DVLA removing HGV entitlements by mistake

I dont know the full details on this one but, a family friend has been a class 1 driver for 25+ years. He sent his licence off to get points removed and when he got it back they had removed his HGV entitlments :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

he contacted the DVLA and they said their records dont go back that far and that they had some technical problems since he got his licence back :confused:
so where unable to help and he had to prove that he had HGV entitlements before hand. :confused:

Last i heard he had to send his licence back to get entitlments put back on the licence.

Just thought id mention it and see if anyone else has experianced anything like this? :confused:

One of our ex drivers had a similar thing happen.
He left our place and when he started his new job, they asked for his license,. This is when he discovered that his CE entitlement that he’d held for over 15 years has been removed by the DVLA when it went back for some reason I can’t remember.
He contacted them, and they don’t hold records that far back, so as he was unable to provide a pass certificate for his CE, he had to retake his test :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Fortuntaely he passed it.

Lesson learnt from his misfortune.

Tipper-driver01:
Last i heard he had to send his licence back to get entitlments put back on the licence.

From what I’ve read (on here and elsewhere) he may not get them put back on. The DVLA don’t seem to accept any evidence, letters from employers etc…, that drivers have these entitlements and some people have had to redo thier tests.

I’ve had no problems myself, but there are other threads on TruckNetUK where people have mentioned having categories wiped of their license by the DVLA, I’ve scanned both parts of my license onto the computer just in case.

My advice is always copy anything sent to DVLA where I work we interact with Swansea all the time and they are forever loosing paperwork or claiming they never had it even though we can prove it was mailed to them.

We always copy anything we send to them

I still have my brown HGV origianal licence as proof of passing my test.

Kate:
One of our ex drivers had a similar thing happen.
He left our place and when he started his new job, they asked for his license,. This is when he discovered that his CE entitlement that he’d held for over 15 years has been removed by the DVLA when it went back for some reason I can’t remember.
He contacted them, and they don’t hold records that far back, so as he was unable to provide a pass certificate for his CE, he had to retake his test :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Fortuntaely he passed it.

Lesson learnt from his misfortune.

Would his previous employers not have photo coppies of his licence? (showing the entitlement)■■?

I guess so, but have no idea why they weren’t used as proof.

From personal experience of being an instructor, ive known, people have to retake the tests because the DVLA, god love em, dont accept photocopies, or any other evidence.

This has been a problem for a few years now. Works the other way round too though, you send off your licence to remove points and get a PSV entitlement or something added on by mistake. The DLVA are great arnt they?

hi
you can ask dvla to send your driving record to you it lists all of your entitlement dates of tests etc,etc it costs a fiver but i think worth it as evidence better than retaking your test

Kate:
I guess so, but have no idea why they weren’t used as proof.

Very easy to alter photocopies.

A police motorcyclist lost his bike entitlement when he changed address and didn’t notice for a few months. He had to retake his test even though the CC told the DVLA he did have it previously and was even a motorcycle instructor for the plod.
Usually, up to six months, they can back-track I’m told. After that is a big problem.

They were supposed to sort this out as many folk have “lost” additional entitlements.

They may well take a copy, but they best thing to do is get a certified copy signed off by a solicitor.

Best thing to do is probably apply for a duplicate and send the original back when they get it right.

ive always kept my licence ticked on form ive lost it and when the new one arrives i always find the old one :open_mouth: burn it and life goes on :laughing:
dont trust the DVLA sounds like theyll give a class 1 to anyone :laughing: :laughing:
unless you knock someone off a ladder while on test (classic) :laughing:

maybe 15 years ago a freind of my dad sent his licsence off to swansea and it come back with class 1 entitlement which wasnt on there before (had class 3 or 2 cant remember) and they coudnt take it off him due to some technicalities

I lost, or should I say, DVLA removed my Cat A (motorbike) that I had held for 8 years when I changed address. Nothing I did to prove it satisfied them and so had to do the test again!!

There have been a couple of threads on this here in the past.

marcustandy:
I lost, or should I say, DVLA removed my Cat A (motorbike) that I had held for 8 years when I changed address. Nothing I did to prove it satisfied them and so had to do the test again!!

There have been a couple of threads on this here in the past.

That is more common than anything. another forum I use discussed this recently and the answers from DVLA were scary as to why documents were lost :open_mouth:

I’ve been affected by this aswell. Lost category to drive large buses “Not for hire or reward” didn’t notice until ages after :frowning:

if you can produce your original pass certificates then surely they would have to put them back on your licence ■■? :question:

russjp:
if you can produce your original pass certificates then surely they would have to put them back on your licence ■■? :question:

Don’t you send that in together with your provisional license to get the full entitlement added?