Dying for Diesel

Four major cities move to ban diesel vehicles by 2025
bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38170794

Buy your bikes now before they become the preferred upper class means of transport!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s short cited kneejerk reaction I notice nothing is being done about petrol cars at all all the focus is on diesel. How are the going to get deliveries to supermarkets. Many people these days,can’t afford to change cars so run old diesels as there still efficient and go wrong less. Hmmm there’s a thought case manufacturers are getting behind it as it’ll mean workshops will be busier

Beginning to annoy me this,
Was told by a friend of the wife I should be running a newer car as 1987 vw is harmful to the planet,
So we should all buy Korean rubbish that is scraped after 10 years :confused:

yorkshire terrier:
Was told by a friend of the wife I should be running a newer car as 1987 vw is harmful to the planet,

Unfortunately yes! We live in a throw away society and stuff is obsolete not long after you buy it. How else does a capitalist society work if everyone has everything they need?

fredthered:

yorkshire terrier:

Unfortunately yes! We live in a throw away society and stuff is obsolete not long after you buy it. How else does a capitalist society work if everyone has everything they need?

Indeed, our economy is based on convincing us that what we have just bought is old-hat and that newer and better is now available. Keeps the haulage industry going though, if people stop buying nonsensical crap then we won’t have any pointless crap to keep moving about.

yorkshire terrier:

I suppose it depends on how many miles you cover; some back of the ■■■ packet calculations.
The production of a reasonable size new car emits about 20 tonnes of CO2
lets assume your 1987VW produces 200g/km CO2 and the new car would only produce 100g/km
Therefor if you changed car now, there would be no net benefit until you had done 125,000 miles in the new car. May be if you were going to do that in the next 5 years then may be there is an argument to change. If you are only doing 5,000 mile a year then I would have thought the ‘green’ thing to do is keep the old motor running.

I have never heard of anybody putting the hose from a diesel car exhaust inside to top themselves. I grew up on a farm and drove tractors with broken exhausts and a face full of fumes all day. And never had a problem. I think it might be all the crap they put into diesel today. 30 years ago when it froze so did your diesel well it gelled up.

Bluey Circles:

fredthered:

yorkshire terrier:

I suppose it depends on how many miles you cover; some back of the ■■■ packet calculations.
lets assume your 1987VW produces 200g/km CO2 and the new car would only produce 100g/km
Therefor if you changed car now, there would be no net benefit until you had done 125,000 miles in the new car. May be if you were going to do that in the next 5 years then may be there is an argument to change. If you are only doing 5,000 mile a year then I would have thought the ‘green’ thing to do is keep the old motor running.

Absolutely correct.
Another annoying thing is how many think it wrong to run a big car, but ignore their own co2 emissions from holiday flights. The old mantra of “the polluter pays” doesnt apply to flying. Tax free fuel. Get off a half occupied jet that has been pumping its co2 high in the atmosphere where it does most damage, and then put on a smug smile as you get into your Prius !!

Am I missing something here??
My euro 6 MAN truck makes virtually hot air coming out the exhaust, if you wipe your finger around the tailpipe on the DPF, its bare clean stainless steel.
So how do they work out that diesels in 15 years time or whatever, will still input all these harmful particles into the atmosphere?
All the old diesel sheds like the one I drive will be long gone anyway SO WHY will it be such a problem?? :confused:

fredthered:

yorkshire terrier:

Lucky for the planet my 1982 and 1987 Vw’s are off the road but my 1994 one with the very economical 2.9 litre engine (I can get 24mpg sometimes :sunglasses: ) is being used often.

I despise people that ‘own’ cars for 3yrs before getting a replacement get on their high horse about the environment and how my low mpg is worse then what goes into making a car and then disposing of it within 10yrs.

Franglais:

Bluey Circles:

fredthered:

yorkshire terrier:

Absolutely correct.
Another annoying thing is how many think it wrong to run a big car, but ignore their own co2 emissions from holiday flights. The old mantra of “the polluter pays” doesnt apply to flying. Tax free fuel. Get off a half occupied jet that has been pumping its co2 high in the atmosphere where it does most damage, and then put on a smug smile as you get into your Prius !!

The pinnacle of environmental nonsense has to be Leonardo DiCaprio, according to the following he takes a private jet from Cannes to New York to pick up an ‘environmental award’ then flies back to cannes on another private jet to continue partying.
independent.co.uk/news/peopl … 42326.html

I don’t doubt for one second that we are wrecking the atmosphere and heading towards climate change and environmental catastrophe, I’m sure the scientists are right. But I think its on its way no matter what we do, 10% of the worlds population (which includes us) are doing 90% of the environmental damage. And the other 90% of the worlds population want to live like us. Sadly I think there is little point in trying, as Fraser said “Wur Doomed”

So can we sue our government for advising to buy diesel engine cars like governments are seeing vw for fiddling their emissions?

Think I might send an email to Sadiq Khan asking him to get included.

On a side note saw a program where they were burning wood pellets at a biomass power station. Only problem with that they had shipped them (20 day voyage) from America and train journeys to and from the ports. All with diesel engines.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Used to make me laugh delivering around London… cyclists with face masks on. Anyway, so it’s trucks to blame for pollution. What do the 1000’s of London buses taxi cabs run on?

Hydrogen fuel cell technology will be the way forward; the only byproduct - water vapour. No doubt, the big powers are sitting on all the patents for it!..

simon1958:
Used to make me laugh delivering around London… cyclists with face masks on. Anyway, so it’s trucks to blame for pollution. What do the 1000’s of London buses taxi cabs run on?

Hydrogen fuel cell technology will be the way forward; the only byproduct - water vapour. No doubt, the big powers are sitting on all the patents for it!..

What about all the cars on short runs where the engine never gets to it’s optimal temperature, how much do they produce and do all the emission control systems added to modern vehicle work properly if they’re not up to temperature?

Seems the simple answer is to change the fuel not the engine. I’m sure they could make a cleaner fuel to run the ‘‘diesel’’ engine .
Nothing wrong with the engines, they are great. They might want to invent a different fuel to run them though.
Diesel is a fuel of the middle ages.

argosy2006:
Seems the simple answer is to change the fuel not the engine. I’m sure they could make a cleaner fuel to run the ‘‘diesel’’ engine .
Nothing wrong with the engines, they are great. They might want to invent a different fuel to run them though.

Diesel and petrol are easy to make, a process we have perfected for years whilst these new fuel types are still in their infancy. You look at electric cars, 5 years ago they were a joke. Oddly designed, 30 minutes run time for 12 hours of charge. Hugely expensive and wildly inefficient. Compare that to now, look at the Tesla Model S. A 400 mile run distance on a single charge which is comparable to your average large combustion fueled cars. A car that looks like a car and a bloody good looking one at that.

Radar19:

argosy2006:

Diesel and petrol are easy to make, a process we have perfected for years whilst these new fuel types are still in their infancy. You look at electric cars, 5 years ago they were a joke. Oddly designed, 30 minutes run time for 12 hours of charge. Hugely expensive and wildly inefficient. Compare that to now, look at the Tesla Model S. A 400 mile run distance on a single charge which is comparable to your average large combustion fueled cars. A car that looks like a car and a bloody good looking one at that.

It’s easy to tax too.( fuel ). Tax + VAT + any other ( F ) accumulation the government wants to put on it :imp: .
That ol’’ girl in Westminster got sweaty palms now. Watch that space…

It’ll be the worst decision the government will make wanting us all to go for electric where are they the. Going to get revenue from they get now from fuel sales

alix776:
It’ll be the worst decision the government will make wanting us all to go for electric where are they the. Going to get revenue from they get now from fuel sales

They have all vehicles fitted with trackers and tax you by the mile :frowning: or even the KM. :laughing:

alix776:

So. bring back the tram system then .Carry the goods to inner London from ( my idea from many posts ago ) on a transfer system…
i.e trolly goods from satellite warehouses on the outskirts of the M25, and no truck driver will have to venture into smoke CO2 again.

Alas. Utopia… Nobody believes me… just an :bulb: