DVLA Medical backlog for provisionals

Anyone else got any recent experience of turn around time for provisionals?
I just rang them today after its been a month since I sent my in my application. Apparently as of today they are seeing to applications sent in on the 21st of June! When I asked the lady how long it is likely to be she said how long is a piece of string! So I might not even be halfway through my wait yet.

What an absolute joke, it is so demoralising when you want to change your life and all you get is wait wait wait for such a simple thing as this.

So infuriating.

We have a doctor visit us once a fortnight to complete medicals. We had over 20 on Sat 16th and this week the office has been swamped with folks ringing to say their licence has arrived.

There are valid reasons why a licence isn’t issued straight away. Eg medical problem or medical form/licence form incorrectly completed, relevant conviction record, the list goes on.

But straightforward applications are being dealt with as promptly as normal - ie just over a week.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Did you have the medical done by your own GP?

Sorry to jump on board here, but a mate of mine wants to do his hgv. He has just given up bodybuilding and used steroids to gain mass. I told him about the wee sample he has to do for the medical. Will steroids show up in urine sample?

Wee sample no longer required - but it was only used for sugar testing anyway.

In reply to CMB82, I sent mine off on the 12th july and still havent received my licence back. When I rung last week they said it could take another 4 weeks because of the back log. Feel like Im never going to get it :frowning:

Thank you Pete, I’ll pass the info on. Again sorry to hijack

I sent my license off after passing my cat c on august 1st and still havent recieved it back so comming up to 4 weeks and still no idea how long it will be when i ring dvla.

ROG:

No for the simple fact they wanted £120 for it! Went with Driversmedicals.com for £50 which is reccomended on here. Why should that make any difference? I am fit and healthy with no health issues whatsoever so its as straight forward as an application can get.

kg1979:
In reply to CMB82, I sent mine off on the 12th july and still havent received my licence back. When I rung last week they said it could take another 4 weeks because of the back log. Feel like Im never going to get it :frowning:

Thanks mate sounds like you’re in the same boat as me. I’m resigned to the fact that it’s going to take up to 3 months to get my provisional. THREE MONTHS! Total joke for something like this if you ask me. Maybe others find this an acceptable waiting time, I don’t know.

The main reason I’m angry is that I thought I could realistically obtain my licences and hopefully find work in a 4 month period but that ain’t going to happen.

Its a right kick in the teeth tbh.

These times are not acceptable; I can only imagine there must be a reason for it as the vast majority are coming back as normal within a few days.

But I understand the frustration and I’m equally frustrated that I cant help.

Maybe contact your MP?

CMB82:

ROG:

No for the simple fact they wanted £120 for it! Went with Driversmedicals.com for £50 which is reccomended on here. Why should that make any difference? I am fit and healthy with no health issues whatsoever so its as straight forward as an application can get.

Often your own GP can put things differently as they know you which then causes un-necessary red flags at DVLA medical

Thanks for the help guys. Pete when I rang the DVLA they said there was a backlog of 18,000 applications. Whatever the truth, there is nothing I can do about it. So I better just stop crying about it and ■■■■ it up.

18k, that sounds like a cover up for all our staff are away as it’s the 6 weeks holidays and we have dropped a bollock

Hi,
I sent Medical and license to get provisional - sent Tuesday this week 2nd Sept. Spoke to DVLA today and they said approved and left DVLA and gone to Royal Mail advisor and may take 2 weeks…slightly confusing message…but hopefully will come soon…if correct what the dvla woman said that’s a fab turnaround and then am free to get theory passed and to the practical etc…

I’m confused! We have medicals every 2 weeks and the licences normally come back within the following 2 weeks. Most still are. And some are weeks behind for no apparent reason.

I think the applications are put in a heap and if they’re not cleared, the new ones go on top. That’s certainly how it seems. DVLA need to get themselves sorted and start providing a proper service IMO.

Im still waiting, over 7 weeks now. Hey whats the rush. :wink: Glad I havent needed my photocard licence.

My medical will expire on Tuesday, as it’s valid for 4 months apparently and haven’t received the provisional licence yet. Do they look at the medical when they receive the forms or whenever they start dealing with the application?

romik:
My medical will expire on Tuesday, as it’s valid for 4 months apparently and haven’t received the provisional licence yet. Do they look at the medical when they receive the forms or whenever they start dealing with the application?

As long as it was valid when you sent it to them you’ll be fine

Great, thanks.