides one, so please feel free to knock the name dropping ■■■■ off it if you happen to see him.

Putting links up to that ■■■■ of a rag is worse than any e scooter.

Is an e scooter just an electric bike without a seat?
I cant see why one is legal and the other is not.
Can anyone enlighten me?

ROADRANGER:
Can anyone enlighten me?

Amongst other things it’s to do with speed and having pedals.
Those that do upto 30 MPH are in effect the same as a 49/50cc moped, other than lights, indicators, tax ins etc.

gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Traffic Rat:

Jesus H. Christ, the law about having pedals changed in 1976 and no motorised two-wheeler has had pedals since then, don’t they teach you anything in the Filth? :wink:

Harry,

The reply is on the context of the question about electric bikes in the post above.

If you had bothered to read the link…

But I’ll help you with the key line

"What counts as an EAPC

An EAPC must have pedals that can be used to propel it."

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

ROADRANGER:
Can anyone enlighten me?

Maybe, here for example is a Vespa electric moped which can be ridden on a category AM licence (automatically granted to anyone who passed their car test before 2001) which can be legally ridden on the road if it is registered.

ebay.co.uk/i/223214559334

Either way I personally think all electric scooters should be legalised, it’s difficult to imagine a more efficient form of personal transport.

Harry Monk:

Traffic Rat:

Jesus H. Christ, the law about having pedals changed in 1976 and no motorised two-wheeler has had pedals since then, don’t they teach you anything in the Filth? :wink:

Filth!!! I thought you were an educated man

alamcculloch:
If it can travel at more than 15mph then its a motor vehicle and has to comply with the law. Tax insurance and the driver licenced. There are no grey areas in law.

The law is cram packed with grey areas, loopholes, provisos, exceptions, exemptions, technicalities, escape clauses and anything else that special interest lobby groups could get away with inserting into laws to create the maximum amount of confusion and wiggle room.

If the law was clear cut and simple enough for an average person with average intelligence to understand then there would be no need for lawyers.

It’s no coincidence, BTW, that so many of our lawmakers are themselves lawyers.

Personally I dont see the problem with them. Any vehicle can be a menace if its being controlled by a pillock.

Maybe old plod can concentrate on the pillocks instead of the vehicles.

Think this about sums it up

4C8322C4-0F45-488F-92D3-CE343E0895B5.jpeg

Nite Owl:
Personally I dont see the problem with them. Any vehicle can be a menace if its being controlled by a pillock.

Maybe old plod can concentrate on the pillocks instead of the vehicles.

This all day long.
I have been commuting on an illegally modified ebike for over 6 months and because I dont ride on the pavement and stop for red lights whilst generally not behaving like a pillock Mr. Roadrats workmates dont give me a second glance.

Electric personal transportation devices are undeniably the answer in congested cities but as they become increasingly affordable, they will get into the hands of people who can’t handle them coupled with the selfish arrogance of other road users who are full of their own importance.

Sadly, stupid seems a difficult thing to prove in a courtroom.