Dumb pheasant failed at flying school

A daft bird with a brain the size of a pea, i saw him pecking on the grit on the hard shoulder, he then does not see or hear a 44 ton truck and decided to take off and hit my front grill with a dull thud, he is now deceased, dead, no longer here .
No damage on the lorry but i concur he did suffer a traumatic head injury, the Highways Agency shut four lanes of the motorway, not true that bit .
What animals have struck your lorry, i have heard of owls ending up in the cab roof spoiler .
I would hate to hit a barn owl or eagle .

Lol brilliant!

I hit a pigeon up the arse in a Citroen BX

Years ago now. It flew from the hedge at eye level and turned in front of the car to fly in the same direction. Flapping its nuts off. As if it was a pigeon in a pigeon car joining from a slip road. What was it thinking? Who knows.

I don’t know why I didn’t slow down a bit, maybe I did a bit, can’t remember. Well, not enough if I did. I guess I presumed he’d turn off. I was a bit mesmerised by it. I swear it kept looking over its shoulder at me. I was starting to get a fix off this pigeon.

Anyway I caught up with it until it was flapping its socks off over my plastic bonnet, then it ran out of puff and I hit it up the arse. Broke my bloody wiper off.

I’ve had a pigeon lodged in my grill drove it 100 mile and it was still there alive and kicking, I’ll try and dig the picture out.

I’ve hit several pheasants over the years only ever done damage once, smashed the n/s mirror cover and cracked the glass. I though I hit a branch at first then when I got out I seen loads of feathers lodged in the mirror casing. Hope it was a pheasant wouldn’t like to kill a bird of prey.

One of our lads had a swan try an hitch a lift with him from the river eden in Carlisle a few months back.

kin deer …first one ran across road turned and came back :unamused: ,went under taking cross over fuel line /brake pot on first drive and exploded . I have never been so dirty in my life under the unit at the side o the road banging a wooden stopper into the fuel tank and unhooking /winding of the brake lying in diesel and parts of bambi ,most off bambi was smeared under the trailer (needed powerwashed when back in yard as it started to honk ) then having to continue another 9hrs back to base.
no2 came out o the dark hit the nearside bumper and actually went airborn back into the darkness leaving some hair and a little scratch on the truck.

My first car (Peugeot 106) used to overheat constantly - being a new driver I didn’t think/bother/care to check the coolant until it finally became so bothersome I popped the hood.

What greeted me was the mangled/burnt remains of probably five birds of various species, tangled and spaghettified in and around the radiator mesh.

My missus had a robin poking out the grill of her car once the poor little thing, I did have a photo of it but seemed to have deleted it.

I’ve had a seagull hit the windscreen of the wagon and it’s amazing what a loud thud it was and very surprised he didn’t end up on my lap.

Many on here know that straight between Leominster and the Cadbury’s plant… Had me’ lad in the co-pilot’s seat… I yelled '‘Bandits… 9’ 0 clock . Two Fokker wolfs(■■■■ pheasants) & one hen.

Hen got away, clipped the next, and his mate ended up in my oven. New windscreen of course :laughing:

Dumb ■■■ pheasant dented the bonnet of my B reg Ford ■■■■■■…Git.

Then I had a dumb ■■■ pigeon launch itself at the windscreen on my Rover 214…That’s when I learnt never to swerve to avoid potential road kill, as I nearly had a head on with oncoming traffic.

The last ‘incident’, I sadly creamed a fox. Was at quite some speed, rural road, 3 am…it ran into the road chasing a rabbit. Took it bang in the middle of the car; went straight under. Only damage, the badge on the front grill fell off and the front valance was cracked. Vauxhall Astra…

:grimacing:

About 30+ years ago (no speed limiters then) while passing gate 14 on the M1 in an Atki Borderer, hit a pheasant which smashed the N/S screen and finished up in the cab.
Frit me to death - very nearly brown underpants job!

Steve

Going back about 55 years, I was riding shotgun with me dad in his Thames Trader artic. Steel reo on the trailer when an owl hit the screen. When we got to where were going we found the poor old owl skewered on the reo.

Hit a small deer.

Once when in he army in sunny Sardinia ,ahhh those where the days :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: used to have a dog that (a) didn’t like brit squaddie (b) Camoflagued land rovers ,and chased both of us ,when we where out on fitness or when in the Landy …Unfortunately one day it did catch the rear tyre ,the lad in the Rover behind did explain how it came out the rear axle ,ran off and was never saw again

You’re parked a bit to one side there radar. Shame on you.

peterm:
You’re parked a bit to one side there radar. Shame on you.

:laughing:

Pheasants and pigeons are the limpers of the bird world. Hit a few over the years (birds, not limpers) in the lorry, no damage. Hit a cat on my way to work years ago, which got up and ran off. Also hit a bloody seagull in pitch darkness on the M9 which broke the headlamp of my car. :imp: It wasn’t cheap to fix.

Had a few over the years: some of the more memorable ones,

1. when some dumb ■■■ pigeon fancier opened his wicker cage of homing birds in a layby on the A19 as I was passing! I didn`t feel sorry for him but felt sick taking out half a dozen or so birds.
  2. pheasant hitting windscreen of Volvo 86. I was luckier than others as it didn`t break it, but I still jumped out of my skin.
  3. last year a badger took off part of grill on my Passat, then this year a fox ran under it and took off bottom radiator hose. (rescued engine after coolant dumped, but fox was beyond repair).

Many years ago before the A14 was there I went from leicester to thetford via the A1 in an ERF rigid which had the grill bars across the front

a pheasant flew from the A1 grass central reserve across the front of the lorry - THUD - a few feathers fly past my window

It was a non stop run so the first place I stopped was in the yard at thetford and as I got out the cab the forkie said - “I like your mascot”

Looking at the front of the lorry there was a pheasant with a broken neck with its arse jammed centrally between the grill bars - head hanging down

it really did look like it had been placed there on purpose

got big plastic bag - put bird into it then took it back to base where a colleague had a dad who used to be a gamekeeper and knew how to make a meal of it = seriously

I was driving along in an artic on a Saturday morning on my way back to Peterborugh from Melton as I came round the back of RAF Cottersmore I was between two fields, one with beaters in it for the shoot and the other full of eager hunters. I got more Pheasents than they did! The beaters should have checked the road before they started.
Carnage.

Richard R:
I was driving along in an artic on a Saturday morning on my way back to Peterborugh from Melton as I came round the back of RAF Cottersmore I was between two fields, one with beaters in it for the shoot and the other full of eager hunters. I got more Pheasents than they did! The beaters should have checked the road before they started.
Carnage.

You were between a field of beaters and a field of shooters? Sounds like a ■■■■ dodgy place to be!

toby1234abc:
i have heard of owls ending up in the cab roof spoiler

Nearly,I hit a bleedin owl a couple of hours ago homeward bound on the A46 near Stratford. I saw it swooping down, after rabbits I think, I lifted off and tried to steer to the side a little but it followed me (they always seem to), it hit the centre of the screen with a massive bang then shot up and wedged into the exterior sun visor (Scania). I had nowhere to stop so carried on with two large, long legs with huge claws dangling down the middle of the screen like satanic fluffy dice. It fell out the first time I stopped at a roundabout with a hard dab on the brakes. Not nice. Ive had 2 other owls, several pigeons and a badger (big bugger) too. Roadkill is probably the thing I like least about this job, I have no wish to kill anything.