Dying for Diesel

Just a thought. If hydrogen is the fuel of the future and only water vapour comes out of the exhaust; and every vehicle is running on hydrogen. Will it rain more?!.

alix776:
It’ll be the worst decision the government will make wanting us all to go for electric where are they the. Going to get revenue from they get now from fuel sales

That is an interesting point, there is no ‘duty’ as such on electric and only 5% vat. So basically the gov will need to raise the money in another way. raise income tax from 20% to 23% would cover all tax raised on fuel duty. (which sounds good to me as I no longer pay income tax and probably never will again :smiley: )

argosy2006:
Seems the simple answer is to change the fuel not the engine. I’m sure they could make a cleaner fuel to run the ‘‘diesel’’ engine .
Nothing wrong with the engines, they are great. They might want to invent a different fuel to run them though.
Diesel is a fuel of the middle ages.

In the shorter term the best bet is to use converted spark ignition truck engines running on LPG which is already there.

While if hydrogen is the future we can also burn that in ICE’s no need for fuel cell technology.The problem being that Hydrogen contains less energy than the energy needed to produce it.

tortoise:
Just a thought. If hydrogen is the fuel of the future and only water vapour comes out of the exhaust; and every vehicle is running on hydrogen. Will it rain more?!.

Would it not be more like ‘flooding’…

Water vapour condensing around you before it gets a chance to go skyward…■■?

Is it just me or has no one thought about the extra drain on the national grid and power stations when all these supposed eco friendly electric vehicles get charged up at the same time of day.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

gray_nw:
Is it just me or has no one thought about the extra drain on the national grid and power stations when all these supposed eco friendly electric vehicles get charged up at the same time of day.

It’ll be interesting at Leigh Delamare westbound and any and all services northbound A1/M1/6/40 on a hoilday Friday afternoon when several hundred/thousand cars descend in the space of 4 hours all requiring recharge at the handful of points, argument fisticuffs riots the order of the day, plus we’ll be more reliant on wind and solar energy by then with the last of the coal fired power stations demolished, investing in a popcorn franchise would be wise.

Juddian:

gray_nw:

It’ll be interesting at Leigh Delamare westbound and any and all services northbound A1/M1/6/40 on a hoilday Friday afternoon when several hundred/thousand cars descend in the space of 4 hours all requiring recharge at the handful of points, argument fisticuffs riots the order of the day, plus we’ll be more reliant on wind and solar energy by then with the last of the coal fired power stations demolished, investing in a popcorn franchise would be wise.

We could all invest in portable diesel generators - when parked up in the city centre we could fire them up and on our return from buying more pointless crap in the shops our environmentally friendly non polluting cars will be ready to go. You know it makes sense.

Bluey Circles:

Juddian:

gray_nw:

We could all invest in portable diesel generators - when parked up in the city centre we could fire them up and on our return from buying more pointless crap in the shops our environmentally friendly non polluting cars will be ready to go. You know it makes sense.

An excellent suggestion which i commend to the house.
Lorry driver’s version of hybrid without the ruinously expensive electronics, and you could run that Diesel genny on the red stuff for the win.

Course some of us will use banning as the perfect excuse to never have go anywhere near cities again (which we only go to on pain of death anway) unless being paid handsomely to do so.

Carryfast:
In the shorter term the best bet is to use converted spark ignition truck engines running on LPG which is already there.

You really need to get out more, as that’s already fallen on it’s face from what I’ve seen regarding adoption.
Apparently it’s crap and gains you nothing really, our firm trialed it and promptly binned the idea…

As for Hydrogen, I’d love it to work but believe it’s still got issues as you say…
As for more rain, would the North notice? :open_mouth:

Juddian:

gray_nw:

Popcorn, I can’t believe that we’ve got to a stage where people happily queue for 10 or more minutes to spend probably more than 5 quid on a couple of poncy coffee’s! :open_mouth:

I see what you’re saying about electric, but range is improving at a tremendous rate with advancements in battery tech. The Electric GrandPrix (Formula E) is picking up pace, so that and MAJOR money being thrown at the electric market by manufacturers, I think (and hope) we’ve a way to go down this avenue. Have you seen the ‘ludicrous’ mode in a Tesla? :grimacing:

die for this before i die laughing… :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=CpaMDE5qrsA

youtube.com/watch?v=3tKJ6oZOkNo

Evil8Beezle:

Carryfast:

You really need to get out more, as that’s already fallen on it’s face from what I’ve seen regarding adoption.
Apparently it’s crap and gains you nothing really, our firm trialed it and promptly binned the idea…

Are you sure ‘your firm’ actually converted diesels to spark ignition or just put LPG in a compression ignition motor and then predictably said it’s crap. :unamused: I’m guessing you mean the latter.

Carryfast:

Evil8Beezle:

Carryfast:

Are you sure ‘your firm’ actually converted diesels to spark ignition or just put LPG in a compression ignition motor and then predictably said it’s crap. :unamused: I’m guessing you mean the latter.

Is that the best Google can come up with?

Expert on everything again aren’t we?

Come on you can squeeze in some Hitler/Mussolini and a few Federalist before we get to page 3

wheelnutt:

Carryfast:

Evil8Beezle:

Carryfast:

Is that the best Google can come up with?

Expert on everything again aren’t we?

It doesn’t take an expert or bleedin google to know that LPG won’t work in a compression ignition motor.Meanwhile suggest you zb off and don’t bother replying on a topic unless you’ve got something intelligent to say.Which I know would be a problem in your case.

Come on, lets be fair about this C/F, you wouldn’t know what day of the bleedin week this is if it wasn’t for Google …

raymundo:
Come on, lets be fair about this C/F, you wouldn’t know what day of the bleedin week this is if it wasn’t for Google …

If I needed google to know that you can’t run a diesel engine properly on LPG I’d have been happy to tell everyone but I don’t.So as I said same applies to you if all you want to do is moan about my posts then zb off and don’t bother.

I can very well remember driving Foden’s with dual fuel for the Co-op out of Dalcross (nr Inverness as it’s out of your Surrey comfort zone) and they appeared to do so quite happily even in the highlands …

raymundo:
I can very well remember driving Foden’s with dual fuel for the Co-op out of Dalcross (nr Inverness as it’s out of your Surrey comfort zone) and they appeared to do so quite happily even in the highlands …

Firstly there’s not much point in going for alternative fuels for ‘eco’ reasons if we’re then going to keep using diesel.

While if ‘dual fuel’ works ‘happily’ do you really think that anyone would go to all the trouble of converting diesels to LPG properly on a dedicated basis.By reducing the compression ratio below that of compression ignition and installing spark ignition.

I haven’t fully investigated it, but i believe LPG conversions on Diesels are completely different to petrol conversions, certainly in car and van world.
The vehicle still runs on Diesel so keeping it compression ignition, but less than normal and the extra made up with LPG.

Course i could be waffling out me arse as usual.

Juddian:
I haven’t fully investigated it, but i believe LPG conversions on Diesels are completely different to petrol conversions, certainly in car and van world.
The vehicle still runs on Diesel so keeping it compression ignition, but less than normal and the extra made up with LPG.

Course i could be waffling out me arse as usual.

No you’re spot on.

‘But’ the really clever bit is the realisation that using diesel defeats the object of going for alternative fuel anyway and trying to use the incorrect cylinder pressure environment and timing of compression ignited diesel to ignite LPG doesn’t work properly.In which case there are people out there who have been working on that problem by converting diesels properly along the lines I described and running it on LPG on a dedicated basis.On that note I’d guess the old N14 would be a perfect candidate for such a move. :bulb: